Black water tank

Mikemec51

I'm out with my trailer for the weekend. Tried to empty my black water tank and it will not drain. The valve seems to work but there's no draining out of the tank. My gauge shows 3/4 full. Anybody have any ideas on how to solve my problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
First, the gauges are notorious for being wrong. It's possible you have a jam up of sewer trout and TP at the valve that's blocking the flow. Get a clear backflush adapter for the sewer outlet and run water back up the pipe to clear it. Also possible the cutout for the tank plumbing has migrated to the opening and is blocking it. Back flushing will push it back and out of the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnDar

Was water flowing into the tank via the back flush? Do you also have a twist on valve on that adapter? If you do and it's closed and no water will flow back into the tank, then the gate valve at the tank is not opening, even though you can pull/push the handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mikemec51

Thanks John. I think I got it figured out. I went and checked the tank a little closure after you mentioned the sensors are sometimes the problem. Guess what. I drop the sanitizer packet in the toilet and when it hit it hit bottom, plastic bottom. I had a P-trap so to speak coming out of my RV before it goes onto the bridge to the sewer dump. And sure enough my P-trap was full of water again. So my problem is with the sensors. I used the Cameco dual pro dual back flush and didn't leave it on long enough apparently. I got nervous it would back up and cause more problems. I guess I just need to leave it on longer and let it just fill a tank up to do the flushing. Still kind of new with this game. Thank you so much for the input.

danemayer

I used the Cameco dual pro dual back flush and didn't leave it on long enough apparently. I got nervous it would back up and cause more problems. I guess I just need to leave it on longer and let it just fill a tank up to do the flushing.

If you assume 5 gallons per minute of water flow, and you know the size of the black tank, you can run the timer on your phone for a safe length of time while adding water through the black tank flush. On our 45 gallon black tank, after dumping the tank, I'll close the outlet twist-on gate valve and run the black tank flush for 6 minutes. Then I dump it a 2nd time. And a third time really cleans the tank.

Use the timer and don't walk away or get into conversations while using the black tank flush.

JohnDar

You can also purchase a water meter to tell you how many gallons you're putting into the tank. It can be an inexpensive battery operated one that you use occasionally, or a somewhat more expensive flow meter like I have, that's on my system all the time. With my meter, I can monitor how many gallons have flowed through my filter system, as well.

Simplest way is to take a bucket of known volume, say 5 gallons, and fill it from your water source while timing it. Then you'll have a pretty good idea of how many gallons per minute you are putting into the tank. Helpful to know if you're using the tank flush system to put water back in after dumping, too. Different campgrounds may have different pressures and flow rates, too.

But, as Dan said, never, repeat never, walk away while you're running water into the tank. It can be a nasty wake up call. Fortunately, I've not experienced that, only a mess (clean water) when the tank flush anti-siphon valve blew inside a wall.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If your black and gray drains come together like this:

ProwlerDrainCap-P3290012.jpg

Then you can use the force of the gray tank to back flush into the black tank to loosen stuff up.

I do it all the time and I've never had any black tank issues.

Mikemec51

Thank you guys for all the great ideas. I'm just glad to be a part of this group.

avvidclif

If you assume 5 gallons per minute of water flow, and you know the size of the black tank, you can run the timer on your phone for a safe length of time while adding water through the black tank flush. On our 45 gallon black tank, after dumping the tank, I'll close the outlet twist-on gate valve and run the black tank flush for 6 minutes. Then I dump it a 2nd time. And a third time really cleans the tank.

Use the timer and don't walk away or get into conversations while using the black tank flush.

The problem with timing it is "It doesn't work that way" You can measure out 5 gal into a bucket with your hose and time it but the tank rinse setup has a very restricted opening. I use a flow gauge and with the restriction in the spray head it will only flow 2 gpm. To add 30 gal takes abt 15 min.

Here's the gauge, cheap enough there is no excuse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EOC5M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

LBR

The problem with timing it is "It doesn't work that way" You can measure out 5 gal into a bucket with your hose and time it but the tank rinse setup has a very restricted opening. I use a flow gauge and with the restriction in the spray head it will only flow 2 gpm. To add 30 gal takes abt 15 min.

Here's the gauge, cheap enough there is no excuse.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058EOC5M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Same one I have. Left it on thefresh water inlet and works great....our CY was advertised with 100 gallon fresh tanks...drained them completely and added 94.8 gallons to when all 4 vents started draining... $17 at Amazon...am going to get another one soon to leave on the black flush fitting.

rblack22

Why not pour solvent down the crapper followed by about 10 gallons of water and drive around town for 20 minutes then drain it and pour 10 gallons of fresh water in the crapper again the flush residual solvent? Works for me, no muss no fuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relayman

I'm out with my trailer for the weekend. Tried to empty my black water tank and it will not drain. The valve seems to work but there's no draining out of the tank. My gauge shows 3/4 full. Anybody have any ideas on how to solve my problem?

did you figure the issue out ?
Try opening your valve, then run your tank rinse system and see if water flows. Next I would get a back wash fitting and try and back wash from the discharge outlet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk