BIG water leak while travelling

Flying Dutchman

Virginia Chapter Leaders - Retired
We just encountered our first problem with our 2900MK and have just returned home. We did not have internet access while camping.

We encountered some heavy rain and thunderstorms enroute to our camping trip, estimate about 2 hours of travel in and out of rain showers. When we set up at campsite, after extending the dinning area slide, about 12 feet of the center carpet area (adjacent to the linoleum flooring) was soaking wet. This is the area that would be directly above the wheels and covered by the retracted slide. When I depressed the carpet with my hand, water pooled up on the surface.

The 5er has been through snow and rain while parked, both with slides extended and slides stowed and no water entry anywhere. The difference now is that while traveling, the wheel water spray from the rain has found an entry path into the coach. I blotted up the excess water with towels, and then kept an electric heater blowing over the carpeting to help dry it out. This took 3 days, and luck be with us the temperatures in York PA were hitting the mid 30's at night, so the heat was welcomed.

I have attached pictures of the offending wheels with the slide extended. I can see a rubber "wiper" that does not extend the full length of the slide. I am not sure, but I believe that this "wiper" when the slide is retracted is the mechanism that should prevent water spray from entering the interior. Since the wiper does not extend the full length of the slide, is this how the water is gaining entrance?

I will contact the dealer first thing in the morning. I surely need this fixed otherwise I own a 5er that is good only for dry travel days. Anyone have the weather forecast for travel to Goshen?

I will update this post as soon as problem is identified and solution is in place.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 165

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Eric, It looks as if the seal that is wrinkled and part missing is the culprit. It is supposed to help seal when the slide is closed. Your dealer should be able to handle that without any problems.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hi Eric,

I agree with Ray. That seal should go all the way across without the big wrinkles. Mine's nice and tight. Hopefully your dealer can get it straightened out easily.

Gus

Flying Dutchman

Thanks Ray and Gus. That is my assumption as well, and I don't expect it to be a major repair. I have a call into our dealer, Chesapeake RV Solutions, but they are closed on Mondays. It is about a 4 hour ride to get to their location so I'm hoping we can arrange a "repair while you wait" if such a thing exists.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hmmm, maybe another short camping trip to Cherrystone while you're in the neighborhood?None

bobolink

Eric, I would like to know the solution, because I have a 2009 3200ES and I have the same problem on the driver's side slide (with the couch and dinette on mine). I've gone through rainstorms 3 times and 3 times my carpet is soaked. My dealer adjusted the slide and screwed down the rubber wipe strip better, but it hasn't worked. They used a power washer to test it, and it didn't leak. So, I'm guessing it's something with the spray from the tires. The wipe strip is attached to the frame with all kinds of "waves". It doesn't sit tight against the frame, so I caulked it. But, it did no good. I'm getting very tired of using the shop vac and fan to dry it out. I'm hoping I have no mold or rotting floor problems. Heartland, if you see this post, please note that I have spoken to Steve Kennel about this, but this has not been resolved.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
I just checked under my slide....The strip does Not extend across the entire slide (its about 36" short) but its not wavey like yours. I have yet to drive in the rain so..... time will tell.

B. Lee

Firecapt422
Eric, last year while traveling in Oregon and Washinton we had the same problem. We found that the wiper strip had folded and was not creating a seal under the slide above the wheels. So, every time we retracted the slideout I would go under the trailer to confirm that the seal was in the proper position. Twice I had to make move the seal with my finger to fix the problem and the trailer stayed dry after that. Also, our rubber seal is not that wavy.

Butch

Flying Dutchman

Here is an update on our "water problem". We just retrieved our 2900MK from our dealer/service department following repairs. First of all I have been assured that the water entry problem did not stem from the rubber "splash guard" that I showed in the pictures I initially posted. There is another rubber "wipe" seal that folds in or out, depending on the slide being extended or retracted. The service guy explained to me that there is also (his words) a "trough" that runs the length of the slide that was not properly sealed. Water was forced passed this "trough", and then the carpeting acted as a wick soaking up the water. The fix according to him (and coordinated with Heartland) was to seal the "trough" with silicone. He assures me that he is 99.9% sure that the problem is now fixed. The only way I will know for sure however is to drive through another rainstorm, in other words, the 'proof is in the pudding'.

Coincidentally I ran across another thread tonight that is in the Sundance-Ask The Factory forum. Do a search on "Water leak while traveling" to find it. This was initially posted in July 2008. Sounds like the exact same problem I (and others) encountered. I am glad to realize that we rarely 'create' new problems, instead we generally get to experience problems that others encountered before us. Anyway, a response to this thread by JMGRATZ perhaps explains the fix better than I have above. JM uses the term "seam", which may better define the area than "trough". If you have encountered this water leak while driving in rain, take it back to your dealer for repairs, or caulk it yourself, provided you can identify the "seam" or "trough". I hope this helps others.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not quite the same problem, but I've noticed on the couple of times we've had our rig out that the seals on the sides of the slides don't fully deploy. So, using the awning rod I kept from our previous TT, I make sure that I go around and pull them out to seal the sides of the slides.

bobolink

Can you see this trough from underneath? Does the slide need to be open or closed to see it? What's the trough made from? Is it the galvanized box above the tires? I need to see an exploded view or something.