Batteries won’t stay charged on my 2016 Big Horn 5th wheel mod 3760EL

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The first question is, how old are the batteries? If original they are in the 7 year old range and should probably be replaced. If one is bad that will drag down the other.
Are all anodes free of corrosion?

Peace
Dave

Larrytgg

The first question is, how old are the batteries? If original they are in the 7 year old range and should probably be replaced. If one is bad that will drag down the other.
Are all anodes free of corrosion?

Peace
Dave
First thing I did was replace both batteries…

Larrytgg

First thing I did was replace the batteries….. thinking it’s a problem with the convertor… if I can ever find it to test

wdk450

First thing I did was replace the batteries….. thinking it’s a problem with the convertor… if I can ever find it to test
You can pretty much test it with a voltmeter across the battery terminals. Read and note the DC voltage with the RV unplugged from shorepower. Then plug in power and note the reading again. Ideally if your battery is down, and you have the original Progressive 9260 convertor/charger, your charger should be in its 1st (boost mode) charging state, and the charging voltage across the battery should be 14.4 volts. See: https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/ An increase in voltage from the 1st reading to the 2nd reading shows that the charger is doing SOMETHING.

Many people have had the converter/charger come unplugged from the AC power socket in the basement. Others have had the external output fuses blow on the converter/charger, usually due to batteries being connected in reverse polarity (even momentarily). Both of these conditions will require you to unscrew the dividing wall(s) in the big storage compartment, and crawl in to access the converter/charger. On my older Bighorn 3670RL, the convertor charger is on the floor, near the rearward compartment wall, on the door side.

Good luck!!!

Larrytgg

Thank You for that info…..yeah I have tested voltage at the battery and it reads battery voltage which slowly declines over time….. I knew I needed to get behind the wall..😡 but was in hopes there was a supply fuse in a more convenient location…I will open it up and follow up on what I find… Thanks again!

wdk450

There is one major non-automatic resetting circuit breaker in the battery charging current path. When this circuit breaker is open, with shorepower disconnected, the major symptom is NO 12 volt DC battery powered lights or voltage in the trailer. From what you have described, I don't think that this is your situation, but i thought I would put out that easy, to check/correct possibility out there.

See: Page 4 of this 12 volt users guide: https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User Guides/12V Block Diagram & Diagnostics V2.pdf

Larrytgg

There is one major non-automatic resetting circuit breaker in the battery charging current path. When this circuit breaker is open, with shorepower disconnected, the major symptom is NO 12 volt DC battery powered lights or voltage in the trailer. From what you have described, I don't think that this is your situation, but i thought I would put out that easy, to check/correct possibility out there.

See: Page 4 of this 12 volt users guide: https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/User Guides/12V Block Diagram & Diagnostics V2.pdf
Appreciate the info…. All my 12v systems work I just can’t keep my batteries charged… been using. Trickle charger til I can dig into it deeper… this is a great getting all this input… I will remember that if I can ever help out!

wdk450

If it were my trailer, I would next try to measure how much current is going into my battery system when the charger is doing its job with a DC ammeter. You might be able to borrow one from auto parts stores, and at least 60 amps max rating should work (I have heard of some converter chargers at 80 amps max charge). Maybe you have a bad wiring connection somewhere limiting the charge current. If your charger is trying to charge a depleted battery system, its max charge value should cause enough heating in any possible bad electrical connections that you can feel the heat to touch. !2 volts DC won't shock dry skin. Of course you can try to measure any voltage drop across connectors with a DC voltmeter, too.

Good Luck on this!!!

Larrytgg

If it were my trailer, I would next try to measure how much current is going into my battery system when the charger is doing its job with a DC ammeter. You might be able to borrow one from auto parts stores, and at least 60 amps max rating should work (I have heard of some converter chargers at 80 amps max charge). Maybe you have a bad wiring connection somewhere limiting the charge current. If your charger is trying to charge a depleted battery system, its max charge value should cause enough heating in any possible bad electrical connections that you can feel the heat to touch. !2 volts DC won't shock dry skin. Of course you can try to measure any voltage drop across connectors with a DC voltmeter, too.

Good Luck on this!!!
Thanks for input…. I will certainly check it out… appreciate your advise

Larrytgg

Well well to all those who helped me with this dilemma I am truly greatful and would definitely respond in kind if I can ever help in anyway to solve infamous RV problems…. I found my convertor on the flat deck behind the driver’s side wall in the basement and was able to test it and back probe to the culprit causing my “no battery charge problem” it was a re setable in line breaker in the row of about 6 other breakers and the only one with a small reset button on the side… it was installed so the button was impossible to reset so I removed it and relocated it for future problems…. All is back to normal and I also spent hours cleaning and securing the unbelievable mess back there from when the unit was built…. So much for Heartland’s pride in workmanship….Thanks again to all who responded…good group to belong to…Larrytgg!!!!