Battery disconnect switch

Tweedy

Just purchased a (new) 2014 Gateway 3300ML. I was surprised to discover this unit is not equipped with a battery disconnect. Of course I had one installed by the dealer before we picked it up. This is such a basic and necessary item I would have thought it would be standard equipment on what I consider a higher end brand. As long as the battery is connected to the trailers electrical system there is a steady residual drain from TV's, alarms, etc, that will eventually kill or at least run down the battery during longer periods of storage. I'm not asking for an answer - just commenting.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
At the time we bought our 2010 ElkRidge, it was fourth in the lineup-- Landmark, Bighorn, Big Country, ElkRidge. It didn't come with a battery disconnect. We added one ourselves, probably about 2013. We just disconnected the battery by hand while it was in storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinFever

I was thinking about installing a disconnect on my 2011 Elkridge. Yesterday I noticed a horrible smell and turned out to be the battery. I usually keep the trailer plugged in when we're home. The battery seemd to be a bit low on electrolyte so will add some tomorrow. I have really wanted to replace the battery with a sealed unit so I wouldn't worry about the fluid level. Since we've had high 90s and 100s the last few weeks the battery is bound to evaporate a little.

Jim.Allison

Sophisticated chargers have a thermometer on the battery so the charger can reduce the charge parameters in extreme cold and hot conditions. Batts charge easily in the summer and harder in the winter, it is extremely easy to overcharge a batt in the summer and ruin it. If you do not have a thermometer it is best to turn off your charger in 90+ heat unless you know they require charging.

Since we've had high 90s and 100s the last few weeks the battery is bound to evaporate a little.

Howdy folks, new to the Heartland brand and to the forum. I have a new 2015 305 Roadwarrior 36' and we do have a batt disconnect switch. Unfortunately the single batt will not last through the night. I plan to add two new gp 27 batteries with a marine style disconnect swich that has ON, bank one, bank two, both, and off. With all of the 3 TVs, switches for fridge, etc., for dry camping I think multiple 12volt battery banks would be a great improvment. This was our first outing and not much fun charging batteries every day. I had an Evergreen AMPED that I had to completely rebuild batt boxes, propane mounts and equalizer systems for.

jimtoo

Hi Aktraveler,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Yep,,, if your going to boon dock or camp without electrical hookups, then you will need more than just the one battery for sure.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

"Hi-Viz" Bill

I have a related question !! I've been told that when on shore power, for extended periods of time, that I should switch off my battery disconnect on my Landmark 365. I'm not sure about any of this. Is that true?? Also, what is the reason?? Is it bad for the batteries somehow?? Thanx

danemayer

I have a related question !! I've been told that when on shore power, for extended periods of time, that I should switch off my battery disconnect on my Landmark 365. I'm not sure about any of this. Is that true?? Also, what is the reason?? Is it bad for the batteries somehow?? Thanx
Modern Power Converters keep the battery charged with an intelligent controller that varies output to maintain the battery in good condition. It's likely that the person advising you assumed you have a dumb charger.

But it is a good idea to check water level once a month and add as necessary - probably not very often.