Brand New

bobchar

We have never had an RV.

Tusday we are picking up a 2012 prowler 14p Lynx.

The dealer will walk us through the systems. What should we know before we drive away? It comes with a coupon for stuff not included that we should have. Any sugestions on what is most important?
TIA,
Bob

pegmikef

Everything is important! Here are some off the top of my head, but I am sure some of the pros will add to this.

1) Operate all of the appliances and electrical items and make sure they all work correctly. This includes A/C, furnace, hot water heater (on both gas and electricity), fridge (on both gas and electricity) microwave, stove, oven, tv if present, sound system, awning (manual or electric), jacks if electric, lights inside and out, and anything else it might have that performs a function.

2) Make sure the slide(s) operate correctly (in and out) and learn how to manually move the slide (where is the crank and the access).

3) Check all plumbing for leaks and function (run water from all faucets).

4) Check the obvious for workmanship (appearance and condition such as tears or peeling)

5) Check tires, have them explain pressure, lug torque, bearings, etc.

6) Make sure battery is secured.

7) Have them explain propane valve operation and point out all propane devices and outlet valves.

And of course, the overall appearance and condition of the rig.

I am sure others will add to this list.

wdk450

Hi BobChar:
Welcome!!!

I searched the forum and found this Pre-Delivery List to go through with the dealer BEFORE signing the final papers. This will take hours, but be worth it. Stick to your guns and DEMAND that every item is done. If you can, either live on the dealer's lot or at the nearest campground the next couple of days, recording all of the discrepancies you find.
Here is the link: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/5322-Pre-Delivery-Inspection?highlight=pdi

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Congratulations and good luck. You might want to take notes and or pictures during your pdi to remind you of the things you don't remember.

The forum is here to help too if/when you need help.

Kristy

rjr6150

Hi BobChar
Welcome to the HL family. You may want to check out the owners club. We have an active and fun chapter here in CO.

Noobie

Hi BobChar:
Welcome!!!

I searched the forum and found this Pre-Delivery List to go through with the dealer BEFORE signing the final papers. This will take hours, but be worth it. Stick to your guns and DEMAND that every item is done. If you can, either live on the dealer's lot or at the nearest campground the next couple of days, recording all of the discrepancies you find.
Here is the link: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/5322-Pre-Delivery-Inspection?highlight=pdi

Thanks for that link I saved it for my upcoming purchase

bobchar

Thanks all. One of the sales "features" is that it is already winterized. I do not know what winterizing and "summerizing" might entails but it clearly seems to make a test of the plumbing impossible. What are the pros or cons of leaving it winterized.

I am not sure if it shows somewhere in my post so let me say we live outside of Denver at about 8500 feet. Our initial thought was to go on one, two or three day trips for now and forgo the plumbing. Perhaps that is really a stupid idea? While it is parked at home will shore power keep things from freezing.

danemayer

Thanks all. One of the sales "features" is that it is already winterized. I do not know what winterizing and "summerizing" might entails but it clearly seems to make a test of the plumbing impossible. What are the pros or cons of leaving it winterized.

I am not sure if it shows somewhere in my post so let me say we live outside of Denver at about 8500 feet. Our initial thought was to go on one, two or three day trips for now and forgo the plumbing. Perhaps that is really a stupid idea? While it is parked at home will shore power keep things from freezing.

IF the trailer is fully winterized, and there is no water anywhere in the trailer, and there is RV antifreeze in the traps, you shouldn't even need shore power - there's nothing to freeze.

As to trips without using the plumbing, if you're not going to use any part of the plumbing, including sinks and toilet, you should be ok. Might be a bit primitive, but if you're up for it, why not?

Just keep in mind that your warranty clock starts when you buy the unit, not when you start using it. You might end up running out 1/2 your warranty before you go camping.

lorax

Welcome to the Heartland Family. We joined last November. We camp from January to May but wanted to test our new Prowler before we headed to Tucson. We found a year round campground. We emptied the antifreeze, filled the fresh water tank as their city water was off in Foxboro, MA. We camped for a few cold days but got to run through all the systems before we put the trailer away for the winter. Before we left the campground we re-winterized the trailer and made our way home.

Good luck with your trailer and travel safely.
Ted

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Again, TIA for any replys. Also what are the features of the owers club?

Bob

1st. you can attend as many chapter rallies as you want for free, anywhere in North America. These are a blast. You will meet fantastic people, exchange stories, eat way to much home cooked food, have a few beers and sometimes some of us marinate ice cubes in our favorite adult beverage and enjoy them around a camp fire. The only thing you are responsible for are your camping ground fees. Check out the list of past and planned rallies on the right-hand side of the portal page.

2nd. You will receive advanced notice and special pricing for the national rally. These are held annually. Every odd year is held in Goshen IN and even years held someplace else. This year it was in Gillette WY.

3rd. You will have access to places on the forum exclusive to members and you will get the Heartland Highlights news letter. It is a quarterly news letter with rally updates, stories, recipes, safety tip and so on. We are always looking for submissions so if you have something you want to add I can get you in touch with our editor Erica Dorsey (travel tiger)

4th. You will get a 10% discount on parts ordered through Heartland. Just give your member number when ordering.

5th. The owners club pack. It will have some Heartland branded items along with name tags and an HOC plaque

wdk450

Thanks for the replies. I am glad I found my way back to this thread.

Bobchar: An easy way to find threads you have posted in, is to put your username in the search bar available at the upper right of each forum page.