black tank valve

roy2

hello i have a 2019 bighorn bath and a half i was cleaning my tanks today . my front tank black valve will not open up now. so love to know how i can get to it and were it is. thanks for your help.

danemayer

hello i have a 2019 bighorn bath and a half i was cleaning my tanks today . my front tank black valve will not open up now. so love to know how i can get to it and were it is. thanks for your help.
Hi roy2,

Could you be more expansive in what you mean by "will not open up now". For example, maybe the handle pulls too easily now. Or maybe, the handle won't budge anymore. Or maybe you mean it feels like it's opening, but nothing comes out.

The more fully you can describe the problem, the better the answers will be.

roy2

Hi roy2,

Could you be more expansive in what you mean by "will not open up now". For example, maybe the handle pulls too easily now. Or maybe, the handle won't budge anymore. Or maybe you mean it feels like it's opening, but nothing comes out.

The more fully you can describe the problem, the better the answers will be.
i opened the valve before it opened just fine after i filled it with water again handle opened like it did before this time water dirbbled out of it. handle feels the same as it did before.close the valve now it stops the water comeing out.

danemayer

i opened the valve before it opened just fine after i filled it with water again handle opened like it did before this time water dirbbled out of it. handle feels the same as it did before.close the valve now it stops the water comeing out.

If the handle pull feels the same as before, it may not be a problem with the handle or valve. It's possible something is obstructing the flow through the gate valve. It's possible to get a large wad of TP and solids blocking the valve. If so, you may need to back flush to move it away from the valve opening. But you don't want to overfill the tank while back flushing.

You can find more info on holding tanks in our Water Systems Guide, starting on page 17.

SLO

If the handle pull feels the same as before, it may not be a problem with the handle or valve. It's possible something is obstructing the flow through the gate valve. It's possible to get a large wad of TP and solids blocking the valve. If so, you may need to back flush to move it away from the valve opening. But you don't want to overfill the tank while back flushing.

You can find more info on holding tanks in our Water Systems Guide, starting on page 17.

It sound like, according to your description, Dan is right in his diagnosis. To back flush the line without getting s*** all over the ground I’d use something like the link below. Close all tank gate valves, including the Flush King, except for the plugged black tank valve. Hook up a hose to the Flush King hose fitting. Turn on the hose and the pressure should force the plug back up into the black tank. Turn off the hose and, hopefully, the tank will start draining. If it does, the material which caused the plug is not just instantly broken apart. Use your black tank flush and maybe some chemicals to break up the stuff that caused the plug. Flush ,many , many times. If you don’t, this thing will come back to haunt you.

https://www.campingworld.com/flush-king-20522.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

roy2

It sound like, according to your description, Dan is right in his diagnosis. To back flush the line without getting s*** all over the ground I’d use something like the link below. Close all tank gate valves, including the Flush King, except for the plugged black tank valve. Hook up a hose to the Flush King hose fitting. Turn on the hose and the pressure should force the plug back up into the black tank. Turn off the hose and, hopefully, the tank will start draining. If it does, the material which caused the plug is not just instantly broken apart. Use your black tank flush and maybe some chemicals to break up the stuff that caused the plug. Flush ,many , many times. If you don’t, this thing will come back to haunt you.

https://www.campingworld.com/flush-king-20522.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ok i put a couple of buckets of water down the toilet 4 or 5 of them this time, then i ran the flush system again for a couple of minutes. it worked started to drain thank you thank you.i dont use tp in my toilets here dont know how it got pluged up any way its open again. the front toilet i always pore a couple of buckets of water down there it has a long pipe going down to that tank. thanks everyone

danemayer

ok i put a couple of buckets of water down the toilet 4 or 5 of them this time, then i ran the flush system again for a couple of minutes. it worked started to drain thank you thank you.i dont use tp in my toilets here dont know how it got pluged up any way its open again. the front toilet i always pore a couple of buckets of water down there it has a long pipe going down to that tank. thanks everyone

You can get clogs and a poop pile in the tank if there's a slow leak at the black tank outlet valve. Usually this shows up as brown water on your shoes when you uncap the sewer outlet to hook up the sewer hose. But if you're in one place for a while, you may not notice.

If you have a twist on clear adapter with blade valve hanging on the sewer outlet, you can close your tank valves, close the clear adapter valve, and see how much water accumulates in a day or two. Here's one. This one is a bit pricey, so you may want to shop around. Also, you can buy the clear adapter and the twist on blade valve as separate devices, probably for less total.

roy2

You can get clogs and a poop pile in the tank if there's a slow leak at the black tank outlet valve. Usually this shows up as brown water on your shoes when you uncap the sewer outlet to hook up the sewer hose. But if you're in one place for a while, you may not notice.

If you have a twist on clear adapter with blade valve hanging on the sewer outlet, you can close your tank valves, close the clear adapter valve, and see how much water accumulates in a day or two. Here's one. This one is a bit pricey, so you may want to shop around. Also, you can buy the clear adapter and the twist on blade valve as separate devices, probably for less total.
i will get one of those valves and try that to see if there leaking.were staying put for the winter now.