Big Time RV TV Show Episode On Slide Floor Replacement

wdk450

Gang:
I happened to have the TV on this morning, and chose to tune in the "Big Time RV' show on the Great American Country (GAC) channel on Dish. Well, the episode was entitled "Complete RV Overhaul", but one of the segments concerned a couple with a luxury class A motorhome, where they suspected water leakage into the slide floor, as the slide was difficult to move. They took the rig to a RV repair facility in Florida, and the 2 man crew had a unique pair of jigs to easily remove the slide for servicing. Imagine the steps in your 5th wheel but on a much bigger, stronger scale. The steps were made out of maybe 1 inch plywood, all slide contacting surfaces covered with thick carpeting. The step depth was about 3 feet an the rise about the same, with a bottom step and a top step. The whole jig was maybe 24 inches wide, as it fir on a hydraulic platform jack cart. The bottom step contacts the bottom of the slide, and the outside edge of the slide contacts the rise above the 1st step. The back edge of the jigs (away from the steps) starts with an outward curve away from the steps to a flat edge. This is so that the slide can be easily rolled backwards to an inside slide surface up/slide bottom sideways position. One of these jigs is on each end outside of the slide, and 2 hydraulic platform jack carts are used for the lifting/slide replacement positioning.

This is kind of hard to explain, I tried to do a freehand Paint drawing of the jigs, but it came out pretty poor. The episode is available on You Tube, but for a minimum $1.99 payment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0CMxu3D7WI I tried to find these jigs on Google Images, but had no luck. Even if you are not doing this repair yourself, I bet your RV repairer would be VERY GRATEFUL to see this video and build their own slide repair jigs.

CDN

B and B
I saw this episode as well and was very intrigued with the methods they used. I guess keeping up on sealants is important reminder too after seeing this.