Big Horn m3400rl batteries

Delvin

I have a 2008 Big Horn, M3400rl, 5th wheel. Question: It has 2 batteries..What is the purpose/reason of having 2?

danemayer

Hi Delvin,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm guessing you have a Residential Refrigerator, rather than the traditional RV gas absorption type. The 2nd battery contributes to keeping the refrigerator powered while towing.

Our Residential Refrigerator User Guide has more information, an electrical block diagram, and more.

danemayer

I just looked again and I see you have a 2008 Bighorn. That would have come from the factory with 1 battery. People add additional batteries to extend run time for 12V DC devices when not on shore power. Back when we were doing winter camping, I added a 2nd battery to give us additional furnace run time in the event of a power outage.

Delvin

Hi Delvin,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm guessing you have a Residential Refrigerator, rather than the traditional RV gas absorption type. The 2nd battery contributes to keeping the refrigerator powered while towing.

Our Residential Refrigerator User Guide has more information, an electrical block diagram, and more.
The 2 batteries are connected in a 24 volt series. I far as I can tell, everything inside is 12 volt. There is also a spot for a 3rd battery I believe was for a generator. The original 2 batteries are connected to the wiring block that is down the battery arena.

danemayer

The 2 batteries are connected in a 24 volt series. I far as I can tell, everything inside is 12 volt. There is also a spot for a 3rd battery I believe was for a generator. The original 2 batteries are connected to the wiring block that is down the battery arena.

When a 2nd 12V battery is added, it's supposed to be wired in parallel so the 2 batteries output 12V DC, but have more amp hours available. If they are 2, 12 Volt batteries in series, producing 24 V, you could have problems in multiple areas. But sometimes peope get a pair of 6 volt batteries and wire them in series to produce 12V.

Are you sure you've got 24V coming out of the batteries? Is everything in the trailer working properly?

Flick

I have a 2008 Big Horn, M3400rl, 5th wheel. Question: It has 2 batteries..What is the purpose/reason of having 2?

If you don’t have a residential fridge, don’t have a generator to occasionally start, don’t do a lot of off grid camping or anything else that is a large draw on your 12v battery system, then you probably don’t need 2. Otherwise, if you do have a large draw, say to power an inverter, etc., than 2 is good.