Big Rigs and RV Parks

RVFun4Us

Since purchasing our beloved Heartland Bighorn, hubby and I have used our 5th wheel for mostly Volunteer Park Hosting duties and our 'home away from home' while dealing with issues relating to my aging parents. We have taken a couple of trips to the coast and around the state but all of those were pre planned with reservations for all stays. Now we are ready to hit the road!! We need some great advice about traveling with a Big Rig and as few reservations as possible...We would love to hear your experiences of traveling around the country with a Big Rig 50 ft and up, Truck & 5th wheel)and how easy it is to get a spot at the end of your day of travels...

My question is regarding having a Big Rig and finding sites that are long enough to accommodate us. Our total combined length is 53'6", which definitely causes issues in State Parks as they were built before Big Rigs were!! So we now find ourselves mostly thinking of staying at RV Parks instead of State parks.
We are concerned that as we travel around we may have an issue with finding an RV Park that will accommodate our
53'6" length without reservations. Do you full timers and constant travelers have issues with finding a spot that will easily accommodate your Big Rigs? Accommodate to us also means that they are easy to get in and out of the spot.. Yes, that would be what is called, 'Big Rig Friendly' RV Parks. Nice that we have Big rig friendly parks but what do you do if they are not big rig friendly??

Our thoughts are to book the first nights stay, then to just go day by day and call ahead either the morning we intend to travel further or the day before and book a night.. We would love to be able to travel to each location, spend as much time as we want to and then travel to the next adventure and stay as long as we like without reservations...

As always thank you for your thoughts!

MTPockets

We've travelled from FL to WA full time now 3 1/2 years. Before that, travelled summers. Our preference is State and Nat'l Parks, but 99% of the time we plan ahead and make reservations on-line where site size and location is given. A high percent of time, we find what we want. I know folks who do not reserve or plan ahead, and those very few times we don't, we find ourselves rushing to leave early to arrive early hoping to get a good site... I grew tired of that fast and now with advance planning and plenty of time, we leave late, drive 200 miles or less, spend two or more nights, and never have to think about where we will stay tonight. Sooo much nicer being full time, a travel plan, with sites reserved that we selected.....

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
We traveled 10 weeks from PA across the country from the end of March into June last year. We only called ahead for specific reservations once. However we did stay put over Memorial Day weekend once we had a site.
As to length, if you can back your rig into a site, it increases your possibilities at many RV parks and CG.
I'm not as long as some rigs but have not had any issues in any spots we've stayed.
Currently in a Montana state park for few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GOTTOYS

State parks are usually older parks and like older RV parks most were built when trailers and motorhomes were much smaller. We have only stayed in a State park a couple of times. In our experience many of them are over run with "weekend warriors" and often are too crowded or noisy for our tastes. We have never had a problem finding a big enough space in a private RV park. Some of the sites might be a bit tight but we have always fit...Don

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
We frequently stay in state parks in CO, NE, NM, TX, and KS. Our Silverado is 37'6" and we have always been able to find sites large enough to accommodate us. We usually check ahead and get reservations if possible.

RVFun4Us

I appreciate your comments very much. Perhaps I should have made my question much more simplistic! ��
Also I didn't mean to suggest all State Parks were off limits for Big Rigs. Many State Parks accommodate Big Rigs easily. However some were built way before RV's became super sized. I should have just asked if those of you with Big Rigs (with a total combined length of Truck & 5th wheel of 50 ft or more), have issues finding sites that will accommodate you as you travel around the country.
Thank you again for your comments.

jjriker

We haven't had issues finding sites/rv parks that we will fit in, but we do take a good look at them before we go there. We have learned that putting "big rig friendly" on the web page does not always make it so in reality. We always check them out on google earth and rv park reviews before we reserve a spot.

kowAlski631

We traveled a year full-time time in ours and it worked for us having reservations. We'd make them a week out, but we also researched park looking at reviews, Google earth, and trip advisor to see what was in the area to determine how long we'd stay in any one location. We always made sure to have advance reservations over holiday weekends and popular tourist areas during the summer. We like the rule of 2s - 200 miles, stopping by 2pm, staying for 2 days. We did that with exceptions and it worked for us. It's not for everyone, but........

JanAndBill

I appreciate your comments very much. Perhaps I should have made my question much more simplistic! 😊
Also I didn't mean to suggest all State Parks were off limits for Big Rigs. Many State Parks accommodate Big Rigs easily. However some were built way before RV's became super sized. I should have just asked if those of you with Big Rigs (with a total combined length of Truck & 5th wheel of 50 ft or more), have issues finding sites that will accommodate you as you travel around the country.
Thank you again for your comments.

Over the years we've stayed in State and National Parks several times. Some were great, some not so good. When hooked our rig is right at 65' long which is a little difficult in some areas, but the maneuverability of the 5th wheel makes up for it. However our height is over 13' which is a major concern for us. This spring we were at a rally where our next door neighbor was telling us about how he removed the A/C on his new 5th wheel courtesy of a low hanging live oak limb. He was driving down a city street that he had traveled down many times with his previous trailer.

Our personal experience is that we've had problems with the electrical hookups in a few of the state parks. Not sure if they are as well maintained as private parks, or we've just been unlucky. The other issue for us is the lack of internet connection or cell service in some areas.

