BENT Frame and Suspension Issue...

Long story short...

I have a Cyclone 5w Toy Hauler (1 year old and 11k mileage) that had a tire wear issue. Took it to the local authorized dealer/service shop for alignment who determined the suspension hangers were layed-over in different directions and binding. Also they noted the right frame I-beam was "bent" above both rear axles, in addition to having a cracked weld on the opposite side cross member. In their opinion it was a manufacturer defect and they also would be unable to repair the suspension due to the frame bending (description below). I took it up with Lippert and their reaction was to deny a problem.

After consulting 2 more QUALIFIED shops in the area and hiring a forensic engineering firm (Insurance Company)... the consensus was the same: Manufacturing Defect leading to suspension failure, leading to tire damage. Now Lippert agrees to look at it and they transport the coach to their factory.

HERE IS THE KICKER...

Lippert says the frame has no damage and that the "frame flexing" is "normal". In my case, if one puts a straight edge to the frame I-beam above the tandem rear axles, there is a "wave/bend" in it that measures up to 1/2" from trough to apex.

I have a hard time believing that they manufacture frames that are supposed to bend. In addition I have spoken with 2 authorized dealers, who have over 100 years combined experience in RV sales/service, only to hear that none of them know of any such "flex allowance" in the frame. There is a tolerance for a frame being out of square, however that is not the case with mine.

I have religiously weighed the RV to make sure it's not overloaded and still have the scale receipts. The coach has also not been in any type of collision/road hazard incident, nor has it been turned in excess of 75-80 degrees.

MY QUESTIONS TO YOU ALL:
- Have you heard of such frame damage from NORMAL use?

- Have you heard of an "allowance" for frames to bend/distort due to normal use?

Thank you for your advice and experience in advance!

porthole

Retired
MY QUESTIONS TO YOU ALL:
- Have you heard of such frame damage from NORMAL use?

- Have you heard of an "allowance" for frames to bend/distort due to normal use?

No and no.

But, the frame probably does allow for some flexing. A frame so stiff as to never flex or move would probably crack at any stress point going over normal roads.

Your issue sounds like just that - an issue that needs to be addressed. Keep after Lippert.

Re: Twisted Frame Above Axles

Take a look at my thread started yesterday, I've got similar issues. The suspension/hangers can be fixed, however the shops will not do it because of the frame bend/twist above the axles.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/40878-BENT-Frame-and-Suspension-Issue

Lippert is telling me that it is "normal" however the MULTIPLE credible repair facilities disagree. If it is "normal" then why will the shops refuse to work on it? Also, the engineer who examined the unit stated in a report to the insurance company that the frame is weakened in that area as well. This has lead to the insurance company investigating to determine if the unit is uninsurable due to manufacturer defect. Right now discussions are in place with Lippert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cracked Frame - PART II

This is an *addition* to the now closed thread at //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/12906-Cracked-Frame?highlight=bent+frame

In the process of researching the twisted/bent frame I-Beam above my axles, I came across the following Lippert Service bulletin: LIP Sheet - 0135 RevA "Repairing Frame Cracks in Axle Location". Clearly this is a weak point of the frame and the manufacturer has issued the bulletin to help with the repairs at local shops. Maybe this knowledge will help owners dealing with this issue.

Good Luck!

Attachments

• 10-13060273-0 Appendix A.pdf
    95.3 KB · Views: 120

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Re: Cracked Frame - PART II

We had that repair made when our spring hanger sheered off of our Bighorn. Luckily we did not have any twisting or tearing of the I beam above the axles. Whoever got our Bighorn will have no suspension issues...it also has 8k axles and the larger electric brakes.

danemayer

Hi Glaspey,

Sorry you're having problems. Did you speak directly with Lippert? 2009 coaches are pretty far out of warranty, but with unusual problems they sometimes help out.