BH 3585 is on order and confirmed

ntoport

Just ordered a 2012 Big Horn 3585. Won't get here for about 5-6 weeks. Looked around a lot and this unit flipped our switch. As soon as we get I guess we better join the club. Any input on this model would be helpful. So far I have only heard its big.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: 2012 Big Horn 3585

I was not aware that the 2012 models were out. We have a coach on order and it is a 2011 as far as I'm aware. Just wondering if it is is true that they are out.

ntoport

My Order states 2012. The dealer said that they should be building them now if not within a week and they would hold the order til they start on the 2012's. I really don't think they are changing them at all just minor items. The proof will be when it gets in.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Steve, I'm sure he knows it's 39' long, 16K gross weight and needs a 1tn to tow it....I hope

ihsolutions

Curious. I was told the 2012 model year changeover was delayed until Fall to line up with the rest of Thor's product lines. Maybe somebody from Heartland can comment on this?

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

With rolling line changes throughout the year, does it really make much difference? Other than to be able to say, I have a "2011" or "2012". The factory is upgrading and changing items throughout the model year anyway,IMHO.

aquiring signal

With rolling line changes throughout the year, does it really make much difference? Other than to be able to say, I have a "2011" or "2012". The factory is upgrading and changing items throughout the model year anyway,IMHO.

I agree. I think the only real difference will be at trade in. Though a late 2011 & early 2012 may be exactly the same, when I go to trade it in 3 years or 4 years from now, they're going to look up the book value. I bet the values of the two will be thousands apart. Of course I know there are many factors and that you can negotiate, but dealers like to use their book.

Someone take a look at the book value of a similar unit that's 4 years old, say a 2008 3670RL and compare that to a 2007 3670RL. What's the delta?

ntoport

I have been all over the 3585, its.....per spec.....is 38'3" long. When I said, " its big", thats what other people are telling me....as if I haven't seen it yet. I will be towing it with a 2011 F-350 Diesel. That new Ford engine is so much better than the 2005 F-350 Diesel I had, power and MPG wise. We spent so much time in the unit he showed us, the salesman thought we were setting up housekeeping in it. As soon as I find out just what YEAR it is I'll let everybody know. Like I said," the proof will be when its gets in".
Jon, How does your tow veh. handle your 3585? and this is a loaded question but, how do you like it....pros and cons...?

FARMER45

We have pulled our new 3585 about 700 miles in the texas hill country in feb. I am getting about 1 mph more than i did pulling my old ,shorter, lighter sob 5th wheel. I have a 2009 chev diesel 2500 with air bags. I couldnt ask for any thing better, going to the rockies this summer, that will be a bigger test

aquiring signal

I have been all over the 3585, its.....per spec.....is 38'3" long. When I said, " its big", thats what other people are telling me....as if I haven't seen it yet. I will be towing it with a 2011 F-350 Diesel. That new Ford engine is so much better than the 2005 F-350 Diesel I had, power and MPG wise. We spent so much time in the unit he showed us, the salesman thought we were setting up housekeeping in it. As soon as I find out just what YEAR it is I'll let everybody know. Like I said," the proof will be when its gets in".
Jon, How does your tow veh. handle your 3585? and this is a loaded question but, how do you like it....pros and cons...?

Our Dodge Ram 3500 single rear wheel truck handles the 3585RL with no problems so far, though I haven't towed it that far yet. I don't anticipate any problems as the new coach is only a few hundred pounds heavier than our previous trailer, a 3670RL. I think the pin weight is also slightly higher on the new rig, too. Truck-wise I'm within the factory specs and ratings. My weakest link seems to be my rear tires, but I've upgraded to Nitto Dura Grapplers that are rated for 3750lbs each at 80psi, much more than the 3195lbs the stock Michelins were rated at maximum. The truck has pulled the 3670 from coast to coast with ease. I would set the cruise control and roll along with little effort; the cruise control brings us smoothly up the hills & the exhaust brake helped us gently down the other side.

aquiring signal

Oh, the second part of your question - the pros & cons. I addressed some of them here:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-2011-Bighorn-Sort-of-a-Review?highlight=3585

larryanddonnakeever

Past Oklahoma Chapter Leaders (Founding)

I am pulling my 3585 with a 2010 Ford F-350 Lariet FX4 6.4 Diesel Dually. I wouldn't think of going with anything less. So far it pulls really well Dual rears offer strability engine never works to hard. As a matter of fact it is hard to stay around 65 to 70 0n the interstate, or turnpike.. It wants to get out and run... most of the time on hills I don't loose more than a couple hundred RPM's.
Good luck on your new 3585, I know you will love it..
Larry

ntoport

I want to thank eveybody who responded to my questions on the 3585. Jon your post was just what I wanted. I think we will be very happy in the 3585. Although some of our friends thinks we're nuts for spending that kind of money. They say, " Do you know how many nights you can stay in a hotel room for that kind of cash?" My anwer is, "do you know who many nights I can sleep in MY OWN BED?" Its called an lifestyle. Just like when we were into boats. Same thing except one floats.
Thanks again

jbeletti

...Do you know how many nights you can stay in a hotel room for that kind of cash?...

Hotel room :eek: Your friends make a valid point but if one has decided they "want to" RV and see North America, it just doesn't get any better. Once the investment is made for RVing reasons, the economics of staying as many nights in the RV while minimizing the number of nights in a hotel :eek: makes sense.

I still stay in a hotel at least 30 nights a year but enjoy more, the 200+ nights spent in my RV, on my sheets, using my shower and sitting in front of my 42" TV with the fireplace on and smiling. Life is good :D

Happy camping y'all.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Ntoport, five years ago I was asked the same question "do you know how many nights in a hotel", bla, bla,bla. We are on our second Bighorn now and have never looked back. They just don't get it.

Peace
Dave

ntoport

model 3585

a while back I posted we were ordering a 3585 Big Horn and that the dealer thought it was going to be a 2012. The dealer got the confirmation from the manufacture that it will be a 2012. Should be completed within 4 to 5 weeks. Know lets see when it comes in what it really is.

ntoport

My dealer confirmed my order of the 3585 and stated he contacted the manufacture and it will be a 2012. Should be 4 to 5 weeks before its here. Hope he is right. We will see.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Re: model 3585

Congrats, ntport, what options are you selecting, including the decor? Hope your are getting the Goodyear G614 tires. Good luck.

ntoport

pecan wood, godiva inter., landmark facia around slides,convet mic, 2nd air, genset, slide toppers, power cord wheel and I know a few more that I can't think of right now. As for as the tires, whatever comes standard. We are going to add a stack w/d later also a sat dish in a year or two. Waiting for wife to retire in 2 years. Will be using this unit here and there getting it ready for full timing it then,when, if she retires.