Best towing route to/thru/around Yellowstone

blarsony

Sorry if this is something posted elsewhere, but my searches resulted in nothing significant.

Taking the family from Boise to Livingston Mt, then to Cody WY, with a return to Boise.

Looking for the best route from W Yellowstone to Livingston KOA in Mt, and from Cody KOA in WY back to West Yellowstone's Grizzly RV Park.

Livingston - Currently planning on going thru West Yellowstone via US-20, then North on US-191 to Livingston KOA.

Cody - Currently have no return route planned. We will be heading to Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone.

Any and all advise or past experiences with routes or places we are staying at would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...!

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Rt 14/20 from Cody to the east entrance, then to lake, Right to Canyon, left to West Yellowstone is the most direct route but you can make to loop to Old Faithful too. We will be there in Sept.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...0-2015-to-9-13-2015/page2?p=407792#post407792

MTPockets

If you have the time (you won't regret it). From Cody head North on 120 to 308 West to Red Lodge, Montanna. Spend some time in Red Lodge (or not) then South on Hwy 212, which is the Beartooth Highway.. The most gorgeous scenery you'll see.. We drove this road four times last summer and liked it more than Yellowstone. Hwy 212 will take you to the Northeast entrance to Yellowstone.. We pulled our Big Horn with no issues, while some don't like the mountain switch backs. We loved it and won't hesitate to do it again.

codycarver

If you have the time (you won't regret it). From Cody head North on 120 to 308 West to Red Lodge, Montanna. Spend some time in Red Lodge (or not) then South on Hwy 212, which is the Beartooth Highway.. The most gorgeous scenery you'll see.. We drove this road four times last summer and liked it more than Yellowstone. Hwy 212 will take you to the Northeast entrance to Yellowstone.. We pulled our Big Horn with no issues, while some don't like the mountain switch backs. We loved it and won't hesitate to do it again.

This is a nice day trip if you are planning on staying in Cody and I'd recommend it if you want to see some beautiful country. Bear tooth pass is just under 11,000 Ft and is named "top of the world". It does not however fall into the "best towing route" in my opinion. In fact the department of transportation has posted signs advising against trailer travel on that part of the Bear tooth Hwy .

MTPockets

This is a nice day trip if you are planning on staying in Cody and I'd recommend it if you want to see some beautiful country. Bear tooth pass is just under 11,000 Ft and is named "top of the world". It does not however fall into the "best towing route" in my opinion. In fact the department of transportation has posted signs advising against trailer travel on that part of the Bear tooth Hwy .
I suppose for the feint of heart that would be right, seasoned drivers won't have an issue; but I didn't find it any more difficult than driving inside Yellowstone.. It would be a better day trip if you didn't need to tow.

codycarver

I suppose for the feint of heart that would be right, seasoned drivers won't have an issue; but I didn't find it any more difficult than driving inside Yellowstone.. It would be a better day trip if you didn't need to tow.

There is a phrase we locals use when visitors end up stuck but it's not "feint of heart":)

All kidding aside, we'll be using the route I suggested come Sept. If your around we'd enjoy meeting you guys. Have a great trip.

MTPockets

Some folks just can't handle heights or inclines or steep drop offs on either side of road and may see these as unsafe. I get that, and those people should not drive on those roads. More accidents occur on straight two lane highways. Others know how to do it, we get to enjoy places others miss due to insecurity on certain roads. Again, that's smart for those drivers to stay away from roads you're not sure you can enjoy. Our plans are rarely on the straight easy roads and are proud to say we've been to some amazing places all over the USA. Best route to one isn't always the same to the next person.