Batteries not charging while connected to 50 amp shore power

Dseales87

I am a first timer with my family in our 2021 Heartland Bighorn Traveler 37DB.

I have run into the battery(s) dying and I am connected to 50 amp sure power in Alabama. I am currently in Florida and have a friend checking in on our 5th wheel and he just said the battery he replaced yesterday was already dead and our AC, Fridge and all electronic panels.

Please help. I am leaning towards my converter being out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

I am a first timer with my family in our 2021 Heartland Bighorn Traveler 37DB.

I have run into the battery(s) dying and I am connected to 50 amp sure power in Alabama. I am currently in Florida and have a friend checking in on our 5th wheel and he just said the battery he replaced yesterday was already dead and our AC, Fridge and all electronic panels.

Please help. I am leaning towards my converter being out?

Have your friend check the house main circuit breaker...it should be a 50A CB and it may/should have a small reset tab on it that needs reset.

Dseales87

Have your friend check the house main circuit breaker...it should be a 50A CB and it may/should have a small reset tab on it that needs reset.

I will see if it can get by there in the morning. We will be headed back around lunch and should be back by tomorrow after.

Would you suggest getting a new converter on the way back just in case I need one and if not return it?

Thank you for the response.

LBR

I will see if it can get by there in the morning. We will be headed back around lunch and should be back by tomorrow after.

Would you suggest getting a new converter on the way back just in case I need one and if not return it?

Thank you for the response.

You certainly could if able to return it if unused.

david-steph2018

If by chance the batteries were hooked up backwards for just a second, you could had blown the fuse inside the converter.
Also check the 50-amp circuit breaker in the battery compartment as LBR suggested. Now these breakers are not like the breakers in your house, these are the small breakers that are covered in a red boot. Some are auto reset some are manual. You will need to feel each breaker to see if you can feel the reset button popped out.

Dseales87

If by chance the batteries were hooked up backwards for just a second, you could had blown the fuse inside the converter.
Also check the 50-amp circuit breaker in the battery compartment as LBR suggested. Now these breakers are not like the breakers in your house, these are the small breakers that are covered in a red boot. Some are auto reset some are manual. You will need to feel each breaker to see if you can feel the reset button popped out.

Thank you. I will double back and check all of the fuses when I get back in town.

Dseales87

Did you check the battery disconnect

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

So I have two disconnect knobs that I believe one goes to the hydraulic pump for levelers and slide outs and the second runs to the unit.

Dseales87

Thank you all for the advice. I was able to locate the converter and upon inspection. The two 40 fuses were blown and once they were replaced my converter kicked on and I have full power across my RV.

david-steph2018

Thank you all for the advice. I was able to locate the converter and upon inspection. The two 40 fuses were blown and once they were replaced my converter kicked on and I have full power across my RV.

Were these the fuses inside the converter itself? If so, I would buy a couple extras to carry with you.
What brand and model is the inverter, and where is it located? By providing this information you can possible help somebody else down the road with the same issues.

Dseales87

Were these the fuses inside the converter itself? If so, I would buy a couple extras to carry with you.
What brand and model is the inverter, and where is it located? By providing this information you can possible help somebody else down the road with the same issues.

Yes. They were the fuses from the converter (located underneath the stairs leading to the main bedroom, easily accessed by unscrewing the wall in the storage are underneath)

I did not get the model and brand seeing that I was just trying to get everything up and running for my family late last night. But I will come back and post brand and model number of converter when I have a second to get back to it.

As far as the inverter: it is located with the hydraulic pump, battery, and disconnect switches on my Bighorn Traveler 37DB under the neck of the in vertical door to the left. (Will get brand and model number when able and will post with converter)

Dseales87

Yes. They were the fuses from the converter (located underneath the stairs leading to the main bedroom, easily accessed by unscrewing the wall in the storage are underneath)

I did not get the model and brand seeing that I was just trying to get everything up and running for my family late last night. But I will come back and post brand and model number of converter when I have a second to get back to it.

As far as the inverter: it is located with the hydraulic pump, battery, and disconnect switches on my Bighorn Traveler 37DB under the neck of the in vertical door to the left. (Will get brand and model number when able and will post with converter)

Just to correct myself:

THE FUSES WERE OUTSIDE OF THE CONVERTER ITSELF (not located in the unit) I WILL ADD PHOTOS.

wdk450

I added a 12 volt mini voltmeter to my tank test panel, with a multimeter found the wires that got a 12 volt reading when the "Test button" is pressed, and wired the meter into that. Now when I press the "Test" button with the charger OFF (AC breaker off or disconnected from shore power) I see the battery voltage; with shorepower connected and the charger breaker ON I see the converter/charger charging voltage at that time; with the truck umbilical connected (shorepower disconnected), and the truck motor running I see charging voltage at that time from the truck.
You can also look for voltage changes to see if charging sources are working. Just battery reading, turn on converter, voltage should go up. Just battery reading (shorepower disconnected), connect to truck and turn on truck motor, reading should go up.
Here is an E-Bay search list on these:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...570.l1313&_nkw=mini+12+vdc+voltmeter&_sacat=0

These are so cheap at lots of 10 that you could wire one in right at your battery too, (with a switch if you prefer); maybe at your umbilical cable electrical box; or give them out to your RVing friends.

Last edited: