Be careful out there!

RoadJunkie

One can only speculate about the cause of this accident. Each of us probably has a guess...don't take the "chance" and watch that speed. Not implying a cause, just a reminder even to myself.

MP_CS

Wonder if he had any experience passing a tractor trailer, it is definitely a puckering experience the first time. I'm betting he panicked.

Speedy

I'm going to say this was a conventional trailer and not a 5er because I don't see a raised platform up front and the center mounted AC unit. So the description in the report that the driver lost control when passed by a semi fits quite well.

Let's all be careful out there.

RoadJunkie

I'm going to say this was a conventional trailer and not a 5er because I don't see a raised platform up front and the center mounted AC unit. So the description in the report that the driver lost control when passed by a semi fits quite well.

Especially with your moniker, Speedy! :rolleyes:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

No it says he was passing a semi. I've seen video of folks pulling, passing a semi, and as soon as they get past the truck of the semi, start fish tailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattman

I hope they were able to find a change of underwear in the wreckage. Might had to find a pair for the semi driver if it was really close.

Mattman

Looking at that truck. It almost looks like a half ton. Small mirrors. Doesn't look like it has a trans cooler in the grill.

gasman

Camp Socializer
If you read the attached article, the cause is pretty well defined. They clearly state it was a Chevrolet!

BigGuy82

Our first RV years ago was a 25' trailer pulled by a full size van and I had to learn how to tow. The first thing I learned is not to pass semi's unless you are properly equipped. That means a load distribution hitch and sway control. It also means having a powerful enough truck to get you past the semi in a short period of time instead of hanging out in the passing lane. By the time I traded up, I could handle that trailer very well but I always stayed within the limits, especially given the speed limitations of trailer tires.

Don't know what this guy had but it's pretty clear that one thing he didn't have was control. An expensive lesson. When in doubt, hang back.

What's also interesting is that to get a drivers license, you need to take a road test. In many states, you need to have a boat license. As far as I know, no state requires an RV license unless it involves large units. This article shows that it might be wise to get new trailer operators some lessons and a license, regardless of coach size.

Lou_and_Bette

This article shows that it might be wise to get new trailer operators some lessons and a license, regardless of coach size.

I think the RV Industry, as a whole, would fight to prevent any initiative towards this becoming a requirement to operate.

BigGuy82

I think the RV Industry, as a whole, would fight to prevent any initiative towards this becoming a requirement to operate.
On the other hand, the insurance companies might fight to implement it. In the overall scope of things, the RV industry is tiny.

olcoon

Our first RV years ago was a 25' trailer pulled by a full size van and I had to learn how to tow. The first thing I learned is not to pass semi's unless you are properly equipped. That means a load distribution hitch and sway control. It also means having a powerful enough truck to get you past the semi in a short period of time instead of hanging out in the passing lane. By the time I traded up, I could handle that trailer very well but I always stayed within the limits, especially given the speed limitations of trailer tires.

Don't know what this guy had but it's pretty clear that one thing he didn't have was control. An expensive lesson. When in doubt, hang back.

What's also interesting is that to get a drivers license, you need to take a road test. In many states, you need to have a boat license. As far as I know, no state requires an RV license unless it involves large units. This article shows that it might be wise to get new trailer operators some lessons and a license, regardless of coach size

A friend of mine is thinking of starting a "driving school". He's an ex-trucker, & living in his 5er full time. We were talking last weekend & he's noticed that some people newbies, & those of more experience sometimes don't know the basics of hooking up/unhooking, and or driving. He said that when things in his life get a little more stable he was thinking about pulling into a campground, and putting up flyers in the area and putting on some classes on how things are supposed to be done.

I'm kind of thinking he could make a go of it. I've seen several times here on the forum someone asking about where to learn how to drive their rig, etc. Personally I'm thinking that some of the things that keep people from doing it, is the cost, and no locations near where they are or going to be.

But yes I somewhat agree that people need to be more adept at operating an RV than some are, and there are some states that require their residents have a CDL, or an endorsement on their DL to operate an RV, or they are thinking about it.

BigGuy82

A friend of mine is thinking of starting a "driving school". He's an ex-trucker, & living in his 5er full time. We were talking last weekend & he's noticed that some people newbies, & those of more experience sometimes don't know the basics of hooking up/unhooking, and or driving. He said that when things in his life get a little more stable he was thinking about pulling into a campground, and putting up flyers in the area and putting on some classes on how things are supposed to be done.

I'm kind of thinking he could make a go of it. I've seen several times here on the forum someone asking about where to learn how to drive their rig, etc. Personally I'm thinking that some of the things that keep people from doing it, is the cost, and no locations near where they are or going to be.

But yes I somewhat agree that people need to be more adept at operating an RV than some are, and there are some states that require their residents have a CDL, or an endorsement on their DL to operate an RV, or they are thinking about it.
Along those lines, my RV dewaler has been selling a Class A driving course recently. The instructor flies in and spend a week going over everything regarding the coach and it's equipment plus they give driving instructions. Theoretically, when the new owner drives off the lot, they at least have a clue.

DMaxRocks

That is definately a half ton truck. You can tell by the hood, the HD's have the "power" bump in the front of the hood (unless its an '03) and the tow mirrors.

-Mark