Banging sound when I flush the toilet

WBG

WBGavin
We have a 2014 BigHorn 5th wheel. Our toilet has started banging, sort of sounds like the water pump but it is off since we are on city water, whenever we flush the toilet. If you only press the lever part way down there is no banging noise.

Any ides what is causing it? Any reason to be concerned?

Thanks for your help.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Banging sound when I flish the toilet

Check the tank vent on the roof. If it’s blocked, it may have a hard time venting air when you flush making that sound. Mine makes noise when the tank is due for dumping (just before the burping).

And, sometimes, the vent pipe can come loose and be too far into the tank to work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sniper

We've had that happen when the campground water pressure was maxing out our pressure regulator.

WBG

WBGavin
Re: Banging sound when I flish the toilet

Check the tank vent on the roof. If it’s blocked, it may have a hard time venting air when you flush making that sound. Mine makes noise when the tank is due for dumping (just before the burping).

And, sometimes, the vent pipe can come loose and be too far into the tank to work properly.

Thanks for the ideas. Will climb upon the roof t0day and take a look.
Is there any easy to determine if the vent pipe is extending too far into the tank?

WBG

JohnDar

If you remove the cap and the top of the pipe is below the roof line, it may have slipped.

To be clear, does it always make noise when you flush, even after dumping the tank, or only after you’ve been filling it for a few days? Is it a chugging sound or more like a banging. If it’s chugging, then suspect the vent (possibly a full tank). And do you get a “burp” (water bubble) when flushing? A banging sounds more like the water supply.

WBG

WBGavin
If you remove the cap and the top of the pipe is below the roof line, it may have slipped.

To be clear, does it always make noise when you flush, even after dumping the tank, or only after you’ve been filling it for a few days? Is it a chugging sound or more like a banging. If it’s chugging, then suspect the vent (possibly a full tank). And do you get a “burp” (water bubble) when flushing? A banging sounds more like the water supply.

It does NOT make the sound when I only partially (less than 3/4) depress the lever. It makes the sound when I quickly depress the lever the whole way. It makes the noise whether or not the tank is completely empty or partially full (after a couple days of use).

It is more of a banging sound versus a chugging or burp sound. My wife thinks that we may have air trapped in the lines some place. We never get this sound from any of the faucets or the shower.

Will check to see if the pipe has slipped tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

WBG

SLO

Sounds like water hammer. My guess would be back flow preventer/check valve on toilet is not functioning properly. Can’t tell you how to service that. I’ve never had to do it. Don’t see how it could be the vent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Not water hammer since it occurs when he opens a valve. We had to be careful when running lines from a fire engine not to slam the bail on the nozzle closed, or we could cause problems with a water hammer in the pump.

Water hammer (or, more generally, fluid hammer, also called hydraulic shock) is a pressure surge or wave caused when a fluid, usually a liquid but sometimes also a gas, in motion is forced to stop or change direction suddenly, a momentum change. A water hammer commonly occurs when a valve closes suddenly at an end of a pipeline system, and a pressure wave propagates in the pipe

WBG

WBGavin
Miracles of Miracles - Problem solved

Before I hooked up the city water at our new campsite (water pump off) I flushed the toilet until no more water flowed. Then I had my wife hold down the flush lever as I slowly turned the water on. Voila - no more banging/hammering. I think air was trapped in the lines.

Now we can flush our worries away in blissful silence. Life does not get any better than this.

Thanks for all you thoughts and advice. They helped me think it thru.

WBG

mlpeloquin

I always turn on the outside shower, both hot and cold water, before turning on the campsite water to allow the air in the hose and filters to flow out. All most all of it does and we do not have the spurting from the faucets do to the air in the lines.

JohnDar

Since I winterize and dewinterize, I pump sanitizing water into the plumbing via the water pump prior to actually hooking to city water, so the plumbing is cleared of air by then. Never experienced banging plumbing, though.

Always something, good is was an easy fix.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lou_and_Bette

I always turn on the outside shower, both hot and cold water, before turning on the campsite water to allow the air in the hose and filters to flow out. All most all of it does and we do not have the spurting from the faucets do to the air in the lines.

Good idea Marc, I usually run my water line to the park water supply and, before I connect to the rig, I run water through the connecting hose and my dual filter set up to clear all the air out of those. Don’t have the sputtering from the faucets that way. I also have DW turn on all our hot water taps before turning on hot water heater to ensure there is plenty of water in the tank before there is power to the heating element.