Awning has shifted on Roller tube

farside291

My awning has shifted about 2 inches toward the front of the trailer in the awning tube and now the arms don't align. I have read several posts that say just yank the awning and it will move in the roller tube. I tried that and it won't budge. I didn't see anything holding it in place. What am I missing. Am I not pulling hard enough? I tried with it not under tension and it still doesn't move.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My awning has shifted about 2 inches toward the front of the trailer in the awning tube and now the arms don't align. I have read several posts that say just yank the awning and it will move in the roller tube. I tried that and it won't budge. I didn't see anything holding it in place. What am I missing. Am I not pulling hard enough? I tried with it not under tension and it still doesn't move.

Sounds like it isn't rolling up straight.

With the awning extended out, are the arms adjusted the same?

If one is higher or lower than the other then it will not roll up straight.

farside291

I am thinking that may have been what happened. I adjust one side of the awning for rain runoff and the awning may have gotten rolled up that way. I know when I have inadvertently done this the arm that is retracted will extend even though the tension knob is tight. Now, both arms no longer mate with the arms on the trailer. The fabric is very tight in the roller tube. Maybe another set of hands pulling the fabric towards the rear of the trailer and it will move, its off about 2 -2.5 inches. The fabric is good at the trailer track just off on the tube. Like others have said, I don't want to tear the fabric.

farside291

Ok I tried again to pull the fabric toward the front of the trailer in the awning roller tube and it won't budge. Any other suggestions?

jnbhobe

Don't pull on the material use your force to move the tube and arms I just had to do mine and that was the easiest way. You can also lube both ropes in the tube.

farside291

I will try spraying WD40 on the rope then push the arm where it attaches to the tube. Hopefully this will work. Thanks for the advice.

farside291

I have the silicon spray I spray on my slide seals. That should work. I will give another try this Friday when I go back to the trailer.

SNOKING

If the awning moved in the tube track, then you need to extend it fully to move it back. If it moved in the trailer fixed track, then you should be able to let it out slightly and then move it. Chris

donr827 is telling you rite, you need to readjust the fabric so it is running Square then it will be pulling straight on awning. Loosen the screws on the end and adjust awning that way. Good luck

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

farside291

Thanks, I didn't get chance to look at it this weekend. I will look again for screws in the roller tube. If thet are there that would explain why the fabric won't move.

farside291

Finally got back from my trip and I was able to get the awning to slide in the roller tube by spraying it liberally with silicone spray, it was pretty tough to get it to move. But, within a couple of days of being extended and tied down it shifted again in the roller tube. I have never had an awning do this on any of my past RVs. I guess I will put a small screw to hold the awning from shifting. Thanks everyone for your advice.

tomhank

Your awning, a piece of cloth that may provide shade to almost anything underneath it, is supported by an RV awning roller tube. However, this tube may be damaged during your camping trip, in which case replace rv awning roller tube is the best option.

Last edited:

CoveredWagon

I HD the same issue. Went up on the roof, sat down and gave the roller a gentle push with,my foot. Problem solved. Easy P.easy

Piperflyer

When I did mine, I opened the awning. I then took the pressure off the end of the awning by propping it up with a 2x4. This takes the weight off the end of the awning making it easier to slide in the roller. Then I removed a screw that was holding the awning into the front track on the RV. After doing these two steps I was able to slide the awning in both tracks fairly easily & line them up. Once aligned, I put the screw back in the RV awning track.

SLO

When I did mine, I opened the awning. I then took the pressure off the end of the awning by propping it up with a 2x4. This takes the weight off the end of the awning making it easier to slide in the roller. Then I removed a screw that was holding the awning into the front track on the RV. After doing these two steps I was able to slide the awning in both tracks fairly easily & line them up. Once aligned, I put the screw back in the RV awning track.

This is exactly what I’ve done twice. Side note: Funny how we like to respond to threads that are 5 years old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tomhank

It may appear that replacing an RV awning roller requires a significant amount of effort. But if you gather the correct supplies and take your time with each step, you'll be able to enjoy your new RV awning without worrying about mistakes.