BH270 with Silverado 1500 Trail Boss

brizzo22

Looking for some advice. I have a Silverado Trail Boss 1500. I have a GCWR of 15,000lbs and weighed the truck and camper a while back when it was fully loaded with my family and cargo. We were at 13,900lbs.

I have done several 6+ hour trips without issue and had no problems pulling my rig. We are thinking about a much longer trip out west to Yellowstone. While I fully plan to lighten that load a bit, should I be concerned being somewhat close to my rating limits?

On a sidenote, I took the same truck and approximately the same cargo from IL to South Dakota with a smaller camper and had zero issues. That was probably about 2000lbs lighter overall.

carl.swoyer

Looking for some advice. I have a Silverado Trail Boss 1500. I have a GCWR of 15,000lbs and weighed the truck and camper a while back when it was fully loaded with my family and cargo. We were at 13,900lbs.

I have done several 6+ hour trips without issue and had no problems pulling my rig. We are thinking about a much longer trip out west to Yellowstone. While I fully plan to lighten that load a bit, should I be concerned being somewhat close to my rating limits?

On a sidenote, I took the same truck and approximately the same cargo from IL to South Dakota with a smaller camper and had zero issues. That was probably about 2000lbs lighter overall.
Pulling the camper is not the question.
How easy can you stop it or slow it down is the real concern.
Yellowstone has extremely long and steep grades. My truck is a 3500 silverado dually with exhaust and grade breaking. I went through 2 years ago and saw some undersized trucks with smoking breaks. I wouldn't do it
Unless you upgrade your tow vehicle.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

brizzo22

Thanks. I havent really had any problems and been on some decent trips with this setup, but not much grade change.

i will be coming in from the black hills over to bozeman and dropping in 191 to the west gate. From what I can see, there isnt anything terrible. We'll be heading to Teton from there after a few days and then taking 26 back over towards the black hills.

upgrading the tow vehicle is on the table!

thewanderingeight

I'm not familiar with the capabilities of that truck, but I would say if it doesn't have some kind of engine braking that does most of the work while going down steep grades, I would be concerned with the brakes in some of the areas that have steep grades that are several miles long. If the truck does have this ability, and you are within your GCVWR, you should be fine.

CoveredWagon

I've done that exact same trip with a 2500 Duramax with exhaust braking and trans shifting, pulling a 3270rs (14,000 lbs). Believe me I would not have wanted to do that trip with that load with any less capability.

rhodies1

Bizzzo22... you have been good advise here on your question about your trucks capabilities.The biggest factor here you need to consider is your family’s safety,is it worth the risk with a truck that is really under capable of the terrain you are looking at travelling.
Maybe plan this trip some other time when you have upgraded your truck.

Last edited:
Hi brizzo, I have a 2020 Silverado trail boss 1500 and have the Mallard M26. I will say that I feel that even though from a weight aspect I am well under what the truck is rated, I feel that the camper kicks my trucks tail. Personally I have an F250 on order to support our trips through the mountains in the east coast this summer, and the west coast next summer. I would say don’t chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Brizzo22 - simple question if you lost your trailer brakes can you safely stop? We were coming west on I-10 in November 2020, and we cut a hydraulic brake losing our brakes. We have a 2018 Road Warrior, about 21,000 lbs., with the MorRyde IS system, disc brakes and tow with a 2017 Ram 3500 dually Aisin transmission, 4:10 rear end. Getting off of I-10 to get fuel when I hit the brakes "I told the wife to hang on we lost our trailer brakes." The Ram had enough braking power and engine power/braking to stop us.
Will your truck be able to stop your outfit?