Black tank and discharge plumbing leaks

Mrz

I have a 2017 BH 3575 Elite that we purchased in 2/17 and have had recurring issues with my black tank. All of the incidents below happened while at a campsite except where noted and I never travel with more than 3-5 gallons of water in my black tank. The good news is Heartland has been excellent in helping me. The bad news is it's happened numerous times.
First problem was a leak between the tank and gate valve Fixed by my dealer by dropping the corroplast and reconnecting the black discharge pipe to the tank. This happened within first month of purchase. I don't have all of the details.
Second problem happened while 2,200 miles from home when I found water gushing from underneath. Road service technician diagnosed this as the discharge pipe (black ABS pipe and valve)came apart from black tank. Fixed at my camp site by dropping the corroplast and reinstalling black pipe into black tank using two worm clamps.
Third problem water leaking from underneath while flushing the toilet. This leak only happened when the tank was almost full. Fixed by dropping the corroplast and replacing the black tank and valve. All parts supplied by Heartland and dealer provided labor, both under warranty.
Fourth problem same as third. Dealer explained to me that when the tank starts getting full, the weight of the water causes the tank to drop and this causes the seal between the black tank fill (3' pipe coming down from the toilet)and black tank to break. This caused water to leak from underneath. Fixed by dropping the corroplast and my dealer added additional support to black tank to prevent it from dropping. (hoping this does not void warranty)
We haven't used our camper since this fix, but it seems like this could be a design flaw. In my opinion I should be able to fill the tank 100% without having any leakage. Has anyone else had this or similar problem? The good news is Heartland and my dealer worked with me and reimbursed me for expenses and provided all of the appropriate parts. But, this experience has left me a skeptical and now I keep looking underneath for dripping water.
;):(;):mad:;):confused:

danemayer

Hi Mrz,

It's frustrating to have repetitive problems. But it sounds to me like the repetitive problems are more about completeness of the repairs, not the design. When the valve leak was fixed on visit #1, it should have stayed fixed. When the tank was replaced, the new tank should have been supported properly during fix #3.

It's possible that the root cause of all the problems could have been a manufacturing error on supporting the tank. If the tank was moving, the connections would be unstable. Should it take 4 visits to figure this out? No.

Mrz

Thank you for the response. I'm still concerned because my dealer mentioned he put 2 2x4's under the tank for support. Logic tells me that would lift the tank off the other factory supports. Any suggestions?

Bill

danemayer

Thank you for the response. I'm still concerned because my dealer mentioned he put 2 2x4's under the tank for support. Logic tells me that would lift the tank off the other factory supports. Any suggestions?

Bill
A lot depends on how the tanks are arranged. On our 2011 Landmark, the black tank is above the gray #1 tank. Yours sounds like it's a different arrangement. There are 2 ways to evaluate: 1) use it and see how it works, 2) take down the coroplast and look at what you've got and how it's all supported.