Batteries not charging, circuit breaker in front bad.

2016 Bighorn 3270RS.
batteries not charging from landline or truck.
Did some research and found that the circuit breaker was open.

In the front above the batteries is a bank of circuit breakers.
the second one down had 13.5 volts on one side 10.5 on the other.
disconnected the batteries and dropped to zero. Pushed the tripped button but still no voltage.
jumped a 20 amp fuse across the breaker and now we have voltage getting to the batteries.
anyone know the amperage of this breaker?
20 or 30?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It's most likely a 50 amp breaker.
If you pull it out there should be something stamped on it or moulded into it.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Here's an example of a row of breakers. Look at the thickness of the wires to each breaker. The thick ones go to 50 amp breakers.

Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg

2016 Bighorn 3270RS.

disconnected the batteries and dropped to zero. Pushed the tripped button but still no voltage.
jumped a 20 amp fuse across the breaker and now we have voltage getting to the batteries.
20 or 30?[/QUOTE

if I understand correctly, the grey breaker in the front above the batteries is a 50 amp?
is there a way to send a picture of what I am looking at? Just want to be sure.

danemayer

Peggy,

After you make a few more posts, the forum software will allow you to post pictures. For now the only way would be to upload them to Google Drive or another online storage area and link to that file.

wdk450

There is a possible problem with the way converter/charger to circuit breakers to batteries are set up by the factory. The most commonly used converter/charger used in the big 5th wheels is the Progressive Dynamics Model 9260. This has a rated maximum output of 60 amps. The nearest standard sized 12 volt DC circuit breaker between the converter/charger is rated at 50 amps. The standard circuit breaker installed for this application is a 12 volt DC 50 amp NON-SELF-RESETTING type circuit breaker that has a small protruding plastic tab that must be pushed in to the circuit breaker body to reset it. For fire safety reasons this main charging/battery current delivery circuit breaker needs to be a manual reset type. All other 12 volt DC circuit breakers used are the self-resetting type.

The problem scenario is that under highly discharged battery status, or under heavy electrical loads (landing gear, hydraulic levelling system, or slideout systems) the electrical demand from the converter/charger through the circuit breaker to the battery/12 volt DC loads CAN THEORETICALLY EXCEED THE 50 AMP BREAKER RATING, up to 60 AMPS.

It is a known failure mode of circuit breakers (both DC and AC types) that have been tripped repeatedly, to then trip at lower than rated current levels.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
2016 Bighorn 3270RS.

20 or 30?[/QUOTE

if I understand correctly, the grey breaker in the front above the batteries is a 50 amp?
is there a way to send a picture of what I am looking at? Just want to be sure.

763017bf787a5d9c9be7558a628a41fd.jpg

Auto reset 12v 50A. Available on Amazon
Always carry a spare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centerline

Thanks, it is open.

found one locally.

also found a bunch of loose connect.

adding check these to our pre trip check list.

loose connections seem to be an issue on these trailers, as I had a lot of loose connections everywhere on mine... if its electrical and held by a screw, chances are its looser than it should be, and is a good place for potential problems to arise.

Chicat

I have found on our 2015 Bighorn that when we hook up to shore power and forget to check the breaker on the pedestal, if it is on, that little circuit breaker will pop. I am in the habit if checking that every time I open the front storage