Awning won't retract properly - 2011 Heartland Big Country

Photos below of properly retracted side and side that isn't retracting. It's a power awning, it extends fine and it retracts well except it won't pull in tight on one side. We are new to RVing, awnings etc. Hubby is very mechanically inclined if anyone has an idea about what we are doing wrong? Thanks!

IMG_20210907_111159~2.jpgIMG_20210907_111148~2.jpg

carl.swoyer

Open the awning the stand at the outer edge and look to see if the fabric has moved by eyeballingthe edge top ro bottom. You should be able to slide the fabric on the roller tube left or right. Alignment with the top edge where it attaches to the rv wall. This may require several attempts.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Did you by chance roll it up backwards once? The one photo looks as if it has the awning tube on top of the material, not sure . But if so that may contribute to the situation.
Roll it back out then when retracting roll it in with the tube rolling up underneath.

RoadJunkie

The awing is rolled up correctly, but you can observe some "telescoping" of the awning on the roll as it was rolled up. I think Carl is on the right track to fix this.

FL-JOE

Two things to try. First of all, get a stick of bees wax and rub some on the metal arms that fold over each other when the awning is retracted.

When it retracts and stops is it misaligned? If so then you need to re-align the arms. There are a couple ways to do this. Sometimes you can simply roll the awning out and set up a stepladder to reach a outer corner. Once set up push the awning over in the direction it needs to be adjusted toward. Don't push too hard, just enough to re-adjust the whole arm assembly a little. Then roll it in and out a couple times to see the result.

The other way to re-align it is to roll it in and out while watching the large end caps. Are they wobbling around? If they are then you will need to remove them (one at a time with a helper) take out the 2 or 3 self tapping screws, and run the screws into a different spot. The plastic caps can get wallered out after time and if the ends wobble around when rolling in and out the awning won't seat correctly.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I've had the same thing happen and others are correct in that the awning slid in one of its tracks.
In my case a small screw that holds the material in the track on the sidewall rusted off and allowed the material to move in the track.
I extended the awning, then with some help, took the pressure off of the awning roll and slid the awning in the sidewall track sideways into the correct position. Tested the retraction, moved it again till everything was correct, added a new holding screw, done.
Actually better than when it came from the factory.

Peace
Dave