Axle Replacement

Gary521

I lost a wheel bearing coming home from my last trip. This took out the spindle on the axle end. I need to replace the axle but not need the springs or brakes. I called Heartland parts and they told me that they can only sell me the assembly. I called Dexter and they will not sell me the axle but to go thru a local supplier. Fortunately, there is a local supplier who can do this. Does all of this sound right for those of you who have replaced an axle?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Yes but if your going to swap it out I would just do the entire thing. It's probably not much more cost and you'll have everything new. Brakes, drums, bearing, and it's a really easy swap that way.
That's what I would do.

Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Heartland gets the axle as an assembly ready to put on the new rigs so that sounds right.
Dexter, I have no clue why they wont sell the axle to you.
If you have a local that will do what you need then that is most likely the way you will have to go.
But, if you have a local big rig trailer shop in the area they may be able to weld a new spindle on your axle and give you an alignment.

Peace
Dave

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Your signature indicates you’re from the Denver area. There has to be a trailer dealership that can sell you an axle assembly. I’d do what Jerrod suggests-axle, brakes, bearings, etc. Remove the old axle u-bolts and in with replacement

On edit...disc brake conversion wasn’t mentioned in OP. Having that identified, I’d buy just the axle too and go from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Performance Trailer Braking can get you a new axle. One ordered to the exact specs as the other one. Give us a call at 405.626.7009.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Gary521

Yes but if your going to swap it out I would just do the entire thing. It's probably not much more cost and you'll have everything new. Brakes, drums, bearing, and it's a really easy swap that way.
That's what I would do.

Jerrod

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last year I added disk brakes and all new bearings (Timken). I used the same grease that I use on a road race car. High temp synthetic grease. Anyhow, the springs are OK. I need to replace one hub and a caliper bracket. I will rebuild the caliper as it got cooked. Yes, I will have everything new again. I have no idea why it failed. I have about 12,000 miles since the disk brake add on. The local trailer shop is quoting $450 for a Dexter axle and $250 for a Lippert axle.

Gary521

Performance Trailer Braking can get you a new axle. One ordered to the exact specs as the other one. Give us a call at 405.626.7009.

I called this number but there was no answer and the mailbox was full.

danemayer

Michael's been moving into a new rig for the past few days and may not have been keeping up with calls.

2psnapod2

PM me your number and I will call you. Yes it has been very busy the last few days!

carl.swoyer

I lost a wheel bearing coming home from my last trip. This took out the spindle on the axle end. I need to replace the axle but not need the springs or brakes. I called Heartland parts and they told me that they can only sell me the assembly. I called Dexter and they will not sell me the axle but to go thru a local supplier. Fortunately, there is a local supplier who can do this. Does all of this sound right for those of you who have replaced an axle?
There is a label on the axel. With that you can get axel specifics from Lippert. I was able to get mine.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Gary521

There is a label on the axel. With that you can get axel specifics from Lippert. I was able to get mine.

Yes, I saw the label. It is a Dexter axle but I will check with Lippert to see what they can do.

carl.swoyer

Yes, I saw the label. It is a Dexter axle but I will check with Lippert to see what they can do.
I was trying to attach the spec sheet from my downloads, but it won't attach. I believe that the purchase order # was what I used.

2psnapod2

Gary, I was unable to call last night. Are you able to talk now?

Gary521

Gary, I was unable to call last night. Are you able to talk now?

Yes, I am home now.

- - - Updated - - -

Go to Iron Bear Axle just off of I-25 and 58th. Ave.

I used them before I packed up and left Denver back in March!

Those guys are AWESOME!

https://ironbeartrailer.com/

Thanks, for the info. I have been to their place before when it was a different name. I forgot about them