AWM990 turns on & off repeatedly

bhcduner

I currently own a 2016 Bighorn 3870FB , and I have never been completely satisfied with the unit. In any case the other evening the wife and I were sitting down to to watch a DVD and when she turned the unit it on all of the lights started to turn on and off repeatedly with the subwoofer thumping each time it did that. We turned the unit off for a few, turned it back on and it continued .We then turned it off for the night. The following day we were sitting outside the RV and the stereo came back on and played on the outdoor speakers without us touching it. I am having a hard time reaching out to anyone from Jensen, can anyone help me out , this has gotten very frustrating and or can someone recommend a different unit to use, preferably not Jensen. I have done some research and it appears that this unit is not the only one to have this issue I just kind a reason for this to occur or fix.

Thanks,Terry

RoadJunkie

I can't help with your problem except to say you're not alone. When I try to turn my unit on it repeatedly cycles on and off at about a 1 second duty cycle. It's hard to turn off because you have to sync the power button to when it is on for a second. I just turned it off and left it off, I don't need it with my sound bar and playlist.

wdk450

I did a Google search on this problem and it seems that other RV owners in other brand and unbranded RV forums have encountered this Jensen problem. I don't know if it is worth the cost of having it repaired at an electronics shop.

I bought a Sony 1/2 height Home Theater System several years back to replace my originally installed system. Unfortunately, Sony no longer seems to make these, but you can find other brands with websearches, on E-Bay, or Amazon.

CDN

B and B
This problem is related to low voltage on the Jensen head unit. I had one in my 2017 Bighorn. I double the DC supply wiring to provide less voltage drop and that stopped the problem in my case.

Brian

Kilroy

This problem is related to low voltage on the Jensen head unit. I had one in my 2017 Bighorn. I double the DC supply wiring to provide less voltage drop and that stopped the problem in my case.

Brian
Please expand on this solution for us total electric novices! I assume you removed the Jensen unit to access the back wires. But, how did you add the extra wire and where did you it connect it to? Did you have to remove any other wall panels in order to add another power wire? Is there concern also about grounding (an issue I have also read could be causing this)? Please... more insight would be most helpful!

wdk450

Larger gauge wires ( or a second redundant pair of wires) will result in less of a drop in voltage from the battery source to the electrical load due to a decreased resistance (restriction) to current flow.

I am thinking that if you do not use the stereo in boondocking (no shore power) situations, you could directly power the stereo 12 volts power inputs with an old laptop computer power supply plugged into AC shorepower. The laptop supplies all put out 12 volts DC, highly regulated and filtered.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You might want to check the output voltage before plugging in. Mine are rated at 19.5 volts.

Peace
Dave

bob.karen

I currently own a 2016 Bighorn 3870FB , and I have never been completely satisfied with the unit. In any case the other evening the wife and I were sitting down to to watch a DVD and when she turned the unit it on all of the lights started to turn on and off repeatedly with the subwoofer thumping each time it did that. We turned the unit off for a few, turned it back on and it continued .We then turned it off for the night. The following day we were sitting outside the RV and the stereo came back on and played on the outdoor speakers without us touching it. I am having a hard time reaching out to anyone from Jensen, can anyone help me out , this has gotten very frustrating and or can someone recommend a different unit to use, preferably not Jensen. I have done some research and it appears that this unit is not the only one to have this issue I just kind a reason for this to occur or fix.

Thanks,Terry
I just had mine fixed. the repairman said the power sub woofer and stereo share power. installed heaver gauge wire and replaced the subwoofer connector and al is good now. Voltage drop problem.