Black Water Tank Problem!

Eddhuy

I was having a problem with a leak when back flushing the black water tank in 2013 and took it to La Mesa RV in Davis where I purchased it. I took it in on 9/18/2013 and they had it for a few months. I was also in the process of moving and when picking it up I checked the other repairs but not the black water flush leak, that is on me. I took it to the new property and parked it for over a year. After using it not long ago we noticed a lot of sewage smell that we never had before. I installed a cyclone vent on the black water tank air vent. It helped but it still persisted. I then flushed the black water tank to notice that is still leaked. Not good so I decided to take a look now that we are out of warranty and it has been over a year since we got it from La Mesa.

I found both metal straps hanging loose by one end and the tank pulled off the air vent and the tank rolled in and slightly collapsed. The vent pipe broke the area on the tank where it connects(indicated by jagged edges where it would have connected) and the hole faces to the rear instead of up.

I have no idea when or how this could have happened but am looking for advice. It looks like a new tank is needed to me.

Trying to upload photos but no luck yet. Will post them if I can get them to upload.

danemayer

Hi Eddhuy,

I'm not sure how to fix it, but it might be worth discussing the problem with management at La Mesa RV. If they worked on it a year ago, given your circumstances, they might agree to make it right. Even if they decline, the cost of a phone call is pretty low.

Eddhuy

Good idea, I plan on doing that, I just saw the problem today but am certain they did not even look at the problem let alone fix it. I still have the paper work from their service.

Eddhuy

After the straps broke the tank fell a few inches, right now there is not much holding it in place. My guess off hand is that after the straps broke; then the air vent broke loose. The tank is not broken with jagged edges, it just looked that way. I am thinking if I can remove the tank, I might be able to get the collapsed portion pulled out and reattach the straps and air vent. If I can, that will fix it, I'll know more by tomorrow.

My question is: why did the straps come loose in the first place? There appears to be 2 sheet metal screws still in the frame where they should attach but only one metal strap has a hole in it??

Still not able to get the pictures to upload.

danemayer

Straps are loose and allow the tank to expand. Although I haven't looked at my black tank supports, the gray #1 supports are angle iron running across the frame; one in front of the tank and one in back. I'd check to see if those supports are in place. One of my gray tank supports sheared the mounting screws on one side, allowing some movement.

phix

We just replaced our #1 grey that had a tiny leak at the top. Patched it first but to no avail. We ordered directly from Heartland, usually our best price. Only thing is they drilled the holes in the wrong location so we plugged them and drilled them correctly.

Before doing this ourselves we got an estimate from our local RV service center. They said that when they fix a tank, they add bracing because Heartland does not provide enough. Sure enough. The brace provided had holes for 4 screws but only 2 of them were being used. Of the remaining 2, the head on 1 had rusted off! We added bracing......

While making the repair hubby noticed that a pipe on the black tank was coming out of its fitting, so he repaired that also. Gone now is the bad smell that sometimes existed in the bedroom. Note that we also have those gizmos on the roof to pull gases from the tank. They did not fix the problem with odor because the lose fitting was the problem.

BTW, this problem may have occurred once when we overfilled the tank while rinsing it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk