Brake controller settings

jjwink

We recently added disc brakes and IS at MORryde to our 2017 365 Syracuse, Trail-Air hitch. I have a 2015 GMC 3500 DRW truck with built in controller. What setting are recommended for the controller? I have tried several and find my fiver is bucking when I apply the brakes. I was told to drive unit to a gravel road, drive forward and then brake, changing to a level where unit slides then lower setting one number.

gregw

I have been running my 2016 3500 CC 4x4 DRW at 8-9. Seems to do ok around that point. No gravel roads in my area to try that out on at least none we would survive. There is a lag in applying the brake and then the trailer brakes picking up. The 8-9 setting lets me feel the trailer brakes are working. We have not been in a situation where we have had to hit them hard yet. If that happens depending on the situation we might back off slightly.

Gary521

When you are trying to learn the correct setting, use the manual lever on the controller not the brake pedal.

Garypowell

Just to be safe here did they add the aux controller you need so your 2015 can actually communicate with the pump.

I ask ask this for two reasons:

1. I have a 2015 and their built in controller WILL NOT directly work with the pump they put in.....had mine done last year at the same place.

2. And when I returned to pick up the trailer I could not find that converter and asked them where they put it. They looked at me and said, "this truck needs a converter?"

Good folks and love the IS and disk brakes.....and great install but they did not know my truck needed a converter.

Best

Lynn1130

Most instructions say to set the controller about mid-way. Drive a street where you will have minimum traffic and go 25 MPH. Apply the brakes using the hand control on your truck. If the brakes on the trailer lock up back it off and try again until you find the spot where they no longer lock. If they do not lock up go up in setting until they do and then back it down until the don't.

hoefler

Did you get the brake module for the brake pump?? GM and Ford require one to get proper operation from the intergrated controller.

Lynn1130

My 2014 would not work the trailer disc brakes at all without the controller module so I don't know about the bucking with the 2015.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
GM needs it, not Ford

Correct, my 2017 F350 had a setting for Electric Over Hydraulic. Had my brakes installed yesterday. Took a test drive and found 7 to be my optimum setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Correct, my 2017 F350 had a setting for Electric Over Hydraulic. Had my brakes installed yesterday. Took a test drive and found 7 to be my optimum setting.

Have the same brake set up on my '12 SD. Installed the performance kit myself in April. Running at 6.5. Plenty of stopping power.

hoefler

My 2011 F-350 did not need it.

[FONT=&quot]Factory-installed, in-cab brake controllers on 2006.5 - 2012 Ford and 2006.5 - current Chevy trucks and SUVs are designed for use with electric trailer brakes. This adapter allows the electric-over-hydraulic BrakeRite EHB actuating system to properly communicate with the controller while also regulating the amperage to an appropriate level.[/FONT]

[h=2]4846000 Titan BrakeRite EHB Ford/Chevy Brake Controller Adapter[/h]
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Titan/T4846000.html

I have a 2011 F-350 and I do not need it.
I just go to the Electric over Hydraulic setting on Factory Controller.
I'm using the Hydra Star (formerly Carlisle) Hydraulic Brake Actuator which works great.
This is the same Actuater MORRyde uses.

Hockster

gasman

Camp Socializer
Factory-installed, in-cab brake controllers on 2006.5 - 2012 Ford and 2006.5 - current Chevy trucks and SUVs are designed for use with electric trailer brakes. This adapter allows the electric-over-hydraulic BrakeRite EHB actuating system to properly communicate with the controller while also regulating the amperage to an appropriate level.

4846000 Titan BrakeRite EHB Ford/Chevy Brake Controller Adapter

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Titan/T4846000.html

Please don't tell my truck that it won't work. It is doing great without the adapter.