Batteries

Oregon_Camper

I started with 6x100 amp hour lithium batteries from Battle Born and just removed those and upgraded to 3x270 amp hour lithium batteries from Battle Born.

Odds are high that you will have to replace your converter, as typically the standard converter doesn't have a lithium profile.

Here is the link to the 3x210ah batteries if interested.

This is the video link for the 6x100ah batteries. This video explains a lot of information on why moving to lithium was good for our camping lifestyle. If you simply go from RV park to RV park, save your money and get some nice AGM's. If you want to Boondock, then lithium is an amazing way to really stay out in the wild. :)

Last edited:

Bogie

Lithium batteries are fully charged at 14.6 volts. The standard converter in the RV's are for 12 volt flooded batteries so their top voltage is lower (about 13 volts). While they will charge Lithium batteries, they would never achieve a full charge, so you won't get the maximum number of Amp Hours from them. You will need to change the converter to one the has a higher output for lithium ion. Progressive Dynamics makes them as well as other manufacturers.

CoveredWagon

I started with 6x100 amp hour lithium batteries from Battle Born and just removed those and upgraded to 3x210 amp hour lithium batteries from Battle Born.

Odds are high that you will have to replace your converter, as typically the standard converter doesn't have a lithium profile.

This is the video link for the 6x100ah batteries. This video explains a lot of information on why moving to lithium was good for our camping lifestyle. If you simply go from RV park to RV park, save your money and get some nice AGM's. If you want to Boondock, then lithium is an amazing way to really stay out in the wild. :)
Do we need a different converter if we switch to AGM batteries? I suspect not.

SLO

I started with 6x100 amp hour lithium batteries from Battle Born and just removed those and upgraded to 3x210 amp hour lithium batteries from Battle Born.

I always appreciate your detailed posts and videos of you projects. Very, very educational. Side note, your reference above to the 270ah batteries says 210ah batteries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oregon_Camper

I always appreciate your detailed posts and videos of you projects. Very, very educational. Side note, your reference above to the 270ah batteries says 210ah batteries.

Thanks...I updated the original post. :)

SLO

I started with 6x100 amp hour lithium batteries from Battle Born and just removed those and upgraded to 3x270 amp hour lithium batteries from Battle Born.

I have a question about your production. With your roughly 600 watts of panels, I would guess that would be about 36 amps total, I know that’s variable. How many ah on average are you putting back into the lithium batteries each day, assuming a sunny day. I have 600 watts of panels but lead acid batteries. So I wouldn’t get nearly as much.

Oregon_Camper

I have a question about your production. With your roughly 600 watts of panels, I would guess that would be about 36 amps total, I know that’s variable. How many ah on average are you putting back into the lithium batteries each day, assuming a sunny day. I have 600 watts of panels but lead acid batteries. So I wouldn’t get nearly as much.

Yea...it varies between 30-40 (more toward 30ish) when we are in a sunny spot. Problem is, we are hardly ever in a sunny spot, so we opted to bring more amp hours in the 3x batteries vs trying (hoping) to add back to battery bank with solar. I also have a 200w portable system I built myself that brings in 9-10 amps.

Daley07

I've used sealed lead-acid batteries in the past (and UPG batteries before that), but I heard from a friend that while sealed batteries are a good choice, I should consider a longer-lasting battery to avoid the need to worry about finding a replacement every few years. So I decided to go with a lithium battery for my RV. I trusted and opted for the deep cycle battery from Battle Born. It weighs just 29 pounds, a lot lighter than the 63-pound UPG batteries I've had, and the extra weight of the UPG batteries is just a load. That's why, despite the fact that these AGM batteries are perfectly adequate for my system, I adore them.

Last edited: