Best Portable Camping Grill

gebills

This may be an area where the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. We use the Coleman Road Trip LXE. My son uses the same grill when camping. I'm not fond of what it takes to clean after use. Seems like I can never get it clean enough to suit me. I keep toying with the idea of going back to a charcoal grill although the simplicity of the gas grills make it pretty simple. My next move will be to find a gas grill that cleans much easier than the Road Trip. For now, we're gettin' by with the Road Trip. gebills

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
This may be an area where the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. We use the Coleman Road Trip LXE. My son uses the same grill when camping. I'm not fond of what it takes to clean after use. Seems like I can never get it clean enough to suit me. I keep toying with the idea of going back to a charcoal grill although the simplicity of the gas grills make it pretty simple. My next move will be to find a gas grill that cleans much easier than the Road Trip. For now, we're gettin' by with the Road Trip. gebills
I've always wire brushed the grill as soon as the meat comes off. Our Weber has cast iron grates and once seasoned, very easy to clean.

heiserk

Wow! Awesome replies! Looks like the Weber is a popular choice but many other options too. Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming!

vangoes

I have the Q220 and love the way it cooks thoroughly and rarely if ever will it flare up. However, I have had to replace the regulator twice in the 3 1/2 years that I have owned it. Fortunately Weber replaced both of them at no expense as the first one went out within the first year of warranty and the second one went out within the next year. Other than that, they are a great grill.

porthole

Retired
My weber q200 left the RV and is now on the deck at the house. The single burner just doesn't cut it, and the low flame frequnetly goes out in a stiff breeze.

I like the Webers though. The grill on teh q-200 is the perfect size to use on most campfire truck rim rings.

Curently using the Costco version of the stainless grill linked above. Works good and has 2 burners.
Tends to splatter out the side vents so I added some stainless sheetmetal I had in the garage. Blocked the vents on both sides to keep the splatter in.

Lockandload

We have a weber Q and love it, but when it gives out I think I will look into a treager pellet grill, I have a Green Mountain pellet grill I use at home and you can do anything from smoke,bake or grill on it. Green Mountain just does not have a portable one yet.

currituck0209

Do not get the coleman grill, has grill on one end, eye on the other, really nice, except the grill top melted. Made of alum. Not good.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We have a Weber Q200 that we normally keep with the trailer and a smaller Q100 that we had with our TT. I was looking at the newer Q300's, but the cost and fixed stand (both of mine have removable rolling carts) have told me that maybe I should just bring the Q100 back to the rig and have all the extra cooking surface I need.

The way our seasonal site sits, the grills on their stands store easily under the dining room slide, out of the weather. A cable lock around the slide mechanism keeps them there when we're not in residence.

HornedToad

Grill.jpg

Here is a worthless recommendation, unless you tailgate with a big crowd...

I have the WORST portable, but the BEST grill. When I bought a new grill at Academy and it took four people to load it up I knew I was in trouble, so I cut the legs off of my New Braunfels Smoker/Grill and mounted it to a garden cart. Now I take it with me on almost every trip. In my travel trailer days I would load it in the pick-up with motorcycle ramps, now I just ramp it up into the toyhauler.

Low and slow is the only way to go!!! Last week we had hickory smoked roaster chickens for twenty with Big Bob Gibson's white BBQ sauce. Next year our season opener is against Arkansas and I've already found a butcher to get a suckling pig. Sooie!!!

Last edited:

happyappy

We have a weber Q and love it, but when it gives out I think I will look into a treager pellet grill, I have a Green Mountain pellet grill I use at home and you can do anything from smoke,bake or grill on it. Green Mountain just does not have a portable one yet.

Green Mountain just released what could be considered a portable unit called the Davy Crockett. It looks like an interesting choice that would provide a lot of cooking options in a fairly small package.

Does your pellet grill work well as a grill (i.e. searing steaks, cooking burgers, etc.)?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Here is a worthless recommendation, unless you tailgate with a big crowd...

I have the WORST portable, but the BEST grill. When I bought a new grill at Academy and it took four people to load it up I knew I was in trouble, so I cut the legs off of my New Braunfels Smoker/Grill and mounted it to a garden cart. Now I take it with me on almost every trip. In my travel trailer days I would load it in the pick-up with motorcycle ramps, now I just ramp it up into the toyhauler.

Low and slow is the only way to go!!! Last week we had hickory smoked roaster chickens for twenty with Big Bob Gibson's white BBQ sauce. Next year our season opener is against Arkansas and I've already found a butcher to get a suckling pig. Sooie!!!

As far as tailgate meals I got ya beat in two weeks. We are doing blackened shrimp fettuccini. Yummy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

priorguy

This is the best portable grill I could find online. Just need to get my AZ license and off to the tailgate party!! :cool:

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Green Mountain just released what could be considered a portable unit called the Davy Crockett. It looks like an interesting choice that would provide a lot of cooking options in a fairly small package.

Does your pellet grill work well as a grill (i.e. searing steaks, cooking burgers, etc.)?

Mark just bought one of those. We will get it next weekend and will try it out soon after that.

Kristy

HornedToad

This is the best portable grill I could find online. Just need to get my AZ license and off to the tailgate party!! :cool:

Yup, it's portable and you could set up a boy scout camp inside it...
so it get's my vote as the best portable camping grill!!!

happyappy

Mark just bought one of those. We will get it next weekend and will try it out soon after that.

Kristy

You'll have to let us know how it cooks after you've put it through it's paces. Looks like it will fit nicely in the basement...

greg7140

I have to second the Traeger Pellet Grills! I have the JR Elite with tailgater kit on it...a little large probably to be truly called a "portable"...but I don't go anywhere with out it! I purchased the "Texan" model for house so the "JR" now is only used when on the road. My poor 'ole "Baby Q" got upset from lack of use and now won't even light anymore! :p

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I found a master forge stainless steel portable grill at Lowes. It works well and has very even heat. It is portable yet the full grill area cooks very evenly.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have one of those Coleman camp grills . . . and I hate it!

No matter how low you have the flame, it burns the kRap out of everything!!! :mad:

And trying to clean the grates . . . once or twice and no more teflon.

I bought one of these for $30 bucks at Target just before our Memorial Day Weekend campout:

http://www.target.com/p/char-broil-tabletop-gas-grill/-/A-12802282#prodSlot=medium_1_21

Fits in our cubby hole and doesn't take up a lot of space and it works great! :cool: