awning repair throw away nuts

Bobby A

I am getting ready to a awning fabric and shock replacement. Does anyone know what size of push nuts go on the awning arm ?? These are a one time use nut and if your lucky you might be able salvage them but I want to have some on hand. Its the nut thats on the awning arm, I think they call it a push nut.

Thank you,
Bobby A

donr827

I bought some at Lowes a few months ago. Mine was not for an RV but they had several different sizes.

wdk450

Dometic A&E, I don't have a tool to measure the diameter, I figured this would be a easy one for our Heartland fam. Thanks
For a measuring tool try an adjustable (Crescent) wrench, or adjustable snap (Channel lock) pliers just onto the shaft, then measure the gap of the pliers jaws. If a narrow shaft exposure, they make mini thin nose snap pliers, or maybe you could even use a schoolkids compass (used for drawing circles).

Bobby A

Thats a good idea Bill thank you.
So, hear is what I found and I'm still at square one. I was able to take one off without damaging it. I went to Home Depot with the old part and matched it up and picked up a package of them. It was 5/16th, I get back home and it just was way to tight to go over the shaft, I had to go to Lowes today and pick something else up, so I brought the old part and the new one and showed one of the guys in hardware. He gave me a 3/8th and said this should fit better because its the next size up. Well, I get home and try it and its to big!! Oh brother!! at this point I don't know what to do. You would think something so simple has given me so much grief !! Suggestions please !!

wdk450

Thats a good idea Bill thank you.
So, hear is what I found and I'm still at square one. I was able to take one off without damaging it. I went to Home Depot with the old part and matched it up and picked up a package of them. It was 5/16th, I get back home and it just was way to tight to go over the shaft, I had to go to Lowes today and pick something else up, so I brought the old part and the new one and showed one of the guys in hardware. He gave me a 3/8th and said this should fit better because its the next size up. Well, I get home and try it and its to big!! Oh brother!! at this point I don't know what to do. You would think something so simple has given me so much grief !! Suggestions please !!
Do you think that maybe you have a metric sized shaft?? More and more stuff is being made overseas where metric is the norm.

Bobby A

Bill,
I am definitely leaning toward that, so, I am not good with measurements, so if 5/16 is just a tad to small, what would be the metric size of 5/16 or slightly bigger ?? Thank you

mlpeloquin

You can get a digital caliper, which has metric and standard, at Low's or Harbor Freight. They should not cost you more then $20 and will always be useful.

wdk450

Bill,
I am definitely leaning toward that, so, I am not good with measurements, so if 5/16 is just a tad to small, what would be the metric size of 5/16 or slightly bigger ?? Thank you
From Google Search:
Dimensions — Inches to Metric
0.313”5/16”7.95 mm

Bobby A

You can get a digital caliper, which has metric and standard, at Low's or Harbor Freight. They should not cost you more then $20 and will always be useful.
Good idea Marc, I just put a metric socket over the shaft, a 9mm would not go over the shaft and a 10mm slipped right over, so still unsure what size to get. The hardware stores don't have metric, I even went to a real good hardware store that usually has everything !! They don't even have it. This is un believable !! The worst case, I thought about taking my dremmel on the 5/16th(that is tight) and grind a couple teeth off of each side to make it larger, this probably would work. Again, this is crazy, nothing is easy LOL

mlpeloquin

I checked with McMaster Carr on line and it seems that they are all standard not metric. They do have almost everything. if you check the web page, it shows that the push nuts are by shaft size. Like I said before, they are hard to start and I use a pair of needle nose pliers and a hammer to get them on.

Bobby A

I checked with McMaster Carr on line and it seems that they are all standard not metric. They do have almost everything. if you check the web page, it shows that the push nuts are by shaft size. Like I said before, they are hard to start and I use a pair of needle nose pliers and a hammer to get them on.
Thanks for checking that out for me, I will try to get some sort of a gauge to check exact diameter. I understand a new one will be hard to get on, all these old ones just pop off with a small screw driver blade. I use a 7/16 deep well socket to re install them, that works GREAT.

mlpeloquin

They should not be so easy to install. Through shock and vibrations they may work their way off. So keep a close eye on them.