Black substance leaking from Bedroom slide

We have a 2018 Big Country 3965dss. We love the camper and only have had few issues with it. We noticed this year for the first time that the big bedroom slide when it is warm outside would leak a brownish black substance on the floor under the front side of the slide. We cannot figure out where it comes from. If you catch it right away,it wipes right up. If it sits on the floor for awhile it is a pain in the butt to wipe up. Has anyone else seen or experience this issue before?

wdk450

I don't have your model rig, but since nobody has chimed in after several hours, I'll try to use some general RV electrical slideout systems knowledge to make an "educated" guess.
First of all, do you know if your slideout mechanism is the electric motor/cables type or the electric motor pump hydraulic ram type?? From the "brownish/black" fluid comment I would guess it ISN'T hydraulic, as the hydraulic fluid used by Lippert/Heartland is common ATF which is red. I am thinking that what you might be seeing is an electric motor lubricant oil for the cable type slideout system which could be leaking due to defective motor seals.

I have the schwintek system on that slide. It appears the brownish black substance drips from the back side of the wood trim. I took a picture of the area that I noticed the spots on the floor.20230507_070352.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have slide toppers on your rig?
Could be that water is pooling somewhere and only drips when it gets warm picking up some color from the wood of your slide trim....could be.
Does the brown stuff have an odor?

Peace
Dave

No we don't have slide toppers on our rig. I have thought about it but have not pulled the trigger on it. The brown stuff has a odor to it but it is hard to describe what it smells like

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you can soak up or collect the liquid on a piece of paper towel, or even just feel the spot on the carpet, rub the spot between your thumb and index finger. If it’s oil based, it should feel slippery. Water based will not be slippery.

But if you can expose the slide drive motor, that would tell you definitely if it’s leaking lubricant. Alternative would be snaking an inspection camera in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk