Brake issue?

KirkJoe64

2019 Heartland Torque 351
2022 Ram 3500 diesel

When I connect to my RV I do what I call a pull test, where I tug on the king pin with the trailer brake controller engaged to ensure the kingpin is completely latch to the fifth wheel. When I do this the camper moves forward meaning the brakes are not engaged but when I am moving I can activate my trailer brake controller in the truck and the brakes to work , they are just not engaging when I’m sitting still using the trailer brake controller. Do I have something wrong with my brakes or is this normal?

CoveredWagon

With electric trailer brakes you have to be moving to activate the braking mechanism. With disc trailer brakes (electric over hydraulic) you don't.

I agree 100% with Dave.
With Drum style brakes you have electric magnetic’s that are activated when you use the brake controller or the brake pedal.
When you activate the brake controller or brake pedal, the magnets are activated and in turn are magnetically attached to a steel disc, the magnet arm then pushes the brake shoes against the brake drum.
Lots of slippage between the magnetic and plate.
This is really not a very positive stopping system.
This a rather simple explanation.
If you can afford the cost, Disc Brakes are the number 1 upgrade you can do for your 5er, and for your piece of mind.
You will stop at least 50% faster with disc brakes.
No more White knuckles and praying that you stop in time.
I really don’t understand why disc are not made mandatory for all travel trailers/5th wheel trailers, like cars and pickups.

Hockster

carl.swoyer

I have electric breaks on my Landmark. All I have to do is slide the manual break switch to to left and my trailer breaks are engaged.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Bogie

If you put chock blocks under the wheels, you won't need to apply the brakes to do a pull test. It's always a good idea to have the wheels chocked anyway in case the trailer is not locked in and pops out of the hitch. Don't want that baby rolling off somewhere on it's own.

Also, once moving, tap the brake controller to insure the brakes are working properly.

hoefler

Depending how long you have been sitting in one spot or the climate, you will have some surface rust on the drums. If you have very much, you will have to burn/wear it off before you will get very much braking.