baggage doors. what material is inside the new heartland baggage doors?

marknewbill

i have had some issues with water getting inside the door. literally inside the door itelf. when i lift the door it comes out around the aluminum frame. i wonder if the door has wood or something inside the panel to be concerned about. my big door over the outside kitchen leaks rusty water out so i sealed around the panel but that looks bad and the smaller ones arent rusty but clear water coming out. anyway any advice? thanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The interior is a rigid foam-like material. Water can be aspirated into it via weep holes in the bottom or along the edges if the seal is weak. If the frame holds water from rain or snow melt running down the walls, it will wick into the core. Temperature fluctuations will cause it to swell and split due to freeze/thaw.

I had to replace all the side compartment doors on the 3670 we had because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marknewbill

The interior is a rigid foam-like material. Water can be aspirated into it via weep holes in the bottom or along the edges if the seal is weak. If the frame holds water from rain or snow melt running down the walls, it will wick into the core. Temperature fluctuations will cause it to swell and split due to freeze/thaw.

I had to replace all the side compartment doors on the 3670 we had because of it.

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at sealing them better around the edges of the panel to the aluminum extrusion to keep the water out of the inside of the panels. also I may make a drain hole at the very bottom of the aluminum of the frame to let any moisture out.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After replacing the doors, I mounted gutter (same as on the roof edge) above the large doors on both sides to reduce the run down on the door openings, directing it off and away to either side.

I was lucky to buy used doors from Jon Holbert, another owner who had upgraded his similar doors and kept the old ones. They were not to be found, otherwise.