Backup cameras

Steve.Twoknee

So, my truck has a. Ack up camera built in making hitching a breeze. That being said, I've kind of wanting a backup camera for the camper. Sometimes I think I'd like it for traffic and other times I think I only need it for those occasional tricky to back into spots. So do I go with a camera I mount or one that is portable? Wifi or corded? What are folks using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Trail Runner came pre-wired for a rear observation camera so I recently installed this camera: Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket. $288 from Amazon. This is not a back-up camera but a rear observation camera which means it's on all the time. I love it. I mounted the monitor under my rear view mirror and its like having a rear view mirror. The wifi signal did drop occasionally so I replaced the antenna with this one: Alfa 9dBi WiFi Booster SMA OMNI-Directional High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna for D-Link $10.

My setup works flawlessly now. I suggest you consider a rear observation camera in lieu of a back up camera, you'll love being able to see what's going on behind you.

Steve.Twoknee

My Trail Runner came pre-wired for a rear observation camera so I recently installed this camera: Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket. $288 from Amazon. This is not a back-up camera but a rear observation camera which means it's on all the time. I love it. I mounted the monitor under my rear view mirror and its like having a rear view mirror. The wifi signal did drop occasionally so I replaced the antenna with this one: Alfa 9dBi WiFi Booster SMA OMNI-Directional High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna for D-Link $10.

My setup works flawlessly now. I suggest you consider a rear observation camera in lieu of a back up camera, you'll love being able to see what's going on behind you.

Thanks for the input, and even more importantly being able to read through my horrible text! Wow, I should either never multi-task or proofread; maybe both.

Hey don't worry about it, look at the formatting of mine!! It's all good, the message got across and that's what's important! BTW, since my rig was pre-wired all I had to do was plug in the the camera to the cable that was installed. Easiest install ever, took maybe 10 minutes and worked immediately.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Even if you're not prewired, folks have said they tap into a running light for camera power for the Furrion camera. We have the same as mentioned. Love it!

CoveredWagon

Even if you're not prewired, folks have said they tap into a running light for camera power for the Furrion camera. We have the same as mentioned. Love it!

what is the difference in the two models with the same part # that I see on Amazon ?

Dave

Identical camera but one kit includes the mounting bracket. For some reason the one with the bracket is cheaper. I bought the one with the bracket to save money but I didn't use it since my rig included the mounting bracket.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There's also one labeled "backup camera" that is not meant for using while in motion. Don't get this one! You want the "high speed" camera. See post #3. It does come with a mounting bracket.

CoveredWagon

Identical camera but one kit includes the mounting bracket. For some reason the one with the bracket is cheaper. I bought the one with the bracket to save money but I didn't use it since my rig included the mounting bracket.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

I like that 😁. Thanks, that was the only thing I could figure.

Dave

- - - Updated - - -

There's also one labeled "backup camera" that is not meant for using while in motion. Don't get this one! You want the "high speed" camera. See post #3. It does come with a mounting bracket.

Thats what l want, the rear observation camera

mbrawski

I looked at the furrion system that goes with the pre-installed kit on our new trailer and the price is insane.

I previously installed a backup camera and aftermarket stereo in my truck so this option works for me.
My solution is going to be to mount another backup camera, probably under the bumper for now, and run the wires up to the trailer plug wires. The backup camera on my truck is just two connections near the license plate, the video and the power, so as part of my hook up process I'll just unplug the truck cam and plug in the trailer cam. I bought a back up cam with led lighting for $35 and spent another $12 on an extension cable to reach the truck. It won't be as nice as the high mounted furroin but until I figure out how to route the wires up to the top, this is my plan.

I have noticed the bottom is just corrugated plastic sheet that is screwed on, and easily accessed. I'm going to look and see if I can just drop the wires down to the bottom from the "observation" camera mount and then run them forward.

I looked at the furrion system that goes with the pre-installed kit on our new trailer and the price is insane.

I previously installed a backup camera and aftermarket stereo in my truck so this option works for me.
My solution is going to be to mount another backup camera, probably under the bumper for now, and run the wires up to the trailer plug wires. The backup camera on my truck is just two connections near the license plate, the video and the power, so as part of my hook up process I'll just unplug the truck cam and plug in the trailer cam. I bought a back up cam with led lighting for $35 and spent another $12 on an extension cable to reach the truck. It won't be as nice as the high mounted furroin but until I figure out how to route the wires up to the top, this is my plan.

I have noticed the bottom is just corrugated plastic sheet that is screwed on, and easily accessed. I'm going to look and see if I can just drop the wires down to the bottom from the "observation" camera mount and then run them forward.

How does the signal get from the back of you TT to the monitor in your tow vehicle? The Furion is wireless wifi

mbrawski

Just recently finished a 2000 mile break in trip. The back up camera I rigged worked great. I bought a regular car camera and an extension cable. I mounted it to the bumper with heavy duty Velcro, and in a minute I can move the camera to the preinstalled furion mount where I have a piece of Velcro also, and ran the cable up the side underneath. I have an aftermarket back up camera/stereo so the connections for power and video are right by the trailer plug. I just swap cameras when I plug in the trailer. It worked great and was a life saver when judging if I was clear to change lanes in front of another vehicle.

I realise my option is is pretty much limited to vehicles with aftermarket stereos but it cost me about $40 and works as needed. Pics to come soon.