Battery drain from inverter

mthompson

This is the wife asking.....2020 Landmark Newport. After a year of owning the Newport, we found the refrigerator was plugged in to the wrong outlet and that is why the inverter did not keep it running while traveling. Now that is remedied. Our most recent trip was the first time utilizing this function. When we arrived at our location, our batteries were drained down enough that our leveling system and slides would not work unless we hooked up to shore power. The batteries were down to 12.2. Is this common? We expected the truck to keep the charge up on the batteries - but not enough, I guess. Any advise or explanation would be appreciated.

wdk450

I added a 12 volt mini voltmeter to my tank test panel, with a multimeter found the wires that got a 12 volt reading when the "Test button" is pressed, and wired the meter into that. Now when I press the "Test" button with the charger OFF (AC breaker off or disconnected from shore power) I see the battery voltage; with shorepower connected and the charger breaker ON I see the converter/charger charging voltage at that time; with the truck umbilical connected (shorepower disconnected), and the truck motor running I see charging voltage at that time from the truck.
You can also look for voltage changes to see if charging sources are working. Just battery reading, turn on converter, voltage should go up. Just battery reading (shorepower disconnected), connect to truck and turn on truck motor, reading should go up.
Here is an E-Bay search list on these:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...570.l1313&_nkw=mini+12+vdc+voltmeter&_sacat=0

These are so cheap at lots of 10 that you could wire one in right at your battery too, (with a switch if you prefer); maybe at your umbilical cable electrical box; or give them out to your RVing friends.