Brake & Axle Upgrades

Fox

I'm reasonable sure that sometime down the road I will swap over to hydraulic disc brakes but I'm debating on if I should also upgrade my 7K axles for 8K ones. Peace of mind says yes but I also believe the design engineers know better than I as to what is REALLY needed.

Also ... if I went with 8K axles would I need new wheels - and subsequently new rubber as well?

And that also leads me to should I also upgrade the suspension?

mlpeloquin

The disk breaks are a must. Heavier axles will be stiffer and should help them from bending with pot holes. I have had to get ours aligned twice after cross country trip, 9k miles. This last time one was out over a quarter inch and the other just under a quarter inch. Your wheels should be fine.

grambini

We opted to put the MorRyde IS under our new Landmark Newport. we also added the disk brakes. the first set of rail road tracks we went over I couldn't feel the trailer go over them. Figured this upgrade would save from beating up the coach from the rough roads plus the added stopping power of the disk brakes.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just remember that there are different actuators out there. Morryde uses a different actuator than Performance Trailer Braking does. PTBs actuator is faster than the other actuator. Giving you a full 1/2 second faster reaction time. iS is great, but PTBs Disc Brakes are the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Abear79

Just remember that there are different actuators out there. Morryde uses a different actuator than Performance Trailer Braking does. PTBs actuator is faster than the other actuator. Giving you a full 1/2 second faster reaction time. iS is great, but PTBs Disc Brakes are the way to go.

What is the price difference between the PTBs and MORryde disc brakes. I priced the IS With and without disc brakes upgrade and it was around 2k. I want to upgrade before next summer. Just wondering

Gary521

What is the price difference between the PTBs and MORryde disc brakes. I priced the IS With and without disc brakes upgrade and it was around 2k. I want to upgrade before next summer. Just wondering
There is no difference MorRyde uses Kodiak brakes - Performance uses Kodiak brakes. Dexter bought both Kodiak and Titan and I believe that the Titan name has gone away from the disk brakes. They still may market the Titan actuator. Prior to Dexter's purchase separate marketing but both brakes ( Titan and Kodiak ) were identical. I think Performance uses the Titan Actuator, MorRyde uses a different actuator

jimpav

IS is great, if you can afford it, but if you can't, do a welding upgrade to your spring hanger mounting points. I already broke one on a previous trailer. PTB is giving a discount at the upcoming National rally

2psnapod2

There is no difference MorRyde uses Kodiak brakes - Performance uses Kodiak brakes. Dexter bought both Kodiak and Titan and I believe that the Titan name has gone away from the disk brakes. They still may market the Titan actuator. Prior to Dexter's purchase separate marketing but both brakes ( Titan and Kodiak ) were identical. I think Performance uses the Titan Actuator, MorRyde uses a different actuator
Gary521 Is correct on his statement. PTB does still have some of the Titan kits, as Dexter has not quite exhausted their inventory. But the Titan and Kodiak kits are in all, the same. PTB just use the Brakerite Actuator that Titan sold to Dexter, that is better than even the original Dexter Actuaror.

Gary521

Re: Brake & Axle Upgrades

Someone pointed out that the Brakerite actuator is a bit faster than the others. This is supposedly the case but I have not tried anything else so I cannot say from my own experience. However, that is the reason that I bought this model and it is easy to place in tight spaces. Yes, there is a slight delay but it is very short.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwdennis

What does it cost to upgrade to disc brakes ? i have a triple axels , who does it ? do you need to also change out the brake controler ? thanks !

2psnapod2

My wife and I run Performance Trailer Braking. For answers to your question, give me a call. 405-626-7009.

Gary521

Obviously, it depends upon if you do the work or someone else. For a triple axle, I would guess around $2000 if you do the work yourself. It is not difficult just a little time consuming.

2psnapod2

Parts for a triple axle set up start at $2150 to $2900, depending on your axle size. To have them installed, your looking at $1200. Attend a rally and you can save a little.

rwdennis

Re: Brake & Axle Upgrades

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for answering ! i will have 3 -7k axles , i had discs on a pontoon boat trailer i had , worked great .

2psnapod2

A triple axle for 7k axles is $2650 plus $1100 for installation at the rally.

'Lil Guy'

When I ordered my 3270RS Big Horn, I opted for the 8K axels which come with larger brakes. Just peace of mind and a cheap upgrade when ordering your rig.