GregP

The last post mentioned a traveller who had lost the A/C unit to an overhanging branch. we have had some experience with low hanging branches in campgrounds, fortunately with no damage to the unit, however we always (now!) keep an eye on the overhead clearance as much or possibly more than the campsite length. As previously mentioned, if you don't mind backing into a site, often you can get a better location. On a few occasions, the site assigned wasn't long enough to accommodate both trailer and truck, but we were able to unhook and park the truck adjacent or nearby so it was no big deal. I mention this only because the emphasis appears to be on overall length, but a lot of the fifth wheels are at or near the maximums for height on most highways and the potential for major costly damage is out there if we don't look up. We travelled through Western Canada, Yukon Territory, and Western States without reservations ahead and had no major problems finding sites when needed while pulling our BH3010RE.

Greg

pegmikef

Don't overlook Corps of Engineer parks. They tend to have larger sites than most state parks, are very reasonably priced and normally well maintained. One thing is they are always near water. And at most of them you can reserve specific sites. I usually use google maps to help pick out sites.

RVFun4Us

We always do a ton of research on Rv Parks/ campgrounds. We just don't want to be locked into a schedule so we have the capability of enjoying an area to its fullest before moving on. We are diligent planners ad nauseum. LOL We are hoping to be able to travel without worry that we won't find a site long enough when we are ready to settle in for the night. We also enjoy shorter jaunts traveling about 3 hours and then settle in for the night. Thank you for some great comments everyone!!

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Don't over think things. There are ample places to stay out here without precision planning !!
We're on week 3 of a 4 month trip and we've found a suitable spot, sure we look ahead, for each night(s) stop without calling ahead to make reservations. I hate to be tied to that type of schedule knowing I HAVE to be there because I have a reservation to keep. JMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We've had both good and bad luck with making reservations ahead of time . . . and just driving until you are ready to pull over!

I don't think there is one good answer or solution for either tactic!

Last January, on our way to the Arizona 2015 Heartland Owners Club Rally in Quartzsite, we had a wheel bearing burnout in Phoenix, which gave us an unwanted 2-day layover while getting the trailer fixed.

We had reservations in Quartzsite . . . four nights payed . . . lost two of those nights as they were non-refundable (we did have a blast at the rally once we got there)!

It was a bummer . . . at least we were lucky enough that there was an RV park right next door to the RV dealership (Sun City RV on Grande Ave. in Mesa, AZ) where we could stay in our trailer while the work was done!

Now, on our way home, we had a paid-for reservation in Albuquerque, New Mexico for the night . . . and once we got to the (Good Sam's Approved - NOT!) campground, we couldn't fit into the site available, and since it was after office hours when we arrived, there was no help from the office (they were in the office as I could see them through the window, but they wouldn't answer the door knocks) we finally pulled out and drove up I-25 until we found a KOA 15 miles north of town!

So . . . one night stay . . . two nights paid!

My advice is this . . .

If you are traveling without a reservation, make sure you find a campground or RV park long before dark (at least two hours before sunset)!

Once the sun goes down, it is a major pain in the rear end trying to drive through any campground and then trying to fit into any spaces available!

And download the 'RVParky' app to your smartphone . . .

This is one app than any RV'er should not be without . . .

From now on, we will find a place to stay while on the road without making any reservations, as it seems that the much better option is to drive until you are ready to pull over, then use the 'RVParky' app to locate any RV parks or campgrounds in the area where you are when you are ready to pull over!

Oh . . . one more thing . . . I used to think that KOA parks were overpriced . . . but after our trip to AZ in January, 2015, I've come to the conclusion that they are at least reliable to fit our RV's where any other RV park you are on your own to try and fit into one of their RV parking spots.

As it turned out, we stayed at three different KOA campgrounds (Las Vegas, NM, Hollbrook, AZ, and Albuquerque, NM) on that trip to and from the AZ HOC Rally, due to the fact that we could actually fit into the available spaces when we pulled in after hours!

We will be joining the KOA RV'ers Club when we hit the road again . . .

avvidclif

I also run by the 2's. On the road by 10, 200-250mi, and spend a min of 2 days. The other thing I found out is do your traveling during the week. It's alot easier to find an empty slot than on the weekend. Less traffic too.

kowAlski631

I also run by the 2's. On the road by 10, 200-250mi, and spend a min of 2 days. The other thing I found out is do your traveling during the week. It's alot easier to find an empty slot than on the weekend. Less traffic too.
Absolutely!! Shopping and sightseeing are less stressful during the week too. Another reward for retirement!

RVFun4Us

Thanks again for more great comments!! It sounds as though our greatest concern of being too large to fit into a site isn't much of a concern after all. And we do realize that there are always little bumps in the road along our journey. Luckily being Retired allows us the luxury of time on our side.
If possible a visual on a Park is sometimes the best way to judge a Park rather than rely on the ratings. We have seen parks rated very highly and driven by to find them in a less than desirable area and very trashy. Not sure how they got the high rating.. We always make a notation in our files when we find something that we know isn't what we are looking for.
I have several great RV apps loaded on my phone. There are some really great ones out there!
Thanks for your thoughts
Sheri

Gary521

RVFun4us. You are over thinking this total length stuff. I have the same model you have and its not an issue. You can alway unhook and park the truck where it will fit.

SilverRhino

RVFun4us. You are over thinking this total length stuff. I have the same model you have and its not an issue. You can alway unhook and park the truck where it will fit.

I've been thinking the same thing.......I think you fall more into the "Average Size Rig" and should really not have any problems. We have found that often we cannot leave our truck in front of the trailer anymore, but have always been able to keep it somewhere close by.

Travel Safe!