Camping World KATY, TX. - BEWARE

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
So Last weekend I picked up my 300C that I had in for service. I picked it up late Friday 14th. Made it to the store right at closing to sign the papers for the service and by time I made it out to the trailer it was already dark. The battery was dead on the trailer which is normal as it sat at Camping World for almost 3 months with the last couple weeks in the servcie department getting looked at.

While waiting on my buddy I noticed that a window was shattered on the main Slide Out. The Store was already closed and there was nobody to report that to. At that point I was a bit mad but whatever, accidents happen. I wasn't even going to ask Camping World to replace it due to dealing with the hassle. Just gonna get a glass guy out to replace it and live life.

Anyways, I waited on my buddy to show up and I was able to charge the RV battery as my loaner pickup had a 7-way. My buddy showed up around 730 and we left with the trailer.

We used the trailer that weekend at a cook off. On Sunday morning when hooking up to bring the trailer to my house we Noticed a HOLE in the front cap and a Chip on the center of the Cap. Now I was a bit mad and I was going to bring this and the window to Camping Worlds attention.

So Monday morning I was able to get ahold of the Service Manager at CW Katy TX. I sent him pictures of it. A Couple days go by and I heard nothing from him. Called a few times with no answer or call back.

My truck was still in the shop and I had my buddy come by and we brought the trailer back to Camping World on Friday. I spoke the the Service Manager in person and the first thing he tells me is they did not do this. He said he had no idea how they could damage the cap as they do not have a Fork Lift that can raise up to 7ft - 8ft high... Yes that is correct, they have Fork Lifts that can handle the Pin Weight of a 300c 8ft from the Mask but doesn't reach 8ft!!!! As they have to use the extended Forks due to the goofy front design of a 300C. Which is BS, I know that.

For the life on me I can not figure out how I would have did this. If I would have hit something I think it would have also hit my pickup. It is not nearly high enough for it to be something hanging off of a powerline. This damage was not made by something organic like a tree limb due to the markings it made either entering the hole or exiting the hole.

He did say that they will pull the video of the trailer coming in for Service in August. If the damage is not there they will expect the damages. But then the GM calls my dad (My dad was a salesman there since they opened and just recently left). He briefly told him that becasue I also store the RV in their storage lot that they are not responsible for any damages.

But here is the thing, I did not bring the trailer in for storage, I brought it in for service. There is a service ticket generated for the last time I brought it in.

Now, I have tried to call the Service Manager all week with no answer and no return call. I went to the store yesterday and he had just left due to being ill. SO I have not heard what they found on the video as of yet, been trying each day to get a answer.

IMAG10261_zpse0df5ac0.jpg

IMAG10251_zps41b89f1e.jpg

IMAG10271_zps76768612.jpg

IMAG10281_zpscbab8a6a.jpg

danemayer

Looks like the damage goes from right to left. That makes me think it might have hit something while backing up with the rear of the trailer turning to the door side.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Looks to me like a hole caused by a fork on a forklift. Are thay trying to tell you no one noticed this when it was written up when you brought it in for service?? It was not noticed by anyone while it was there so they could CYA??

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
Nobody can account for the damage to the trailer, or I should say nobody is willing to admit to the damage. The only thing that I will have on myside is when they pull the video of the trailer entering the fenced off area that separates the parking lot from the service area. This will be the video of when the trailer came in during August for service on the power issue I had. If the video shows there is no damage to the cap then I will have a leg to stand on.

RoadJunkie

If you haven't done so already, read your work order terms and conditions. Evaluate your liability based on the T&Cs, often times the company limits it's liability for anything left on their lot, regardless of whether or not "storage" is defined. The owner is typically responsible for providing comprehensive insurance of their unit. Regardless, your posting is a great service to the rest of us and offers your experience as an example to ensure a unit is in good physical condition and the repairs are complete prior to accepting the unit and leaving their facility. Quite often we are too trusting and maybe in a hurry when we accept our units as complete and in the condition they were prior to being dropped off. I remember one anecdotal story regarding a owner that was having their water heater replaced. Well, it was replaced and hanging out of the coach as he drove down the road. I myself took my truck in for a repair and ($1200) later noticed a small dent in the hood that was not previously there. How do I prove the dent was caused by a careless technician and did not occur later, since I had already driven it off the lot?

I do like your attitude about "living life". Perhaps the business will help with the repairs, and maybe it will be an opportunity to get the cap painted. I would love to have a painted cap. Good Luck!

Greengas

When I was having similar problems with Camping World I went to the RV.net website and to the Ask Marcus link and submitted my problem. I got a call back the same day letting me know they got my note and will be having someone contact me within a day with further guidance. I then was contacted by the Camping World service manager (not the store but the company) and lets just say that things got worked out very quickly. I would recommend going that route. Just a thought.

