battery charger

HRB

We just purchased a North Trail 21RBSS and I'd like to get the specs on the battery charger. It's a generic box with UPC labels. Not much help. I sent an email to Heartland and received a message stating that I would void the warranty. I guess my question isn't acceptable. I tried again and have yet to get a response. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

david-steph2018

By battery charger, I assume you are talking about the "converter". The converter is the device that keeps the batteries charged. Call Heartland with the last 6 numbers of your VIN and see if they can tell you which converter was installed.

HRB

Yes David, the battery converter/charger. It converts 110v into 12+ v DC. I used (877) 262-8032 but was put on hold for some time. That's when I sent the email and the email response said I would void the warranty if I changed the unit. I asked for a manual or specs but rec'd no response. If there's a trick to get someone to answer or respond to emails with something constructive I'd love to know what it is. Or, is there another CS phone number? Thanks again for your response. Really appreciate it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The customer service rep may not be as well informed as we would hope. Changing your converter will not void your warranty on the entire trailer. It may however have some effect on the 12 volt electrical system if it's proven that what you did caused the problem.
Another number.....574-262-8030.
You might get the same rep.

Peace
Dave

HRB

Thanks for the feedback.
We have a bigger issue
The Everchill 12 volt fridge is not working.
Sad that a brand new trailer has this issue.
As a former moderator on another popular rv platform it's unfortunate that I've called and emailed heartland and crickets.
Very disappointed in this brand.
Glad we're experimenting with a lower end unit

carl.swoyer

Yes David, the battery converter/charger. It converts 110v into 12+ v DC. I used (877) 262-8032 but was put on hold for some time. That's when I sent the email and the email response said I would void the warranty if I changed the unit. I asked for a manual or specs but rec'd no response. If there's a trick to get someone to answer or respond to emails with something constructive I'd love to know what it is. Or, is there another CS phone number? Thanks again for your response. Really appreciate it.
There's one person in warranty who is lazy and refuses to help.
Wish i could remember his name. I have a short between my water pump switch in the service bay. When I turn it on it shuts off the lp water heater. I asked for engineering to help me but lazy boy wouldn't forward my issue.
Engineering department has previously helped me with another short. They were spot on.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

HRB

There's one person in warranty who is lazy and refuses to help.
Wish i could remember his name. I have a short between my water pump switch in the service bay. When I turn it on it shuts off the lp water heater. I asked for engineering to help me but lazy boy wouldn't forward my issue.
Engineering department has previously helped me with another short. They were spot on.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
Thank you.
Good luck with your issue.

HRB

I don't have your trailer, but looking at walk through videos on Youtube it looks like you have a WFCO Power center Converter/Charger. In the video's it looks like it's under the refrigerator. If all that is correct, this is what I think you have.

https://www.amazon.com/WFCO-WF8955PECB-Center-Converter-Charger/dp/B004BC59S6?th=1
Thank you. That's where it loctaed. Accoirding to the specs it automatically adjusts power levels and charging for Lithium Ion and Lead acid batteries. I'm adding a Lithium battery so it'll work without replacing it with a different model.

Bogie

Thank you. That's where it loctaed. Accoirding to the specs it automatically adjusts power levels and charging for Lithium Ion and Lead acid batteries. I'm adding a Lithium battery so it'll work without replacing it with a different model.
That's great. WFCO makes several versions of this power center. Not all are suitable for Lithium batteries. Double check the model you have before going to Lithium batteries.

Reactions: HRB

HRB

After speaking with Daniel at Heartland, he was able to confirm the converter/charger was the following -
Converter - 55amp - Power Center - 30 Amp - Black - w/GE Stab Bar - Auto Detect- WF-8955-AD-GE
This power center/converter automatically adjusts for battery type when charging; Lead acid, AGM or Lithium. From WFCO's website "This new microprocessor-driven technology will recognize lithium ion and lead acid battery chemistries and automatically adjust the charging profile to match the battery type." This goes for any of the WFCO 8900 converter/charger models. 100amp LI battery going in as soon as the RV gets back from having the fridge and water heater repaired/replaced. Thanks for your feedback

Hollandt

After speaking with Daniel at Heartland, he was able to confirm the converter/charger was the following -
Converter - 55amp - Power Center - 30 Amp - Black - w/GE Stab Bar - Auto Detect- WF-8955-AD-GE
This power center/converter automatically adjusts for battery type when charging; Lead acid, AGM or Lithium. From WFCO's website "This new microprocessor-driven technology will recognize lithium ion and lead acid battery chemistries and automatically adjust the charging profile to match the battery type." This goes for any of the WFCO 8900 converter/charger models. 100amp LI battery going in as soon as the RV gets back from having the fridge and water heater repaired/replaced. Thanks for your feedback
This auto battery detection, maybe true after a certain date of manufacture, but the WF-8955 in my 2018 model is only suitable for LA and AGM per the manual. Be careful to confirm the model number on the unit that is installed!

HRB

I did. I spent the past month speaking with the factory and confirmed the WFCO model in our RV and was able to properly identified. Then spoke with WFCO regarding the claims on their website were accurate. It's important that anyone who belongs to a forum like this do their homework before making a decision to change something as important as a charger/converter or assuming what they have is capable of handling changing the battery out. I was a moderator on another forum for 2+ years and understand the gravity of providing accurate information for users. Be assured, I wouldn't post anything that I wasn't able to confirm for my personal use. This information should be validated by other RV owners if they are considering making changes to their RV(s). Do your homework first. It'll save headaches. Thanks for your reply.

cipwood

The wfco wf-8955 that came in my 2021 25lrss model was not LI friendly. I replaced it with the wf-8955 LIS model unit which has a small switch to change from LA to LI batteries. Keeps my 300 amp LI battery very happy.

HRB

Thanks Chip.
Here's the verbiage from WFCO's website for the model I have:

WF-8955-AD​

For years, our WF-8900 Series has been the RV industry’s preferred power center, outselling all other power centers combined. Building on this success, the WF-8900-AD Series now includes an industry-first, Patent Pending Auto-Detect technology. This new microprocessor-driven technology will recognize lithium ion and lead acid battery chemistries and automatically adjust the charging profile to match the battery type.
No more buttons. No more switches. RV owners will have the peace of mind that their batteries will be accurately charged, eliminating over and undercharging risks. Additionally, battery life will be maximized with multi-stage charging and current monitoring in both lead acid and lithium profiles.