BH - Black tank valve leak

vpnman

I spent better part of the day here doing loads of research but I can’t figure out what’s going on. I have the dreaded poo leak.

I have a new 2018 BH 3160 that was delivered Monday. Took it straight to a local RV park to tinker and test everything out. This is the first time I’ve seen the rig hands on (bought it online and didn’t get to fly out for PDI).

Its been raining all week until today. I noticed a small puddle around the area where the sewer dump is outside. There was the dreaded smell and drip drip drip. Against better judgement I took off the cap and out came a few gallons of poo water.

I checked the dockng center and all 3 valves appear closed (pushed in). I went ahead and cleaned up best I could and hooked up the sewer hose to the local hookup. I noticed that all 3 valves are stiff but the black is VERY stiff. I read the guide on the site for maintenance but can’t take the belly off at the moment. I did try silicon spray from the outside of the valve handles in the UDC, but can’t tell much difference.

Any help appreciated! I’m also 950 miles from selling dealer. I know I’ve seen threads here (or somewhere else) but my google king fu didn’t shed much light.

The interesting thing is the is the black tank shows roughly 1/3 full, so I know the valve isn’t stuck completely open.

Oregon_Camper

Yuck...that is never fun.

We also have a 3160, but I'm sure this happens to other models as well. When ours has a slight leak from the Black tank, I added another valve to the sewer line. This is added where you normally attach your sewer hose. You attach and leave on at all times. Then you will have a Master Valve for all three tanks. If one leaks, you don't get the surprise on your shoes...

Our black tank leak went away after a few months, I attribute that to something (not going into specific) was stuck between the factory valve, not allowing it to close 100%

Here is the link to the add-on valve on Amazon

https://amzn.to/2QHDpaj

This is what it looks like when installed.

Capture.JPG

esscobra

I have a 3760 - after about a year I developed small drip- used thetford tissue digester and backflush - also will close the black valve then kinda give a extra pushes on it to make sure its seated - no more drip last few months- prob some small debris stuck in gate - try several tims filling tank and then fully open valve to get forcefull flo to clean gate-

CDN

B and B
Hello,

I had the same thing happen. I find pushing the cable firmly in from full open seals up better. Also used vegetable oil at start of season, work the valves, lubes up the seals and makes a better seal. I also use standard dollar store laundry detergent. This has help dislodge chunks while travelling also lubes the valve in season. I plan on cutting the pipe and installing a second gate valve like Oregon Camper has shared to prevent the problem.

vpnman

Quick update for everyone - I ended up running to CW and purchasing the twist-on valve for the end of the dump connection, that will save me from this mess in the future. It does appear that my black valve and cable is stuck. I can move the handle in and out, but doesn't appear to move the actual valve. That will be a project for the coming weekend (yay).