Awning will Extend but not Retract without assistance

Cgsrfr

I have a 2018 Cyclone 4005. My side rear awning will extend with easy but when I go to retract it there is not enough power to get it started so I have to get a ladder to help it start while my wife pushes the button. I'm on 50amp service so power is not the issue. All the other awnings work great.

A little context when I bought the trailer new on the first trip the same awning's aluminum tube came crashing out of the housing. The factory only put one screw to hold it in place. The dealer fixed it but its never had the power to pull back in. Its a 2 hour drive to the dealer so I just left it alone.

Any advice

Thank you,

Hollandt

I have a 2018 Cyclone 4005. My side rear awning will extend with easy but when I go to retract it there is not enough power to get it started so I have to get a ladder to help it start while my wife pushes the button. I'm on 50amp service so power is not the issue. All the other awnings work great.

A little context when I bought the trailer new on the first trip the same awning's aluminum tube came crashing out of the housing. The factory only put one screw to hold it in place. The dealer fixed it but its never had the power to pull back in. Its a 2 hour drive to the dealer so I just left it alone.

Any advice

Thank you,

The awning operates on the 12 volt DC supply. You need to verify you 12 volt system voltage. It could be low due to a bad battery or a failed 120volt AC to 12 volt DC convertor or breaker. If OK then you need to check the voltage at the awning motor while operating. A low voltage there could indicate a switch or relay issue. A proper voltage at that point probably means you have a failing motor on the awning.

Bob.jr

At the other end of the tube, opposite the motor, is a coil spring inside the tube. It might need to be rewound. This spring assist the awning to rewind.
It's an easy job to do if you know what you are doing. It's very dangerous if you don't.
Try to get a mobile tech to do this for you. It's less than a one hour job.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

zolman

BEFORE you do anything with the motor adjust the angle of the awning. Use the push buttons on the upright support bracket attached to the trailer while the awning is in the retracted position. You will likely need a ladder to accomplish the adjustment.

I had the same problem. And I also thought it was a motor problem. Well the motor might have been the issue but not the eventual solution. My awning was set at the highest angle. I reset the angle to the second lowest and it easily rolled into the storage position.

With the awning set to that angle the motor had the power to retract/roll back into the storage bracket. My 3600 has 3 awnings. 2 of them had this issue. For "whatever" reason the awning motor need less torque with the awning set at a lower angle setting when it is extended.