By (Popular?) Demand - Our Ownership Story

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Re: By (Popular?) Demand - Our Ownership Story [Updated Defect List]

Well I disagree. Those sensors are intended to work and should work. The only ones that read incorrectly for me were in the two Keystone trailers I owned.

5 years and ours are still working fine.

Well it's at the dealer. They have a month to get through what they can. We had a good long discussion and walk through about everything on the list. If they can't get through everything, we will have to pick it up and bring it back and they'll have another month with it, then we go out for 5 weeks in it and so on.

Days to build it.....months to fix it........REALLY!!!!

buddyboy

We can debate the functionality of sensors until we're blue in the face. I've related our personal experiences and you've related yours. We don't rely on their readings ever.

I also believe that had the OP had taken a pause in his travels and had his trailer's issues addressed when they occurred initially (even by mobile technicians as we've used after approval) this would not have been a discussion point now. I know my husband and I would not have waited to have burning smells in an appliance or propane smells or windows leaking like sieves addressed. Granted these should not have been an issue to begin with, but we would have addressed when they first began.

These are my opinions of the situation as I have read the postings.

Martha

Rhyph

We can debate the functionality of sensors until we're blue in the face. I've related our personal experiences and you've related yours. We don't rely on their readings ever.

I also believe that had the OP had taken a pause in his travels and had his trailer's issues addressed when they occurred initially (even by mobile technicians as we've used after approval) this would not have been a discussion point now. I know my husband and I would not have waited to have burning smells in an appliance or propane smells or windows leaking like sieves addressed. Granted these should not have been an issue to begin with, but we would have addressed when they first began.

These are my opinions of the situation as I have read the postings.

Martha

I genuinely appreciate all of the help everyone has been giving. However, we've had 9+, now will be going on 10 months of pause going in to time sitting at the dealer to correct problems. They keep coming back, new ones develop and there's nothing I/we can do to control that. Stating that had I taken a pause early is less than complete and shortsighted view of the entire situation since the rolling earthquake had already spent copious amounts of times having various major issues fixed. The window leak must have started while sitting at the dealer last go in, because you know, it spends most of its life there instead of in our enclosed storage unit. Why is it the shoddily built trailer we invested in, has a rear window sliding down in it's opening is beyond me. So please don't sit there and position yourself disdainfully like I should have done it better or differently, because that is no help to my already extremely stressful situation where I'm sitting here watching a depreciating asset that we've worked very hard for to enjoy disintegrating before our eyes.

Rhyph

Here we go again. It's been sitting at the dealership, checked out with items submitted to Heartland going in to the second week there. Heartland is not responding to me or the dealer.

Kahoney

Well as I read through this thread I feel it prudent to tell my story. We have had our Heartland for less than 1.5 years and 2 weeks ago ordered a new rig. We are not ever going to be heartland owners again unless there is a EXTREEM change in all aspects from construction to ownership of the company. From getting it home from the dealer and trim falling off the walls to something going wrong every single time we took it out we couldn't afford not to get rid of this rig.

I am going to miss this forum for it is very user friendly and the folks are very supportive.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Well as I read through this thread I feel it prudent to tell my story. We have had our Heartland for less than 1.5 years and 2 weeks ago ordered a new rig. We are not ever going to be heartland owners again unless there is a EXTREEM change in all aspects from construction to ownership of the company. From getting it home from the dealer and trim falling off the walls to something going wrong every single time we took it out we couldn't afford not to get rid of this rig.

I am going to miss this forum for it is very user friendly and the folks are very supportive.

Sorry you had so many issues. You don't have to give up the forum, though! It's open to anyone. Club membership is for owners only. Continue to read and participate when you can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here we go again. It's been sitting at the dealership, checked out with items submitted to Heartland going in to the second week there. Heartland is not responding to me or the dealer.
Your experience is horrible xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We we have had our share of issues with our Bighorn but not anything near the extent you have. I've noticed a lot of shoddy workmanship but most is easily dealt with. We did have our awning replaced under warranty and are currently dealing with a defective rim which caused a persistent air leak in a tire. We had major issues with our residential refrigerator caused by improper installation of slam latches at the factory. We now have a new refrigerator without the slam latcheS

We we too had issues with kitchen plumbing leaks and the broken welds on the overhead kitchen fixture.
We live in our BH and could not imagine having to leave it at the dealers for a month while they sorted out all the details to get it repaired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bones

I can only give a little bit of advice for all of those who are having some issues some major. Life is too short to get hung up on the little details. Look at the big picture and see yourself down the road having a good time because eventually all of those issues big and small will resolve and become subject of discussion in the later years and possible laughter. I like to say that you are never too old, never too young and never too wise to learn more, you just have to be willing. I will continue to help if I can and provide advice along the way. Good Luck. :):cool::D

Hunter11

We have had our unit for 16 months and have had what I would call major issues with it since we got it home. We live in this unit full time.

