Battery box vents

BobX2

Just wondering how much ventilation a person needs for the batteries. The battery and box that came with my Sundance have the hose connection to the vent panel installed on the front storage area. The new battery and box that I installed last weekend does not have a vent hose connected to it. The front storage area is far from being air tight, with about a 2" hole to access the manual landing gear connection, as well as several other gaps in both end panels. How much do you really need?

pegmikef

I don't know, but I do know that since the batteries are charging most of the time you are hooked up to shore power or your TV, that explosive gas is being generated. I just don't know how much vented space it would take for the gas to dissipate. I figure there is a reason they vent the battery to the outside. I have seen where some have added a hose to the battery box and teed it to the existing hose.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In addition, the gasses given off during charging are corrosive and could cause problems with any hardware in that compartment.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I added a second battery like you did to our Sundance. I installed a 'tee' and ran a second hose to the top of the battery second lid.
The 1/1/4" or 1 1/2" hose and pvc drain trap tee can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes.
Make sure you vent the bottom of the new battery box similar to the OEM.

Attachments

• IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1020.JPG
    IMG_1020.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

donr827

Bob, what would worry me a little is that I see in your picture I see a switch for the front landing gears. If you had a little of the gassing from the battery and the switch had a problem could you have a explosion?Don

szewczyk_john

I added a second battery myself and also used the T-method as shown in the pictures. I used parts swimming pool fittings and hoses not PVC. They cost the same but then the pieces fit together much better. Any pool shop would have the pieces needed.

Bohemian

Another solution is to simply use AGM batteries.No vents required. Can be placed in storage area.

Cjackg

Do AGMs come in deep cycle ? Is there a recommended AGM at reasonable cost?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bohemian

Yes, AGMs come in deep cycle. Yes, they are more expensive. Value is a personal decision. To me, safety, lack of hassle and maintenance concerns is of high value.

brianharrison

Bob, the battery box that you have added is not sealed - it vents out under the flared out sides of the top piece. I doubt adding a vent hose will direct the off gassing away and outside. The OEM box on the right is a sealed box.

Take care,
Brian