Broken Spring Hanger

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I recently broke the rear spring hanger on our 2018 Cyclone 4250. As you can imagine it was a big problem. I am wondering if this is common or just a stroke of bad luck. I am considering adding supports to all six hangers. Does anyone here have any experience or recommendations for this? TIA

Attachments

• Hanger.jpg
    Hanger.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 136

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I recently broke the rear spring hanger on our 2018 Cyclone 4250. As you can imagine it was a big problem. I am wondering if this is common or just a stroke of bad luck. I am considering adding supports to all six hangers. Does anyone here have any experience or recommendations for this? TIA

Not just you. Last year heading to NJ Rally....
c7c942ce460f0199487f0d992bc1593f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Yes broke right rear on June 19th pulling into Elkhart County Fairgrounds for repairs at Affinity RV in Goshen. We had a mobile welder come out, $350 later we could move again.
Our solution is an appointment at Moryde for IS installation in late October.

LBR

We broke one and the other side was half broken thru on our 3 axle CY... it's a common problem. Installed a cross brace on the rear shackles to help keep frame rails from flexing.
9266f72f422f70a2ec1c95d9345d22e0.jpg

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
We broke one and the other side was half broken thru on our 3 axle CY... it's a common problem. Installed a cross brace on the rear shackles to help keep frame rails from flexing.

Do you have the manufacture of the brace and where you bought it. My Google search did not find anything.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Yes broke right rear on June 19th pulling into Elkhart County Fairgrounds for repairs at Affinity RV in Goshen. We had a mobile welder come out, $350 later we could move again.
Our solution is an appointment at Moryde for IS installation in late October.

Now that's an excellent solution.

Flick

Yes, that twisting on the rear axle of triple axle trailers and also the front axle to a lesser degree hurts me when I see it happening on tight turns. The shear force is unbelievable. Good idea to beef up those hangers in advance and to always do a visual of that area on your pre trip inspection.
But I still like my triple axle trailer for now.

Dmetcalf

I’m following this discussion because I also have a 3 axle Cyclone so this would be an important upgrade for me to get done.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
9266f72f422f70a2ec1c95d9345d22e0.jpg

Did the kit come with a wet bolt long enough for the correct track plates and cross member or did you have to source those 2 bolts elsewhere? Or is that a specific cross member for the front or rear shackles?

jbeletti

Jeff - contact Lippert Customer Service (866-524-7821) tomorrow and open up a ticket with them. They may assist with this.

For others, MOR/ryde makes their X-Factor cross-brace that looks somewhat similar to the one posted here. Not sure this one is MOR/ryde.

I have 1 X-Factor on my TT and considering adding 2 more.

Last edited:

LBR

Did the kit come with a wet bolt long enough for the correct track plates and cross member or did you have to source those 2 bolts elsewhere? Or is that a specific cross member for the front or rear shackles?

The wet bolts are a separate item. This cross member will fit my front and back shackles....a different part number is used for the the hangers between front to middle and middle to rear tires.

rdufek

Been there done that. Dexter has also posted a solution which I went with. Been 2 years, all has been good.

IMG_2454.jpgIMG_2483.jpgIMG_2459.jpgIMG_2480.jpg

Flick

After studying the picture posted by jleavity11, reading the replies from other posters and then examining the hangers on my Cyclone, it is very plain to see, in my opinion, why the hangers may be failing.
It appears that when the hangers are formed and pressed to form the hanger shape, it leaves an indentation on the inside of the hanger that creates a weak spot. It’s kind of like scoring a piece of sheetrock and then breaking it of. Any movement side to side could cause the hanger to break off. The hanger weld will never break but the hanger itself at the bends as shown in the picture are true weak spots.
It’s my opinion that maybe these hangers should be re-engineered. It’s not right for anyone to have to reconstruct or beef them up on their own to be safe or to pay another company for an expensive fix.

wdk450

It's a Morryde product.

Here is some info on the MorRyde X;Factor brace. In doing the search for this link, I noted that it was shown to be available on E-Bay and Amazon.
https://www.morryde.com/products/x-factor-crossmember/

Years back, I had a terrible twisting of the 2 I beams centered on the axles. My independent welder straightened out the I beams as much as possible, removed the unsavable portions, bridged those portions with thick wall rectangular steel tubing, and made crossbracing like the X factor out of the same thick wall steel tubing.

Part of the Mor Ryde IS installation frame modification is to build a steel tubing "box" between the I beams within which the IS axles are installed. Again, this controls I beam twisting.

BTW, the MorRyde IS eliminates conventional spring suspension springs, hangars, bushings, wet bolts, U bolts, and equalizers.

travelin2

The wet bolts are a separate item. This cross member will fit my front and back shackles....a different part number is used for the the hangers between front to middle and middle to rear tires.

The morryde catalogue only shows the item used at the center equalizer location. I figured there has to be a different one for the front/rear shackle location

Thanks

I had 3 MorRyde X-Factor Braces installed on our Bighorn, in addition to Disc Brakes & Wet Bolts at the National Rally in 2019.
The job was done by Performance Trailer Brake.

Hockster

Gary521

The MorRyde X Factor for the Correct Track has the part number U021-015 . The X Factor for the equilizer and non Correct Track has a different part number. Lippert has a sales U Tube video that shows the action of their equilizer. In this video, you can see the spring hangers flexing on the spring ends. After seeing this and finding that these spring hanger failures seem to happening with some regularity. I am getting a couple of these X Factors after realizing all of this. I think the angle iron welded to the hangers will work just as well but this is something I can add myself.Here is the Lippert video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp5iRVPwYZg

travelin2

The MorRyde X Factor for the Correct Track has the part number U021-015 . The X Factor for the equilizer and non Correct Track has a different part number. Lippert has a sales U Tube video that shows the action of their equilizer. In this video, you can see the spring hangers flexing on the spring ends. After seeing this and finding that these spring hanger failures seem to happening with some regularity. I am getting a couple of these X Factors after realizing all of this. I think the angle iron welded to the hangers will work just as well but this is something I can add myself.Here is the Lippert video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp5iRVPwYZg

Thanks. I saw the 2 part numbers and thought maybe that. I think I’ll be calling morryde too. I can’t weld but I can torque some bolts. LOL!!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks. I saw the 2 part numbers and thought maybe that. I think I’ll be calling morryde too. I can’t weld but I can torque some bolts. LOL!!

Picked up a set of three last year at Goshen. The two ends with the Correct Track were a different part number than the center equalizer one. I still have them sitting in the garage somewhere. I should get around to putting them on.