Battery Access

Piperflyer

Has anyone done any kind of mod on the battery box to make it easier to check the batteries water level? My BH will more than likely take me a good half hour or more to get to the batteries in the box, with the way the battery box was made and put together......

sengli

Seems as if I have seen a battery water level system some place sold for this application. It basically sensed the level in the batteries and topped them off automatically. I think it was really made for class A RV's, as they have alot more batteries on board than we do. We are not full timers so I typically check my batteries level twice a year, and it hasnt been an issue really so far.

Oregon_Camper

Can you post a picture of your battery box? On my BH, I can access the battery the second I open the front hatch.

If the problem is unscrewing all those screws...that was a huge PITA.

I fixed all that when I moved to 2 Trojan T-1275 batteries. I replaced the factory battery box with a box from Lowes. I removed the vents flanges from the original battery boxes (large circle bit) and then attached to the box from Lowes. I now have 2 of these in the battery area, both venting from top and bottom. I can open the top by simply unsnapping the covers.

025947712113lg.jpg

ksucats

I was looking at mine the day before yesterday to see how I was going to check them - it is going to be a royal PITA was I have two terminals on the top of mine with what looks like 10 or so screws holding the top on. I have no idea what is below the top -- I know that the coach was supposed to come with two batteries; dealer had the cover off when we did the delivery check and I saw two batteries but I did not pay any attention to the wiring from them to the cover. Regardless I like your idea of the box from Lowes with a snap type cover. :) definitely the way to go.

pegmikef

Mine are also in separate vented boxes in the generator compartment. I made the command decision that two screws in each box was sufficient to keep the covers tightly in place. I check them periodically and use a small funnel and a small pitcher to add water as needed.

JanAndBill

Mine are also in separate vented boxes in the generator compartment. I made the command decision that two screws in each box was sufficient to keep the covers tightly in place. I check them periodically and use a small funnel and a small pitcher to add water as needed.

I use 4 screws. I use distilled water in the batteries. A cheap turkey baster from the cut throat store makes the job a lot easier.

pegmikef

I use 4 screws. I use distilled water in the batteries. A cheap turkey baster from the cut throat store makes the job a lot easier.

Yeah, I also use distilled water, but I like the funnel better than the baster as I can add the water faster without having to continually reload the baster bulb.

MTPockets

Get rid of the screws.. I use small spring clips you can pick up at Lowes or ACE, etc... Just get the small ones with a strong grip, about .69 cents each.. I need a small flashlight to see the water, then add necessary water and clip the cover back on.

donr827

I used a Flow Rite battery watering system. Easy install and a real back saver. Can get them from CW or Amazon.
Don

pegmikef

Get rid of the screws.. I use small spring clips you can pick up at Lowes or ACE, etc... Just get the small ones with a strong grip, about .69 cents each.. I need a small flashlight to see the water, then add necessary water and clip the cover back on.

Perfect! Thanks for the tip.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I changed out mine to a storage box and added 2 more Batteries. you can check it out on my thread Project LM365 post #59
https://heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/54076-Project-LM-365?p=441141&viewfull=1#post441141
You can also use the quick fill water fill system from Camping World to make your life a lot easier.
(http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/qwik-fill-dual-12-volt-battery-watering-system/27037)
I,m using maintenance free batteries for now, we'll see how long they last. When I replace them I will be going to 4 - 6 volt's

carl.swoyer

Yeah, I also use distilled water, but I like the funnel better than the baster as I can add the water faster without having to continually reload the baster bulb.
I went to harbor freight in Florida and bought a siphon primer bulb like on a boat fuel tank. It ha a clear line on each side. Put one end in a gallon of distilled water and siphon to each cell. Easy to store and no overfill

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

fzybear

We have a 2015 LM 365 Key West that we bought in August '15. On Spring Break this week, I just checked the batteries for the first time. It was quite a bit longer than our 2002 5th whl to gain access to both sets of cells, but fortunately, they were all full. I enjoyed searching the forum for tips on the easiest method. I'm pretty sure I'll go with the storage bin method described below for future access. Great idea.

I just installed this nifty product by Flow Rite. Because our batteries are hermetically sealed in the factory enclosure box, I thought there MUST be a better way to top off my batteries without going through all the hassle of dissembling everything, filling, then re-assembling it all. Enter the solution....The Pro-Fill and Quik-Fill products from FlowRite. I just drilled a small hole in the top of the box, ran the hose through it and now, whenever I want to fill the batteries, I just drop the end of the hose into a gallon jug of distilled water and pump the squeeze bulb until I get resistance. Tadaa! Now I just put the chore on my monthly to-do list and it takes about 30-seconds to perform. I like easy!

battery 1.jpg battery 2.jpg