Battery vs. 110

CindyB

Just bought a 2012 Big Country 32' fifth wheel. This is my SEVENTH RV so I'm not completely new at this. Problem is, I didn't get any of the owner's manuals and that offers some challenges. Most recently, I'm not getting 12V power to my lights inside, but the landing gear and slides work on 12V. Is this just a fuse issue?

Also, there is a switch mounted just inside of the forward cargo area on the RH side. On/off and I have no clue what this is for. It's attached to some major wiring there. I'm hoping this is the secret battery disconnect. If it's not and if I DO have one, where might I find it?

Thanks all.
Cindy

Glad I found this site. It'll come in handy when I head south.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if your BC came with a battery disconnect, but if it did it sounds like you found it.
Turn it on then check your 12v lights.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

Hi CindyB,

First of all, we have an extensive collection of manufacturer manuals on the forum. Here's a link. You can also get there from the TOOLS tab at the top of page.

Second, in the manuals section of the forum, we have a number of owner-written user guides and troubleshooting guides that can help you out with lots of tips from other owners.

One of the troubleshooting guides is a 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide.

If you're plugged into shore power, and the interior lights are not working, but the landing gears and slides are working, you have a problem with the Power Converter (converts 120V AC to 12V DC). Normally the Power Converter will supply power directly to the 12V fuse box to run lights, furnace, thermostat, refrigerator circuit board, water heater circuit board, alarms, etc. It also supplies power to keep the battery charged. When not plugged into shore power, the battery feeds the fuse box and all those devices.

The battery also powers the slides and landing gear through a buss bar and 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near the battery.

SO, if the battery is powering the slides and landing gear, but is not powering the lights, the connection is open somewhere. It's very likely that a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker has tripped. Near the battery you'll find a row of circuit breakers that look something like the pictures below. One of them has a teeny-tiny reset button as shown.

Resetting the breaker will probably restore your lights, until you run the battery down. You'll also need to figure out why the Power Converter isn't working. The 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide should help with that.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 32
  • circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 29
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 26

CindyB

Wow! Thank you guys for the prompt reply. I'm going to like this site.

Everything works great when plugged in to shore power, just no interior lights when on battery alone. I'll check the circuit breakers first thing tomorrow. I sure hope it's not a problem with the converter. That can get expensive. Once I get that resolved, I can check to see if the mystery switch is the battery disconnect.

Thanks again - Cindy

Hi CindyB,

First of all, we have an extensive collection of manufacturer manuals on the forum. Here's a link. You can also get there from the TOOLS tab at the top of page.

Second, in the manuals section of the forum, we have a number of owner-written user guides and troubleshooting guides that can help you out with lots of tips from other owners.

One of the troubleshooting guides is a 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide.

If you're plugged into shore power, and the interior lights are not working, but the landing gears and slides are working, you have a problem with the Power Converter (converts 120V AC to 12V DC). Normally the Power Converter will supply power directly to the 12V fuse box to run lights, furnace, thermostat, refrigerator circuit board, water heater circuit board, alarms, etc. It also supplies power to keep the battery charged. When not plugged into shore power, the battery feeds the fuse box and all those devices.

The battery also powers the slides and landing gear through a buss bar and 12V DC mini-circuit breakers near the battery.

SO, if the battery is powering the slides and landing gear, but is not powering the lights, the connection is open somewhere. It's very likely that a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker has tripped. Near the battery you'll find a row of circuit breakers that look something like the pictures below. One of them has a teeny-tiny reset button as shown.

Resetting the breaker will probably restore your lights, until you run the battery down. You'll also need to figure out why the Power Converter isn't working. The 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide should help with that.

donr827

The switch you are wondering about, Is the switch like a normal light switch, move switch up and down, or is it a heavy duty that you have to rotate?.....Don

DuaneG

Not sure if reading into this or not. All lights do not work when on battery alone in my trailer. Only select ones. Did you try more than just the main ones. I am going to be upset if they are all supposed to work and I am just figuring it out.

bsuds

The switch in the front compartment on my 2011 is for the light in the compartment. If it's not coming on then the switch on the light itself is in the off position.

danemayer

Not sure if reading into this or not. All lights do not work when on battery alone in my trailer. Only select ones. Did you try more than just the main ones. I am going to be upset if they are all supposed to work and I am just figuring it out.

DuaneG,

Do all your lights work when on shore power? There may be some 110V lights in the kitchen or living area.

DuaneG

All lights works with shore power. I thought a couple worked with battery only but will have to check to make sure. It's in storage right now and was going to do a dry camp in a couple weeks so I better figure this out.

CindyB

The switch you are wondering about, Is the switch like a normal light switch, move switch up and down, or is it a heavy duty that you have to rotate?.....Don
My switch in question is like a light switch, up and down, on and off. Still don't know what it's for. I've ruled out battery disconnect as that is right by one of the batteries and VERY obvious what it's for.

CindyB

The problem turned out to be the reset button. Once we (my brother and I) found it and ID'd it, with a little difficulty, we reset it. All is fine now.

Cindy

donr827

My switch in question is like a light switch, up and down, on and off. Still don't know what it's for. I've ruled out battery disconnect as that is right by one of the batteries and VERY obvious what it's for.
On my Bighorn that switch will control the two lights in the forward compartment. Leave the on/off switch ON the light fixture on and then you can turn them both off/on with the switch you were talking about.........Don

pegmikef

On my Bighorn that switch will control the two lights in the forward compartment. Leave the on/off switch ON the light fixture on and then you can turn them both off/on with the switch you were talking about.........Don

Yeah, mine too. I didn't know it for about six months and cussed everytime I had to get on my knees so I could reach in and up to turn the light on and always thinking what a dumb set up . . . then someone else on this forum posted the info about the switch. Tried mine and it worked. Now I think it is actually a pretty good design.