Black water tank not draining fully? Now I know why.

ParkIt

DH isn't very savvy on dumping the tanks but this is his first unit so I'll give him a break on that. What I have noticed is once the unit has been moved there is more waiting at the cap from the black water tank once its parked. The sensor shows its empty before leaving and this wasn't making sense to me even though DH says its reading empty.

Couple of days ago I dug out my old "blaster", not sure what they are called now but its a 4' long half inch diameter hose with a brass tip and 5 smaller holes at the end. You can hook it up to a regular hose or your tap, there is an adapter for it. Once you turn on the water there is a small lever you twist to "open" it and the spray is at a high velocity through the tips at the end, you can snake it down to the outlet if you want without damaging anything.

After hooking it up to a garden hose and leaving the black tank open with a bucket under it, I ran about a gallon of water down the tank then turned it off and ran around to see what was coming out...more stuff from the tank and not clear water. I waited and noticed the tank seemed to empty in waves so to speak, it would run, then just about stop then another batch would come out. Hmmm, something is clogging up along the line (and the unit is level) so I closed it off, went back inside and used my blaster listening and feeling how and where it was in the tank and line. There is a bend at one point about half way between the toilet and tank, I think that is where it tends to slow down when dumping then releases so you may think your tank is empty and it will read that way when there may be more which dislodges and you end up with black water at the cap.

I did this a few times with the same result: empty nicely, slow to a trickle and seem done, then wait and it will dump more until fully empty.
After a good blasting with the wand hose it now empties much smoother though there still seems to be that "slow" point when draining the tank so when you dump the black water, close it off, run some water in the toilet, open it again until you see the clear water. By that time it will be fully emptied and "clean", you can close the valve and know there isn't something that is going to be stuck anywhere between the toilet and valve.

Since I'm a bit "old school" I always make sure there is at least 1-2 gallons of just fresh water in the black holding tank at all times (except during freezing temperatures of course). It keeps bits of paper and stuff from sticking to the pipes and tank and you won't end up with a nasty surprise when you pull the cap to unhook after dumping all the tanks. Always make sure to dump the black water tank then your gray after, it also will keep the valve clean and closing properly. If you have a five gallon bucket, fill it with hot water and run that every 4th or 5th time after dumping the tanks, it really keeps them clean and nasty surprise free.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When I dump and do my flush routine, I add 5 - 7 gallons of water via the flusher. Then dump a two gallon bucket of water with a cup of Calgon mixed in. You're right, expect trouble if you start using the tank without water in it.

ParkIt

The stuff I use is called "Citrus Clean", picked it up at HD. It's a concentrate so I dump about 3 cups in and let it sit...when I see bubbles I know we are getting to the "clean" part. The reason I like it is the smell (yea, we all know that one) and it doesn't damage the sensor, pipes or tank. Once a year I fill it all the way to where I can just about see the water, put some of that in, let it sit for a day when its warm and then dump it.
Its one of those "stand back" type cleanings ;)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
It will take 4-5 times of using the tank flush to get the tank clean. I always put 4-5 gallons of water in the tank and Dawn soap. We never seem to have a build up of solids in the tank. I would suggest a Valtera gate valve be installed on the main drain pipe. That way you wont get a surprise when you remove the cap to drain. TP can sometimes keep a valve open.

ParkIt

The proper name for your blaster, is called a go-devil.
I've had it since 1996 and just never looked to see if they were still on the market. Good to know since its sprung a small leak and I want to replace it, nothing gets a tank really clean without damage like those 'devils'. Thanks for the market name :)

Is there any reason NOT to use hot water to flush the black tank?

Only if its cold. I could crack on the pipe and tank.

I would suggest a Valtera gate valve be installed on the main drain pipe. That way you wont get a surprise when you remove the cap to drain. TP can sometimes keep a valve open.

I'll check into that but if you keep it cleaned out and run the gray water after you usually don't develop any sticky paper. 9 years of renting then owning RV's I learned how to keep it working before they developed all the nifty aftermarkets.
That and I'm cheap. Not thrifty, cheap! lol

Sumo

I have been using the Black Tank flusher to keep my tank clean. At least I thought I was keeping it clean.

ParkIt

I have been using the Black Tank flusher to keep my tank clean. At least I thought I was keeping it clean.
Is it a 'reverse' flusher?
Since I've never used one I don't know how far up the tank they go. I like to start at the top (commode) and work down to keep it completely clear since paper in particular will stick to the down pipe so fill the tank with soapy water on a warm day then flush it out completely. Don't use a garden hose down the commode! It can damage a couple of parts to the tank. Dry, warm weather will allow paper and bits to stick to the pipes and tank even though you are using it.

Sumo

Nope, I'm using the Black Tank Flusher installed stock on the 5th wheel. Next time out, I'll dump, fill 1/2 full of soapy water. Than let it slosh around for the 250 miles trip home.

MdMike

Water, Water, Water! I always fill my tank completely before I dump. If at a sight with water/sewer, I fill it again and dump, then use the built in spray flush on the black tank. I add the drop in packets of citrus smelling tank treatment from walmart when we first arrive and set up, along with about 5 gal of water.

For those that like to drop a wand or spray device in the top of the toilet to spray the tanks you can easily make your own. I did years ago for an old Travel Trailer we had.

3' of PVC Pipe (1/2")
a PVC Blind cap (1/2")
A PVC on/off valve (1/2")
A PVC to 5/8 threaded adapter

Glue everything together and let it sit over night.
take a 1/8" drill bit and drill 8-10 holes at varying angles thru the blind cap.

Hook it up and just twirl it around in the tank. Mine always worked like a champ!

HappyKayakers

After hooking it up to a garden hose and leaving the black tank open with a bucket under it, I ran about a gallon of water down the tank then turned it off and ran around to see what was coming out...more stuff from the tank and not clear water. I waited and noticed the tank seemed to empty in waves so to speak, it would run, then just about stop then another batch would come out. Hmmm, something is clogging up along the line (and the unit is level) so I closed it off, went back inside and used my blaster listening and feeling how and where it was in the tank and line. There is a bend at one point about half way between the toilet and tank, I think that is where it tends to slow down when dumping then releases so you may think your tank is empty and it will read that way when there may be more which dislodges and you end up with black water at the cap.

I have a different theory based on observation using a clear elbow at the sewer connection. Whether the pipe from the toilet to the tank is straight through or has a bend doesn't really matter. What you're seeing is the result of not enough water in the tank to push a glob of TP through the valve opening. So, it sits there until enough little pieces of it break free or another big surge of water pushes it through. I think this is also the cause of many slow leaking dump valves. People think the tank is empty and close the valve, right on a wad of TP, so it doesn't close completely and some of the TP may harden and remain in the blade slot.

ParkIt

This would be why I use a flash light and work the valve a few times though it would be nice to get a clear elbow...sometimes its so routine I skip over the new stuff like that but maybe its time to cut down on the guess work.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This would be why I use a flash light and work the valve a few times though it would be nice to get a clear elbow...sometimes its so routine I skip over the new stuff like that but maybe its time to cut down on the guess work.

I hope you're not looking up the pipe with that flashlight while working the valve. The train be a coming and you is standing on the track.

Garypowell

One trick we use is the last morning in the RV before it goes into storage after we hook up I pull the unit up onto 2 - 3 yellow block on the door side and then flush and clean the tank in that position. I think the angle help that final cleaning.