Bedroom Slide Seal failed and water leaked into cabinets in slide twice before it could be repaired. Heartland sent the wrong seal three times.
Roof membrane and decking completely replaced due to delamination
Bed removed and bedroom floor screwed back down due to decking/flooring coming loose
Bedroom AC unit failed and replaced

These cost us $1200 out of pocket for a hotel while they were being repaired. Also cost me a weeks worth of vacation because I had to stay with our dog. Plus about $300
worth of food we lost when we had to empty the residential fridge because the dealer could not have it connected to electric while doing repairs.

Next round....

Our bedroom slide is now delaminating at the bottom outside edge due to the water leaks from the defective bedroom slide seal
Black tank valve leaking
Large kitchen slide seal appears to be failing as it no longer seals at the top center (I am glad we installed slide covers after we bought the unit)

We are taking it into the dealer in a couple of weeks to have it looked at and for a timeline on repairs but I was told over the phone it could take
2 to 4 weeks for repairs. This means we have to try and rent an apartment for a month at our cost while it is being repaired. Now I will give Heartland
its due that they are so far making good on warranty repairs but we have about decided once we get the thing back from the next round of repairs
we are going to try and trade it off while we still have good equity in it. I do apologize for venting on someone else's thread but for what we paid for this
unit we have had a nightmare with it. Good luck to those of you having problems with your units.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Did you ever contact HL and see if you take to the plant for the repairs?? I have heard a rumor they have hotel/motel close by to stay in.

Hunter11

As a matter of fact I did ask more than once and was told they prefer the work be done local at the dealership they asked me to take it to. I would have gladly taken off work and taken it back to Heartland had they approved it. As much work as this unit has had done to it they probably would have saved money by having us do that.

Bob&Patty

Ok, I understand. The 21 bay service center has only been open a couple of months now. Maybe your request was before that time.

danemayer

The new service facility is initially focused on repairs that are beyond the capability of local dealers. At the rally in June, Jim Fenner explained that he hoped to eventually expand beyond that and offer fee-based service.

Rhyph

Per Brandon Fish, the service bay is not going to be available directly to customers this year, possibly into some time next year. They don't have the staff for it, which is why we haven't taken ours back to them.

Our Bighorn has now sat at the dealer this past month with nothing done because once again Heartland is not doing anything to communicate with them. The dealer ensures me that Heartland has had the claim list for weeks now and they've contacted them several times to get no answers.

I pick it up tomorrow, so we'll see just how much more water damage its been taking while sitting on the lot, among all the other issues.

@Hunter11 - thanks for making up my mind to not trade out for a Landmark.

kowAlski631

Have you contacted Heartland yourself? We've heard of many instances where the dealer said that they were in contact with Heartland only to discover that Heartland had never received information needed. Just saying.

Bob&Patty

"Our Bighorn has now sat at the dealer this past month with nothing done because once again Heartland is not doing anything to communicate with them. The dealer ensures me that Heartland has had the claim list for weeks now and they've contacted them several times to get no answers. "

Have you called HL yourself....***. Sometimes attitudes get in the way of a positive result. Also the fact that you positively will not leave it somewhere to get fixed until you are through camping for the year as stated by you in several of your post on this thread. SIR.

Rhyph

"Our Bighorn has now sat at the dealer this past month with nothing done because once again Heartland is not doing anything to communicate with them. The dealer ensures me that Heartland has had the claim list for weeks now and they've contacted them several times to get no answers. "

Have you called HL yourself....probably not. Sometimes attitudes get in the way of a positive result. Also the fact that you positively will not leave it somewhere to get fixed until you are through camping for the year as stated by you in several of your post on this thread. SIR.

I have called them once a week over the past 3 weeks. It's been left there at the dealership for the past month, I'm not sure what you're talking about or you have been failing to read and keep up.

danemayer

Guys,

I think we've had a pretty thorough discussion of these problems. There have been plenty of suggestions made and Rhype seems pretty actively involved in trying to get to a resolution.

At this point I think we're all very interested in hearing how the problems get resolved.

If you think you have something new to add, before posting, please go back and read the entire thread so as to avoid rehashing previous comments.

Bob&Patty

Yes I have read and re-read the thread from cover to cover, and I stand by my statement At first, I felt bad for you. But as time and post's wore on it seemed that you were just refusing to help yourself or maybe not. Your choice I guess. I guess Dan edited out some insults from you to me. That does not change any of the facts.

OVER AND OUT