B and W companion hitch

We just signed the papers on a Cyclone 4100! Going from a bumper hitch to a fifth wheel is exciting. I have the B and W turnover ball in both of my trucks. So I purchased the Companion hitch so I can pull it with "good truck" as well as the "farm truck"!!! The "good truck" is the one that will pull the trailer the most and the longest distance. It is a GMC crew cab short box. What settings should I set the hitch at? Do I need the hitch as far back because of my short box? Thanks in advance!!!! Can't wait for the new trailer!!!

alex00

Congratulations on your new 4100. Welcome! I'd set your B&W to the furthest back and up setting. It won't give you much, but the extra inch may help on a really tight turn. I loved the ease of my Companion hitch. It's as fool proof a hitch as you can get. I liked that you couldn't release the trailer without all the weight being off. I never had to worry about some fool pulling my handle in a parking lot and dropping my trailer as I pulled away.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I started out in the middle (vertical) position but moved it to the higher position. I found that in campsites with a slope on the road end the pinbox could drag on the bed rails (thankfully I have plastic caps on them) in a tight turn.
Besides the bed rail clearance your most important concern is keeping the rig level when towing. Airbags may be helpful to that end if the hitch won't get you there.
At least with the B&W it's only a few minutes to change the height setting.

Thanks for the replys! That was what I was thinking. All the way up and all the way back. Airbags are defiantly an option. I pull our 30' gooseneck flatbed with tractors or the backhoe all the time and haven't had the need for them yet. My plan is to pull it home and decide if I want to bag it.

Tom-Kathi

My new to me F350 came with the bottom half of the B&W and we are going to get the companion to use with our 3500RL. We had ride rite bags on our old truck as it was a SRW. I was hoping that I would not have the added expense since we went with a DRW this time. Are you guys finding the need for air bags with your dualies???

Thanks!

scottyb

Congratulations on your 4100. You are going to love it. That's got to be about the 5th or more new 4100's reported this month. Seems like this model has been a big hit. If the bed is too hard for you, a latex foam topper made ours sleep better than the expensive mattress at home. I assume the new 4100's still have a residential king size bed.

When I pulled mine with my previous Chevy 3500 LB 4WD, I also adjusted it to the high setting. The bedrails are much taller on a GM than they are on a Ford.

DW_Gray

Congratulations!

If you set the hitch all the way to the rear, you may be placing too much load behind the rear axle and as a result, you could be taking some load from the front axle. The only way to confirm a good axle load setting is to weigh your rig fully loaded for a trip. You need to compare the front axle load with the trailer hitched and unhitched. If there is no change in the front axle load or it is less when the trailer is hitched, you'll need to move the hitch center forward a bit. A printable worksheet and online calculator is available at Fifth Wheel St.

Congratulations on your 4100. You are going to love it. That's got to be about the 5th or more new 4100's reported this month. Seems like this model has been a big hit. If the bed is too hard for you, a latex foam topper made ours sleep better than the expensive mattress at home. I assume the new 4100's still have a residential king size bed.

When I pulled mine with my previous Chevy 3500 LB 4WD, I also adjusted it to the high setting. The bedrails are much taller on a GM than they are on a Ford.

The standard bed sucks! My dealer threw in a new regular mattress as part of the deal. He even said it is embarrassing the quality of the bed in that expensive of a trailer. What sold us on the 4100 was the second bathroom and the 12' garage. I race lawnmowers and didn't like the idea of tracking in the main part of the camper to use the bathroom. Being able to use the garage at the track will be nice. I got my hitch in this morning. Set it all the way back and all the way to the top. I will pull it home and go from there. I'm only 20 miles from the dealer, so it will be a nice test!

scottyb

Another motor head. I participate in racing too.

Attachments

• IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2346.jpg
    IMG_2346.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 89

ptysonjr

I too have a new 4100 king and use the companion hitch. The hitch is awesome as is the rig

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

My new to me F350 came with the bottom half of the B&W and we are going to get the companion to use with our 3500RL. We had ride rite bags on our old truck as it was a SRW. I was hoping that I would not have the added expense since we went with a DRW this time. Are you guys finding the need for air bags with your dualies??? I don't use air bags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyb

I have them on mine because the 4100 is a beast. The pin weight can easily approach 4K loaded with genny and personal stuff. Throw in a W/D and it could go even higher. I probably could get by w/o them but I truly believe they help dampen the bucking and compliment an air bag type pin box, like the 5th Airborne. Besides, I like the level ride and not getting high beams flashed at me.

ptysonjr

I have them on mine because the 4100 is a beast. The pin weight can easily approach 4K loaded with genny and personal stuff. Throw in a W/D and it could go even higher. I probably could get by w/o them but I truly believe they help dampen the bucking and compliment an air bag type pin box, like the 5th Airborne. Besides, I like the level ride and not getting high beams flashed at me.

Agree with all youve said here

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Well an update. Pulled the trailer home today!!! Hitch set all the way back and all the way up. Trailer is perfectly level. My truck is a 2500 so I may be putting air bags on it. It did squat the truck, but not enough to cause concern. But the trailer was empty. I was thinking about putting bags on my truck as I had them on my last truck and really liked them. I just haven't had a load big enough on the truck yet to justify the bags. NOW we need some warm weather so we can use it!!!

RRVeteran

We have a ElkRidge Ultimate 37 and pull with our F350 with a Companion hitch and pulls great.We love this hitch as we can still use as gooseneck to pull our horse trailer.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
As for the height of the hitch, a dealership told me a real long time ago a good rule of thumb. When setting the hitch height for good clearance of the gooseneck of the camper over the truck bed, you should have a good 7" from the bed rail of the truck to the bottom of the goose (minimum no less than 6"). That has been the way we have set up all of our hitches (3 different ones) to the 5 different campers over the years. This gives you plenty of clearance for the odd hill transitions that you might occur as you are setting up at a campgrounds, etc.