Buying someting to cover slide out. Brands? AWNING OR TOPPER?

Okay, two fold question:

1. What are the benefits, cost differences, etc. between getting an awning installed over the slide out versus a topper?

Am I correct to assume the awning is not automatic, and can get torn up during storms when you might need it the most for slide out roof protection?

2. Whatever you think is best --- I'm assuming again it will be the topper --- what about the different brand names/manufacturers of the toppers? I'm just so totally new to all of this. I have made many errors in purchases on other things... LIKE GENERATORS... in the past. I would like to draw on the expertise of others before we buy. This will be a huge dent in our budget if we do it.

Thanks,

traveler44

The only awnings or toppers I've seen are the kind that automatically roll in and out with the slide out. We had ours installed before leaving the dealers when we bought the bighorn. If they didn't roll in and out automatically they would have to be removed and stored somehow before towing. Check them out at some Heartland dealers they can tell you what they cost and install them too. Tom M.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Angie & Larry, The awning probably isn't a good idea for use as a slide out cover. Mainly for the reasons you already thought of.
There are 2 major brands, AE and Carefree. I don't know which is better because I've never had a slide out topper. If you do the majority of your camping in open areas, you might consider saving your hard earned cash. Owners that have toppers mostly love them. Either way, it's not something you have to purchase right away, it can be added at a later date and probably for less than adding it as an option when you buy the trailer.

Ray, thanks for the 2nd name. I will compare the Carefree I found to the AS.

I wish we didn't need one! Who invented sweet gum trees anyway? When I get it out of storage in a few days, I have to park it at end of our driveway (covenants). That's under huge literally 50' tall) sappy trees (including one that drops those awful balls. I hope the cover will keep the majority of the trash off the slide & out of the inside of the camper.
>>Don't laugh, but do I need to lightly sweep it off anyway before pulling it in?<<
Just in the summer, when we are home, we sometimes take our 6 1/2 year-old grandchild "camping" in the driveway. :D Often, actually. We pretend we are in Yosemite & we can't go back in for anything. :)) Plus, the time I spend cleaning it between our dozen Nascar trips in the summer, plus trying to reorganize and pare down the contents (lighten up) after each trip... well, in other words, the slide stays open a lot when we are here. Nasty. I wish I had a leprecaun to keep it swept off for me! Also wish some toppers had a sort-of non-stick material; I'd know which one to buy.

Your comments are helpful. I'm learning that I should list all issues (like trees) in original question, so others will know it's a need, more than an option. Thanks again!

brianharrison

Hello Angie and Larry,

As noted, the slide toppers are a good idea to prevent debris on the top of slide and keeping it clear for when you retract the slide. The Carefree of Colorado and the Dometic AE toppers are equally as good for this function.

The SOKII w/ Deflector from Carefree has a full metal enclosure over the roll that doubles as a "scraper' to help clear the top of the topper when it rolls back up when the slide retracts. I have found this usefull. I have not seen a full enclosure Dometic AE to know if it works the same way. Here is a link to Carefree --> http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/carefree/products?action=product&productid=47&categoryid=38 The non full enclosure works well if the debris falls off and is not stuck to the fabric (sometimes wet leaves roll up in mine if there is a heavy dew. This is fixed by rolling it out again when it can dry.

To answer your other question, if you do not have a topper, it is a good practise to sweep the top of the slide if there is A LOT of debris. Otherwise the top rubber seal may "sweep" it and catch it between the slide flange and the outside of the trailer. No big deal and most stuff on the top of the slides is small and not damaging to the trailer or slide.

As my boys got older, this was their favorite part of going home after camping, heading up on top of the trailer and sweeping off the debris. Now I just buy the toppers on the trailer. I guess I could go up there, just choose not to....lol

Take care,
Brian

Brian, thanks!!! Just what needed know. Curious though... are you familiar with the SOKIII? Wondered if it's worth the extra money. Unless I'm missing something, the only difference I see is that it's prettier, and maybe better aluminum? We plan to keep our camper for a long time but probably not more than 5 years. Although we keep our cars more like twenty! Ha. My husband will probably say we will keep this one for ten. Not sure is that means we should buy the most expensive topper or not. Do you have an opinion on the III model? if it's mostly just for looks I would go for the cheaper one.

Also didn't know the AE is made by Domestic. That helps to know, too. Great help! Thanks again!