Black Water Rinse Valve Issue

LizCyran

I own a 2015 North Trail camper. Rarely use the black water rinse system. However, used it just this week to find that water ran down inside the skin of the camper and came out the bumper area. There was no issue this water inside the camper or on the floors. Someone told me it was the black tank rinse vacuum breaker, and then reading on these forums there is some info that there is no way to access these breakers. I can order a breaker valve, not the issue, and the cost is minimal, but will my camper guy be able to change it out, and is that the issue? Then I also read that people were saying 'did you winterize that system' and my question is - WHY? That system seems to be just a short something that goes to the black water tank and should be self draining, and since I rarely use it - still wondering WHY? Is it the breaker? or is it something else? And how the heck would you winterize that? You can't pour antifreeze down that - you have to connect a hose?

danemayer

Hi LizCyran,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry you're having this problem.

It likely is the vacuum breaker, also known as an Anti-Siphon Valve. They're supposed to be mounted above the level of the toilet, which usually puts them somewhere behind the shower. On larger rigs, a round access port allows you to get to the shower water line connections and the vacuum breaker. But if you don't have that, an access port may have to be added. The trick is to cut the hole in the right place the first time. Adding the access port shouldn't be difficult or time consuming, and once you have access to the vacuum breaker, that's a very quick replacement.

Here's what it looks like from the back side on a larger rig. And here's what an access port looks like.
BH Black Tank Flush Anti Siphon Annotated.jpg
shower access panel.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I can't identify where your vacuum breaker is located but normally they can be accessed somewhere. Maybe behind a panel or even behind the medicine cabinet. Do you have an access port in your shower? Look there.
I guess you will need to follow the blue PEX lines.
The blue PEX lines attach to the vacuum breaker with fittings. They could be loose.
And an air compressor will blow out the water from the lines for winterizing.
Look around, you will find that vacuum breaker.

Peace
Dave

Bobby A

In regards to winterizing the black tank flush valve, what I do is remove the screen on the check valve on the flusher on the outside of the rig and put my finger on the middle pin to release/drain any water that may be in the flusher line. Not sure if this is the correct way but it seems to work, I would like input on this method.

Bobby A

danemayer

While I agree the black tank flush lines and anti-siphon valve should drain automatically, I'm not sure they do. I've wondered if freezes might account for the frequency of leaks that I've read about over the years.

When I used compressed air to winterize (in central Texas), I included the black tank flush in that routine. Now I use antifreeze (Colorado), and pump some through the black tank flush using the outside shower hose.