Black water tank won't flush.

Tomnbeth

When I pull the handle on the black water tank it will not drain. I have tried the back flush method to see if it is clogged but that didn't work. There was only clean water coming back into the drain hose suggesting the valve is closed. is there anyway to open the valve manually?

danemayer

Hi Tomnbeth,

If the handle pulls more easily than normal, it's possible the cable came loose from the valve's plunger. If you drop the coroplast, at least in the corner closest, or cut a 3-sided rectangle to gain access (front edge intact), you can check the cable connection to the plunger. If the plunger isn't moving, you could perhaps help it with a pair of pliers.

But it's much more likely you just have a difficult blockage. If you have an external twist-on gate valve for the sewer outlet, and a clear backflush adapter, you can force a water buildup that will clear the blockage. If you have only the backflush adapter hooked up to the sewer outlet, you might try back flushing while holding the sewer hose high overhead. The water pressure it takes to fill the lifted hose may be enough to dislodge a blockage. Take care not to overfill the black tank.

And be prepared for when the blockage breaks free. Unless your wife is shooting video. :rolleyes:

RoadJunkie

Was your rig connected to the land sewer hookup? Sometimes the valve leaks fluid because it was not fully closed. Without fluids, only solids remain and would not move through when attempting to flush. You should be able to feel if the valve is moving when you move the handle in and out. I would suggest very carefully using your tank flush to see if water will come through when the valve is open. Don't let it over flow into the bathroom, station someone to watch this area.

Tomnbeth

Hi Tomnbeth,

If the handle pulls more easily than normal, it's possible the cable came loose from the valve's plunger. If you drop the coroplast, at least in the corner closest, or cut a 3-sided rectangle to gain access (front edge intact), you can check the cable connection to the plunger. If the plunger isn't moving, you could perhaps help it with a pair of pliers.

But it's much more likely you just have a difficult blockage. If you have an external twist-on gate valve for the sewer outlet, and a clear backflush adapter, you can force a water buildup that will clear the blockage. If you have only the backflush adapter hooked up to the sewer outlet, you might try back flushing while holding the sewer hose high overhead. The water pressure it takes to fill the lifted hose may be enough to dislodge a blockage. Take care not to overfill the black tank.

And be prepared for when the blockage breaks free. Unless your wife is shooting video. :rolleyes:

Thanks Dan, I'll drop the coreplaast and check the valve first before trying the back flush again. I don't want to overflow the tank because it was ready for dumping.