Lynn1130

I'm with Dan. Looks like a right to left (back to front) hit and the width appears to be a fork on a fork lift.

TXTiger

When you bring in a vehicle for service a inspection is done on its condition and any defects are listed so that the shop has a record and they can't be held liable. If nothing was noted regarding the damage you have described on the drop off paper work then it would be reasonable to assume that the damage happened while in the repair shop. Even if their paper work limits their liability and requires you the owner to have insurance, if any damage occurs because of the shops negligence the shop would be liable. This limitation of liability would only be due to theft beyond their control assuming they have taken reasonable and necessary steps to secure the lot.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
It has been a very bad two weeks for me. This trailer and how Camping World is handling it has made it even worst. We were about to trade this trailer off as we need a 14ft Garage now. The trailer we went has been located. But that is now delayed for how long? I am sure I can tell you how much a bag of groceries cost before I can guess that date!!!!

But what started off the chain of bad events was a mishap with my wife putting 26gallons of gas in my pickup and then driving almost 100 miles in it. I can tell you first hand that a 2012 F350 PSD was not a happy camper after that. Insurance claim and a week later I got the pickup back.

FiremanBill

Two things I have learned from this forum, and with personal experience... run, don't walk, run away from anything that says camping world or towmax.

whp4262

A single mast forklift will usually go up at least 123 inches (10 ft), double mast around 150 inches and a triple around 180 - 190 inches. Without seeing their forklifts I would call BS on their claim that they don't have a lift that will go 8 feet high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chippendale

After reading this, I think the next time I take my rig in for repair I am going to walk around with the service manager as he writes it up and take "date stamped pictures" from every angle. I know it will hack him off, but may also prevent a problem like mattpopp is having.

Sandpirate69

I had a similar issue back in may of this year. Several dents & scratches on the non-door side. The service manager got upset because I called him on the damage. I then pulled my phone out with time & date stamped photos. It was solved right there. Now I do the same, if I have to return to the stealership. Lessons learned.

RoadJunkie

Date stamped pictures are great. I always take a pic of my electric meter when I check in (when I'm on monthly, "plus electric"). It saved my wallet on at least one occasion when they wanted to overcharge me. Sorry for the off-topic.

BBslider001

I think what I really can't believe is that anyone still takes their vehicles to dealerships or their RVs to Camping World. I wouldn't take ANYTHING to them for service. I wouldn't let them feed and water my dog, let alone touch any vehicle of mine. This should be common knowledge for the consumer before even purchasing an RV. Unfortunately though, it is not. My own personal story:

Way back when (like 15 years ago), I took my Ford 7.3 for a much needed oil change. It was winter in Colorado and we were on the road, so I figured I would take it this one time and not do it myself. Long story even longer, the service writer took my "special coupon" for an $89 oil change and then tried to charge me $189 dollars for an oil change on a "diesel" which they considered a special vehicle. I knew I was in trouble. The oil change, with the coupon, was supposed to be $89. When I raised a stink about it, the very "educated" service writer tried to tell me that Rotella 15w-40 was synthetic and that is why the extra $100 was applied. I promptly asked for my keys, got a gallon jug of the same oil out of my toolbox and said "you mean this 15w-40 conventional oil right here?" He replied "yes". The trick was to get my keys. I threw $100 bill at him and got in my truck and drove away. The oil filter wasn't on tight and blew oil out all over the bottom of the truck. I keep an oil filter wrench in my toolbox. I tightened it and then I went to WalMart, bought oil and a filter, and laid under the truck in 20* weather to change it myself . I wasn't even confident they had done the job correctly. LESSON: do what you can do yourself, even if it requires a little suffering. Don't trust ANYONE, especially Camping World to service your truck or RV.

I am sorry for your troubles. Always use a local small business if you can. On a positive side, last year I took our trailer to our local trailer shop to have bearings done and a brake magnets replaced. When they had it, they did the same thing and accidentally hit the front cap with a forklift and put a decent hole in it. Not only did they replace the front cap, they also did not charge me one dime for the work they did, which amounted to about $600 when it was all done, just for the inconvenience. If I can't do it myself, they will always get my business just for how they handled the incident.

Sorry for going on and on. Just trying to say that there are good mechanics and trailer guys out there....just NOT Camping World. I am convinced they just feed off of newbies and the older generation for their income. They overcharge for service and products and the poor newbie RV owner has no idea. It sucks and its sad, but it's true.

dave10a

Is it a sign of the times that no one is willing to accept responsibility for their actions?

bob34787

I personally have had good service from my local CW in Winter Garden, I do not have a lot of faith in the CW in Kissimmee where I purchased my Landmark. I would appear that they never thought much about washing the underside of a unit delivered in the winter so needless to say I now routinely have to deal with rust issues on a new RV. Since I believe the OP posted this on the RVnet site with no resolution from Marcus or his rapid response team it will not end well for him.