Cable TV has no reception

JimnDonna

Our Bighorn Traveler 2018 32RS has never received cable TV since new. During warranty period, the technicians blew us off and documented "USER ERROR" every time we explained that the cable does not receive get any channels.
Is there a method to test the coax cables to confirm if a signal is present before tearing walls apart to chase cable connectors?

Thanks
Jim

danemayer

I'm sure someone will chime in with a recommendation for a tone device to check the wires. But before doing that, did the techs explain that the signal booster has to be OFF for cable, and ON for antenna? Also, is it clear which outside connector is for cable and which is for satellite?

Mrz

Our Bighorn Traveler 2018 32RS has never received cable TV since new. During warranty period, the technicians blew us off and documented "USER ERROR" every time we explained that the cable does not receive get any channels.
Is there a method to test the coax cables to confirm if a signal is present before tearing walls apart to chase cable connectors?

Thanks
Jim

Jim, once you validated the amplifier is on, go into the storage compartment on the passenger side and remove the first left side wall panel. Look around and you will see a cable TV splitter. Remove that and replace. They are cheap and that may be your problem. It happened to me and that splitter was bad.

wdk450

If you have a DVM with a resistance scale and a small alligator jumper you can test coax cables for continuity and shorts. Home Depot and other places sell coax continuity/shorts small testers.

1. First disconnect the coax cable from other stuff at both ends. At either cable end apply your DVM set up to test resistance (or continuity) to the center wire and the screw-on nut. You should have infinite Ohms or no continuity tone. This tests for cable shorts.
2. Then using your alligator jumper clip (or small wire, or even aluminum foil) make an intentional short between the center coax signal wire and the screw-on nut which should be connected to the coax shield. Now measure the cable for resistance/continuity at the other end of the cable. You should have near 0 Ohms / continuity tone. This 2nd test checks for open circuits in the coax.

These tests are basic DC tests for shorts and opens in the cable. Cable/Satellite TV requires the coax to be able to pass very high frequencies up to the Gigahertz area of the spectrum. Some cables that have been crushed or bent too severely will pass the DC shorts and opens tests, but will not have the high frequency bandwidth to pass the needed cable/satellite signals. Electronic testers for that can cause thousands of dollars. Best bet if bandwidth problems are suspected is to buy new satellite rated RG-6 coax, and temporarily swap it in place of the suspect bad cable, then test the system performance.

Good Luck!!!

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders

Thanks
Jim

Here is how I test the cable connections.

https://www.amazon.com/Locations-Explorer-Klein-Tools-VDV512-101/dp/B076DP1534/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=satellite+cable+tester&qid=1583873835&sr=8-3

mlpeloquin

Jim, once you validated the amplifier is on, go into the storage compartment on the passenger side and remove the first left side wall panel. Look around and you will see a cable TV splitter. Remove that and replace. They are cheap and that may be your problem. It happened to me and that splitter was bad.

Your amplifier should be off for cable and on for antenna. So make sure it is off.

philbrook

I had (have) the same issue with my new Big Country. Back to dealer twice. The second time they had to remove and replace coax cables. Finally satellite tv in living area but still zip in the bedroom. I agree with prior comment about splitter being bad. I fixed bedroom by finding a raceway to run new coax from satellite box on top of dresser to original screw on connector in water fill area of basement . Disgusted with dealership repairs. :(

wdk450

If you have a vcr or dvd player, most of them have an RF output jack, which you can use as an RF signal generator, along with a small tv to track down cabling problems. Coax barrel connectors and jumper pieces of coax can help make things reach each other.

When in doubt, substitute in good coax lengths unmounted, and or new splitters until the problem is isolated. Only use high bandwidth (satellite rated) coax and splitters for testing and replacement.

Flick

Thanks
Jim

I know this is to simple for me to say this. And someone has already mentioned input. If this has been discussed already, feel free to trash this.
Press input to make sure the input is on tv.
Press menu and scroll across to channel.
Scroll down to air/cable.
Go to cable.
“If nothing else is the problem” , cable will work.
And as has been mentioned, be sure the correct coax outside from pedestal is being used.
“ “ “ “ “ , be sure the amplifier for air tv is off.

bob.karen

i can get cable reception in the bedroom but not the living room. i have tried every possible combination of switches, etc. no go. been like that from day 1

danemayer

i can get cable reception in the bedroom but not the living room. i have tried every possible combination of switches, etc. no go. been like that from day 1

The coax path from bedroom to living room usually goes through the pass through basement storage area. Look for a coax wall plate on the rear wall. Behind it you'll find a splitter. Check all connections there.

Flick

The coax path from bedroom to living room usually goes through the pass through basement storage area. Look for a coax wall plate on the rear wall. Behind it you'll find a splitter. Check all connections there.

Reading all prior post, seems most everything has been suggested. Try running a dedicated coax from the park pedestal thru the door to the tv that works. Guaranteeing that tv still works, then run that coax to the tv that doesn’t work when on cable. If it now works, then you will have to find the splitter mentioned. Use that known good coax from the pedestal to find out where your faulty connection is. On one end or the other you have a connection that is bad. If not, it could be in the tv.

SNOKING

There was also many cases of the coax cable to the living room slide having barrel connector just inside the frame rails that came disconnected and/or were not tighten correctly. For that matter every coax connector in our 2017 3575el was not tightened very well, including on the back side of face plates and docking station.

Also the cable input is on the sidewall of the docking station and not one of the four on the back wall of the docking station. Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
i can get cable reception in the bedroom but not the living room.

i have tried every possible combination of switches, etc. no go. been like that from day 1

I had the very same problem in my Prowler 5'ver...

Cable and antenna in the bedroom...and only antenna in the living room, but no cable.

In my search to find the problem, I pulled the AM/FM/CD/DVD stereo unit out of the cabinet to see what was in there and discovered a coax splitter in there...one side going to the TV and the other was connected to the antenna wire of the stereo.

In order to actually reach inside the hole to get at the splitter, I had to unhook all the wires to the stereo and completely remove the unit.

And this is where it gets good...

When I pulled the splitter to the opening and unhooked the stereo's antenna from the splitter...POOF!...the cable TV came up on the screen! :eek:

"WHAT?", I thought to myself.

So I plugged the radio antenna back into that splitter and the picture disappeared...unplugged it and the cable was back!

Did that about 10 more times to verify that this was the problem...

Needless to say, I purchased a marine/boat antenna for the stereo and mounted it on the wall inside of the cabinet and finally had cable TV to the living room of the 5'ver.

ProwlerNewTV-P2171727.jpg