Awning stopped working--trouble shooting??

aatauses

Hello,
We have a 2010bighorn. The awning is currently in, but today when I hit the rocket button I got nothing. I checked the fuse, the red light was not on ,but thought I would put in a new fuse anyway--still got nothing. Also, I thought???? when I would pull the fuse the red light would come on but it did not??? Other 12 volt things work fine. So where should I start trouble shooting? since the awning is in--not sure I can access the motor?? or should I start somewhere else?? I did just notice when I move the rocket switch I do get a faint click.
Appreciate any help.
al

ram22

Hello,
We have a 2010bighorn. The awning is currently in, but today when I hit the rocket button I got nothing. I checked the fuse, the red light was not on ,but thought I would put in a new fuse anyway--still got nothing. Also, I thought???? when I would pull the fuse the red light would come on but it did not??? Other 12 volt things work fine. So where should I start trouble shooting? since the awning is in--not sure I can access the motor?? or should I start somewhere else?? I did just notice when I move the rocket switch I do get a faint click.
Appreciate any help.
al

I have had that intermittent and so far unexplained problem with my North Trail electric slide since new! Fails in and out, occasionally. Only plausible explanation I can think of is loose wire... somewhere.... Good luck with yours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

When a fuse is blown, or removed, the LED light next to it will come on when there's a load on the circuit. Try while depressing the switch.

If it looks ok, the next thing to check is whether you have power at the switch. Carefully pull the switch away from the wall and take a pic of the wires on the backside using your phone. Then if the wires come off while working, you'll know what goes where. Check each pin with a voltmeter on DC. Make sure the ground lead from the meter is on a known good ground - not on a switch terminal.

ram22

When a fuse is blown, or removed, the LED light next to it will come on when there's a load on the circuit. Try while depressing the switch.

If it looks ok, the next thing to check is whether you have power at the switch. Carefully pull the switch away from the wall and take a pic of the wires on the backside using your phone. Then if the wires come off while working, you'll know what goes where. Check each pin with a voltmeter on DC. Make sure the ground lead from the meter is on a known good ground - not on a switch terminal.

I also swapped awning switch with slide switch. Problem reoccurred eventually with slide.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I also swapped awning switch with slide switch. Problem reoccurred eventually with slide.

That indicates a problem with the switch.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
No! Re-read my comment. The problem did not follow the switch.

OK, just trying to help. You said you swapped switches and the problem occurred with the slide. I don’t know how else to read that.

Are you having any issues with other 12 volt devices (hydraulic jacks, other slide outs)? Could be a weak mini 12 volt circuit breaker, but I’d do as suggested and use a volt meter to check wiring at switches and junctions. Are you sure you’re getting apprx 13.4 volts at your battery?

ram22

OK, just trying to help. You said you swapped switches and the problem occurred with the slide. I don’t know how else to read that.

Are you having any issues with other 12 volt devices (hydraulic jacks, other slide outs)? Could be a weak mini 12 volt circuit breaker, but I’d do as suggested and use a volt meter to check wiring at switches and junctions. Are you sure you’re getting apprx 13.4 volts at your battery?

My problem was with the slide before and after I swapped switches. I don’t know how else to write that. But I appreciate you’re just trying to help. I’ve addressed my issue with Heartland to no avail, and I don’t want to hijack this post. I’ll let him reply.

danemayer

I have had that intermittent and so far unexplained problem with my North Trail electric slide since new! Fails in and out, occasionally. Only plausible explanation I can think of is loose wire... somewhere.... Good luck with yours!

ram22,

It is a little confusing as there are 3 people posting about different awning and slide problems. If you're experiencing a start/stop symptom on your slide, look at our owner-written Hydraulic Slide Starts and Stops guide. I realize you said electric slide, but it's probably powered through a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker like the hydraulic slides and may have a similar problem/fix.

ram22

ram22,

It is a little confusing as there are 3 people posting about different awning and slide problems. If you're experiencing a start/stop symptom on your slide, look at our owner-written Hydraulic Slide Starts and Stops guide. I realize you said electric slide, but it's probably powered through a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker like the hydraulic slides and may have a similar problem/fix.

My bad. Thanks for link. I think I’ve already seen this pdf. But I’ll revisit it.

aatauses

Thanks--can always count on you guys to help me out. I will check the switch and see what I get from there. Also, someone mentioned a mini-breaker?? does the awning have one of these and if so where? If I have to get to motor can I get to it with awning in? Also, was ask about other 12 volts--they seem to be fine. The red light does comes on in the fuse box, but only when I press the switch--I then did replace the fuse.
Thanks
al, currently in AZ