Best Portable Camping Grill

heiserk

Okay everyone...what's the best portable camping grill out there? Give me your pro's and con's. What do you like and what don't you like? My wife and I need to purchase a new one for our Sundance 5900MK but want something portable, durable, and that can be stored away fairly easily.

RoadJunkie

Don't laugh, but here is some out of the box thinking. We sold our conventional BBQ grill and bought a Traeger "portable" grill, the PTG: http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/grills/BBQ020#.UiefZdghW6M

Think of this unit as a smoker more than a grill, and I recommend you spend a little time looking at their blog located within their web page. Now, this does take 110Vac to operate the pellet feeding auger and fan, but ohhhhhhhh, the food is fabulous!! And you must, of course, carry wood pellets to flavor with your favorite wood type; mesquite, apple, hickory, etc. The unit weighs about 35 pounds, and is admittedly not for everyone, but we simply love ours. We cook a whole chicken in about 1 1/2 hours, and smoked some savory pork ribs using the 3+2+1 recipe (6 hours cooking time, total). Or, we smoked some beef tenderloin steaks for about an hour and then seared for about 10 minutes. Viola, mouth watering, must have, experience. But, you can always go with the Weber Baby-Q.

wdk450

This is even more out of the box: I have been carrying my propane grill in the back of the truck, but haven't used it in 2 years. I have gone over to Liquid Smoke, Hickory and Mesquite. I get the smoky flavor without all of the grill bother.

GOTTOYS

Weber Q here too. No flare ups, no hot spots, cast iron grate, easy to clean. I won't even look at anything else....Don

GlenStMary

I second that! The only problem I have had with this grill is when the heat plate finally goes, it is a PITA to find another plate. Mine is over 15 years old, still looks as it did when new, but has been through two plates up to this point, and I'm looking for another at this moment. Priorguy, if you know where I can find another heat plate, please let me know.

Greengas

I bought the portable grill that is sold at Sams Club. Plenty of power, heats fast and consistent, and its got square sides so it stores easy. The thing I don't like about the Weber and other such grills is that they grill plate is just that, a plate. Too much solid surface. Acts more like frying than grilling.

Ok Weber Lovers, let me have it! :0

Pizzaguy

Weber Q here too. No flare ups, no hot spots, cast iron grate, easy to clean. I won't even look at anything else....Don
I even take the WeberQ out of the camper to use when we are home. Have 2 gas grills we don't even use.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Another vote for Weber Q120 from me. I've had several others including an Olympian from Camping World. the Weber, in my opinion is far better. Ours is 7 years old with all the original parts. No rust on the burner or anything else. Even heat and easy to clean about twice a year. Oven cleaner a brush and hose. The Q100 is the same grill without the side tables. OH yes, the igniter still works.

ILH

I had the Weber Q120 for a couple of years - then upgraded to the Q200 this year. Tons more room!

Gotta go with the Weber!!! Only mine is the electric. No messing with propane or charcoal. Plug it in & go. Plus use the park's power.You're paying for it!

conradsteph

Coleman Roadtrip for us. Love the griddle and pot burner accessories. Griddle to sear and then move over to grill grate to finish. Not many portables can split up your grill area to do just that unless it has 2 burners.

brianharrison

Sportsman Series - two burner - all stainless steel - grill, flame deflectors, case, burners. etc. 24,000 BTU. I added a thermometer to help determine cooking temps.

Sams Club has it - I bought mine from Costco.

Brian